Question about number of inputs and DAW integration

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Question about number of inputs and DAW integration

This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

Dear QU users,

I’m almost going to order myself a QU32. However, there are one or two things that I’ve not been able to figure out yet and I’m hoping someone might be kind enough to enlighten me πŸ™‚

I’m planning to use the QU 32 to hook up and mix my synths and outboard gear. I plan to connect its AES output to my Metric Halo ULN-2, which will power the monitors and be used to record to my DAW.

I’d like to use the USB connection to route tracks from my DAW to the third fader layer, so I can mix and process DAW tracks on the QU 32, in addition to the signals from the ‘physical’ input channels. (This ought to be possible by creating an aggregate device on the Mac, combining the Metric Halo and QU 32.)

First question: does anybody have a good reason why this configuration might be impossible?

Second question: am I correct in thinking that the QU 32 can process a maximum of 40 tracks (including inputs, DAW and outboard returns)? Or have I misunderstood?

The alternative would be to get a Yamaha 019Vi, but the QU 32 seems so much more user friendly and has more faders. And looks a lot nicer πŸ˜‰

Thanks!

John

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

am I correct in thinking that the QU 32 can process a maximum of 40 tracks (including inputs, DAW and outboard returns)? Or have I misunderstood?

Hi John
    My understanding is that there are [analog] 32 inputs with 3 stereo inputs to feed USB B streaming.
    Digitally coming back into the desk from USB B [streaming] there are 32 lines back in. I could be wrong here but I can only find that many.
    However if you are working within a Software system on your MAC or PC and can sub mix ‘within there’ and direct multiple channels you may be able to get them all back in at the same time through the 32 digital channels?
    Stem cell or master parent as called in Reaper software.

I’d like to use the USB connection to route tracks from my DAW to the third fader layer

Do you mean back into the custom user layer from MAC/PC?
    Your Software should be able to do this like a patch bay or matrix?

hope this helps

I’m sure this mixer will do what you want.
    There is a new update arriving very shortly which may help you?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

The Qu isn’t that flexible regarding input routing. You can stream 32 channels from the DAW back to the Qu, but these are hard-mapped to each of the 32 input faders. There is a selection per channel if it is fed from local analog input, dSnake input or “USB input”. “USB input” can be switched globally between 32 channels coming from the DAW or 16+2 channels from the QuDrive (top usb connector).
    Or, to be clear, you can not route any feed from the DAW to any of the stereo inputs.
    The Qu32 has a total of 32+3*2 inputs, which is 38, but it can stream 40 (freely assignable) channels to the ME-1 subsystem.
    The custom layer is used to re-organize faders, for example to combine some channels along with groups, st-ins and DCAs to be accessible without switching layers. It does not add more input sources.
    Not sure why you want to record using the Metric Halo interface. The Qu internally already operates within the digital domain and 32 (assignable) channels are directly recordable into the DAW. The signals won’t improve with an external DAC or AES-to-whatever converter (remember the Qu does not provide a word clock output!).

Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

Thanks dhak and Andreas!

Very helpful info, much appreciated.

Really, what I was wondering is whether I can route tracks from the DAW into the desk and hear the analogue inputs at the same time. So now I understand that it is possible to select the source – DAW or physical input – per individual channel. That’s perfect!

The mic pres and the A/D converters on the Metric Halo are significantly better than anything else I’ve heard so far which is why I prefer to record stuff like vocals and guitars through it – but possibly the Allen & Heath pres and converters will surprise me positively!

Thanks again πŸ™‚

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Ok, understood. Sure, specialized ADCs may make a difference. I’d be worried about synchronizing them within the digital domain. If the Metric Halo may slave itself to the incoming AES stream this may be a solution, but then the mac needs to recognize, that both incoming streams (USB from Qu, FireWire from Metric Halo) are properly synchronized.
    Otherwise somewhere in the system (maybe AudioCore, maybe your DAW) these will be synchronized by resampling at least one of them.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

aggregate device on the Mac

When you get that sorted please let us know!
    I did a little experimenting using Reaper with a firewire GSR24m and QU16 USB B Streaming.
    However I gave up as it started getting a little complex and I like to keep things simple especially after not using the gear for a few weeks doing Live sound.
    However the MAC is capable of doing what you are asking… on your choice of Software or DAW whether it can handle different sources at the same time?
    I do have the Mac running GSR24m with firewire and I did have extra 16 channels being controlled by USB B from a QU16 but then switched to using Ethernet to control those extra channels in the Software or DAW with-in the MAC
    Remember you will need to install the A&H DAW app which says to choose either GLD, Zed or QU… and Mackie Control with Audio or TCPIP for Ethernet control only.
    I actually installed 2 of those A&H APPs , one into a different folder to try to run 2 of them but gave up on that! I think I lost seeing the ‘wood from the trees’!

You’re probably going to have to beg, borrow, hire, or buy to get a QU ‘just to experiment’ to see what you can and cannot do.

Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

Thanks again chaps, this is all very helpful!

If things don’t work as I had in mind, I’ll just hook the monitors up to the A&H directly, and only use the Metric Halo for recording… That ought to be fairly foolproof πŸ™‚

Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

Thanks again for all the tips!

Received the QU 32 last week and I’m most impressed. Apart from the fact that the EQ and summing sound very, very pleasant and un-digital, it’s a very user-friendly piece of equipment. Considering the audio quality and feature set (things like a genuinely good reverb and ten mix outs, for example) it’s quite a bargain. Also, I’m finding it a LOT more pleasant to mix DAW projects on a ‘real’ board instead of ‘in the box’…

Only ONE last thing I can’t work out – so suggestions most welcome: I want to send all drums to an outboard (Tegeler Audio) compressor and route the compressor output back through a stereo in – but I ONLY want to hear the compressed signal, i.e. not the ‘dry’, uncompressed version. Any ideas???

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

If you have a QU32 you might want to send outs through there?
    You will need to turn off the Top layer feed to you main FOH.
    Is that what you are looking for?
    Or send out through a Mix and so you can pick up EFX?
    Remembering to turn off the dry single to FOH
    Good idea, I have an old TL-audio 2U Compressor. I might dig that out :+)

cheers

Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

Hi dhak,

Thanks for replying! Yeah, an outboard analogue compressor on the drum group or vox is awesome πŸ™‚ That TL audio is a nice bit of gear πŸ™‚

Your reply is in the right direction I think – my main problem is that I can’t work out how to switch off channels on the main L-R! Probably something really simple, just haven’t found it in the manual πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sure , youre new to the QU so you need to find it in the Manual.
    Because then you will always remember.
    Believe it. it was one of the last things I learn’t to do.
    How ever.
    Its really good to come to grips with this function especially as you have subgroups.

It is right in the middle Page 20 of the latest version PDF

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I still struggle with the pre/post green switch. To me the top LED is in reverse mode?…
    A bit like some of the old AT radio mics have a RED LED and that means its all good? and when it goes out the battery is flat?

In fact those 2 green push switch’s “signal on/off” to any group mix or group which is selected over on the master section,have got me into trouble in the past where I had to cold boot the system….

Glad to see someone is interfacing analoge outboard gear

anyhow
    cheers

Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

Heheheh πŸ™‚ True: finding something out by trying and succeeding is the best way to remember it!

Looking at page 20 now – I’m guessing it’s it in the bit about Assign mix routing, using the del/assign keys? (I’m not in the studio now, so must try this tomorrow…) Thanks for pointing it out!

Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

I’ve hooked up a ton of analogue outboard, by the way: spring reverbs, tape delay, tube compressors… Perfectly complements the digital desk!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

SONIX time is short.. save you time and the info is at the beginning of that page… still look it up though
    Sel key (select) – Press to access the Channel Processing. Parameters can
    be adjusted using the SuperStrip controls. The touch screen will display the
    settings and provide additional controls if either the Processing or Routing screen
    is active. The Sel key is also used for:
    Assign mix routing – Hold down the β€˜Assign’ key and press Sel keys to
    assign channels to the mix currently selected in the Master Strip. The Sel
    keys light green to show channels assigned to the selected mix.
    Assign Pre/Post fade sends – Hold down the β€˜Pre Fade’ key and press Sel
    keys to toggle channel sends pre or post fader for the mix currently selected
    in the Master Strip. The Sel keys light green to show channels set pre-fade.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.