Question about number of inputs and DAW integration

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Question about number of inputs and DAW integration

This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

Cheers dhak!

Got it – the routing was so simple it would never have occurred to me to do it this way 🙂 I can now crush all my drums to death with analogue compression – AWESOME! 🙂

Still amazed at how good this console sounds…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Great! Yes, QU sounds really good!
    It has a “particular flavour” as does all equipment.
    Can you tell me your work flow?
    As in drums /vocals out of groups back into Stereo inputs?
    This has me thinking….
    You can PM me?

I was using QU as sound card (next to my GSR) from PC last few days doing some 2 track mastering with 1K multimedia & soundforge. It made life easy!

cheers

daveNZ

Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

Hey dhak,

Well, I’m using two of the mix outs to send aux signals to external spring reverbs and tape delays, which are routed back in to two stereo tracks.

What I’ve also done, is subtract all my drums from the main output, routed them all to a nice analogue compressor, and feed that back into the third stereo track. So instead of using the ‘normal’ faders for level adjustments of individual drums, I use the sends to the mix out. Works perfectly.

I’ve done the same for lead vocals: remove from main out, send to external analogue eq and compressor, and route back in on a mono channel, using the ‘send’ to the mix output as the level control. Obviously, the louder the output, the harder the compressor is pushed!

This setup works perfectly. The compressors, reverbs and delays in the desk are excellent, but for some things, I prefer analogue!

After only one week, I love this desk!

The ONLY thing that sucks is that I can’t work out a way to route stereo VSTs onto linked mono tracks over USB 🙂

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Thos mix outs could of course be set to be post fader, then you wouldn’t have to switch mixes to adjust them – you’d still be operating on the main layer.

Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion [XAP]Bob!

It would be awesome if I could do everything without switching layers, especially as I’ve routed other tracks like vocals to outboard compressors and stuff.

Unfortunately, my experience with mixer routing is limited to ten years of working ‘in the box’ and some small consoles so I’m not quite sure how your idea would work 🙂 Would you mind giving me a little bit more info, so I know more or less how I might set that up?

Cheers, John

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

The Qu assumes you’ll be using the mixes1-10 for live monitors where a pre fade mix is desired (so fader changes for LR (normally the FOH mix) won’t change the levels in the monitors and annoy the band.)

Set up the mixes you’re sending to your outboard to instead tap the channels post fader, (choose the relevant mix using the blue buttons on the RHS of the console, hold the pre/post button on the LHS of the console, channels that are being tapped pre fade will have their SEL buttons illuminate. Whilst holding the pre/post button, press the SEL key on the relevant channels so they dim, making them post-fader.) If after you’ve set them to post fade you then set the send level to unity, you will have eventually made a subgroup. Obviously you need to ensure that the mix master is also turned up.

If you do all this the fader level changes for the input channels when mixing LR will affect the levels sent to your outboard gear. This means you spend more time in the LR mix and on the channel layer, and spend less time changing layers/fader flipping.

PS, you know there’s a custom fader layer on which you can arrange whatever channels, mix masters, DCAs, returns etc in whatever order you like.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi
    After using the desk (QU32) in lots of various “live scenarios” and also having it in studio
    I dont think you will ever get away from switching layers.
    Thats what this desk is about.
    There will always be some reason to switch to a different layer to check sends or do something..
    What software in your DAW are you using?
    I spent a lot of years using outboard gear with old ADATS… sold that.. changed lives then found myself back (many years later) with an analoge desk controling ITB !?
    weird huh?
    So you are the new frontier using a digital desk OTB with analoge inserts. It virtually flip!?
    I use Reaper where I can direct any signal anywhere back into the desk whether it is a QU or other desk?
    I use a QU16 as a midi driver to drive channels faders ITB and use the QU 16 for a sound card sometimes when I’m working with PC laptop as a sound card as I like to use soundforge and 1K multimedia valve emulation altho I have to do some serious band mixing shortly so I might bring in TLaudio for some insert stuff like you are doing.

I have looked but cant exactly replicate what you are trying to do bring-ing stereo data into the QU with out using 2 channels?

PM if you want
    its good to know their are other PPL out there to comunicate with . unlike the days I remember of modifying Roland Guitar synthessisers when you had no one to ask questions about the gear and PPL thinking youre a space cadet.

cheers

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The other thing you can do is to use the custom layer to bring the faders you want to the surface…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes … cornelius78 is on the ball there.
    Spending less time and developing the Custom layer to suit..
    The onlyer scenario with the custom laye is I have found with the midi that you can not tweak you EQ “going to your DAW” in the midi mode in Custom. You “have to ” flip back to the lower fader bank to do this.
    However in your custom layer you can have midi and DCAs or subgroups etc…

I have not tried [ in a custom fader setup] sending data to DAW and adjusting EQ in a NON MIDI assigned fader? hmm?
    ahh but then the DAW fader wont move accordingly?

cheers

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes Bob is right. especially if you have enough faders and on a QU32 you would think so.
    Interestingly its easy to run out of the faders…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

It would be really helpful to have a seperate post with other users examples of

custom layer setups

with a short explanation about why users have set up their custom layer like that.

Other users could get informative feed back and tips like that.

cheers

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

One thing I NH I do is bring one of a stereo pair up onto the custom layers, the DCA for drums… So minimal faders for the band, add in fx returns etc.

I don’t have groups or matrices on the 16, but getting drums onto one fader is the key to my custom layer, then things like keys on one fader rather than two…

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.