Question about linking GLD-112

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Question about linking GLD-112

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pdherring pdherring 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tavmedia
    tavmedia
    Participant

I am looking for a digital solution for my church. We currently use two 48ch GL4000 mixers, one for FOH, one for broadcast. They are connected via a large analog splitter. I am trying to figure out my budget with the GLD-112, and trying to understand the connection possibilities with Dante.

Can I do the following:
    *One GLD-112 at FOH, with the AR24 & (2)AR84
    *Connect the second GLD-112 in the broadcast booth via Dante, without the need for a separate set of AR24 & AR84 units and send it all inputs.
    *Also connect a PC via Dante to the second GLD-112 for multi-track recording?
    *Possibly connect a PC to the FOH GLD-112 for multi-track recording if I desired?
    *Are there any other interfaces which would work in this manner, or is Dante the only route?

I am also considering the layout of the mixer surface when dealing with volunteers. For those of you who have used these in church settings or sold them to churches, is there a steep learning curve for volunteers who are used to the GL4000?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

My initial response is yes to the above although I have not actually done one of these type systems yet. Only single GLD. You would not need extra AR boxes for the second console. Just DANTE in both.

As for recording. It is my understanding that should work also. You can set this up using gigabit switches.

As for learning curve. The console is fairly easy. I would say one if the easiest I have seen. I have trained several folks to run one. They were used to large format analog consoles. The big thing is getting it configured. Once done it is just learning to deal with layers and mix routing. Knowing where you are and what you’re seeing vs hearing. I setup many DCA’s to simplify mixing. It is a different thought process but I think most people can adapt to it fairly easy. Usually do instrumental sources on bank 1, pulpit, pastor, vocals, choir on bank 2 and all master DCA’s on right. I have some slightly different approaches to this from being both a live/broadcast sound and commercial studio engineer for 35 years.

Hope that helps some. Will be glad to assist more if I the need arises.

George Cumbee
    Mid-America Communications Audio/Video Services.
    Paducah, KY

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The only real learning issues I’ve seen are with features that the users previous analog console didn’t have. DCAs, Matrix etc.

If they understand how a mixing console works in general, there won’t be much problem learning how to do the same things on the GLD. How good is their understanding of the GL4000?

Chris

Profile photo of pdherring
    pdherring
    Participant

So firstly the learning curve. Once you get the engineers head around the fact that the IOs are separate from the channels and the channels are separate from the faders its easy! That has been my old school analogue guys biggest headache.

As for the Dante side of things. Certainly you wouldn’t need a second set of AR’s although your broadcast desk would only have 4 outputs so as long as that is sufficient then you are fine. You may find it beneficial to have an expander unit connected just so you have another 4 outputs but that depends on what you plan to do with the broadcast desk I guess.

As for the channels, you have the chance to send 64 items of sound in either direction – TOTAL. So this means from the FoH desk you could send all 48 inputs plus if you wanted the LR from the main desk and maybe a group or two etc etc. When you configure Dante using the controller you choose what devices are then set to receive what channels.

Although it is possible and I have done it I would suggest that each multi track machine receive the signal from the primary desk. This is not alway possible and I have done this myself but it did add a lot of extra traffic on the Dante network that was not needed.

The important thing is to make sure you dont add anything that is pointless to the network and then interfere with the QoS on the network.

For example. I did a multitrack the other day. Now when my engineer set it up he set every channel from the desk to record to the mac running reaper…. Now that was fine except 15 of the channels were coming in via dante in the first place. So they were coming into the desk and then the desk was set to send them back out again. I simply changed the controller to allow the recording mac to also receive the 15 channels from the mac running QLab to save on extra processing on the Dante card and extra data on the network.

Basically the long and short of it is that anything is possible with Dante and the GLD but be careful how you implement it so that it doesnt affect your event!

tavmedia
    Participant

Thanks for the replies! I have not worked with Dante as of yet, just wanted to be sure I was on the right track. I recently upgraded all our switches to gigabit and we have vlans in place for the tech team, but I will likely add a separate switch for the consoles anyway.

To answer a few questions, my volunteers understand the GL4000 well. I am still working with their troubleshooting skills in some situations. We have a couple of the Presonus consoles that we use for our mobile setups. While I feel the Presonus products are very simple, it did present a mental challenge for them. After numerous setups with various requirements, they’ve learned their way around those consoles and work with them efficiently. I am hoping they will quickly grasp what’s necessary to operate the GLD consoles in the same manner. If I decide to go with the GLD-112, I will more than likely have an install party one night and bring everyone in to install and test.

Quick question…I noticed the GLD has a “power down” button in the GUI. I assume it’s very necessary to power the mixer up and down via the GUI? I am thinking I will need to power the console separate from the existing power sequencer.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I highly suggest using the power down. I also run them on a UPS unit. They are computers. Better AC equals more reliable performance. So far never a problem in a show.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I will say too that if your guys have time on Presonus they will think they have hit the jackpot with GLD. It is night and day different in user friendly. I have worked on P’s a very few times and felt lost in the clutter of buttons and knobs. To this day I don’t feel real comfortable. No comparison with GLD. They will love it.

tavmedia
    Participant

Thanks for your insight GCumbee. I truly appreciate it…and I run the Presonus consoles with a UPS, I will carry that over to the GLD if I go that route.

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

If you cut power to the desk without using the GUI power down, it’s possible to lose recent settings changes, and the console will also warn that it was improperly powered down on the subsequent boot-up.

*Always* use the GUI power down.

My church transitioned to the GLD from an analog desk with no VCAs and I would say the biggest difference is in the flexibility of the board. I’ve tried a number of diffferent ways of organizing the fader layout and I think I finally have one I’m sticking with (a year after we bought it).

The GLD editor software is a pretty faithful emulation of the console operation so have your techs download it and play around with configuring the console.

Profile photo of pdherring
    pdherring
    Participant

Wouldnt say the UPS is a must but a good idea for sure. The GLD is amazing compared to pretty much all the other digi consoles. I have to use an LS9 at a venue I work at lots and after 3 months of using the GLD every day for 2 very big theatre runs I have gone back to the LS9 for some contracting work and wow its so clunky. Nothing is intuitive! If your guys can get their heads round the Presonus and can use an ipad then they will find the GLD a walk in the park!

Dante will take a little bit to get your head around but once you do its simple! For your engineers its maybe a step too far but the beauty of dante is that once it is set up you shouldnt need to change anything. Also as for switching the networks. Dante is simple and excepts switching and VLan’ing very easily. The managing network again is no problem for anything. The monitor network is fine as long as all the ME-1s or Avioms are on the same VLan. The only thing to be careful with is the DSnake network. A&H say dont switch this network at all but in my experience its possible and works okay. But make sure its on its own VLAN with security set up between that and the other networks. Also it is worth baring in mind that this adds lots of possible points of failure that the standard DSnake network wouldnt have.

Hope this helps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.