Question about Gator Case for SQ-5

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Question about Gator Case for SQ-5

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Michael Michael 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JTRJAMMER
    JTRJAMMER
    Participant

Anyone own one of these from Gator?
    GTOURAHSQ5NDH for Allen & Heath SQ-5
    Curious to know if you can leave the rack rails on. Best I can tell it look like you have to remove them, but would be great to hear from someone who has one.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of KenM
    KenM
    Participant

I have the Gator case. I do not have the rack rails so I can’t answer authoritatively. Looking at how the unit sits in the case, my assumption is that there is no room for rails unless you remove or modify the case cushions.

Profile photo of KenM
    KenM
    Participant

JTR, I have a little buyers remorse for the Gator case. It is a perfect case, but I would have liked something lighter. With further research I would have bought this instead: GTSA-MIX192108 Mixer Case; 19″x21″x8″

Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

I’m using the SKB-r100. It was the smallest and lightest case I could find.

https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=864&o=&c=120&s=

JTRJAMMER
    Participant

Thanks for the input. I’ll check both of those out.

Profile photo of KenM
    KenM
    Participant

Dean, Would you post a pic of your unit in the SKB case?

Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

Sure. Here ya go. With the SKB folding shelf.

You also need the SKB rack ears. Allen and Heath rack ears won’t work.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of KenM
    KenM
    Participant

Dean, Looks nice. I went with the Gator case. It is a bit heavy, but I thought it could be a base for a table so made a table top for it today.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

That looks pretty cool. I will always need a table or a stack of other cases.

Profile photo of Patricio
    Patricio
    Participant

It’s not light, but I sure feel secure about my investment!

Profile photo of Trojac
    Trojac
    Participant

I’ve just bought a QU-16, and I thought the Gator GTSA-MIX192108 looked like a perfect light weight solution, but what gator fail to mention in their description is the 1 inch of protective foam (that feels really like the foam you put flowers in to) is only around the walls of the case, there is no protective foam in the base or lid (except as i said around the wall)
    So the protection to you mixer isn’t great, the metal edging where the lid and base close together was damaged on mine, )it wouldn’t take many knocks i can assure you) so I’ve sent mine back.

So I’m looking again for a lightweight solution to protect mine

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I had my Qu-16 in one of these: Gator Pop-Up Case for many years (with the rack ears obviously). Never had any problems, and I liked the ability to adjust the angle from flat to very steep, depending on where & how I was set up. Enough space under the front of the desk to store my headphones, a 4-way with router, chargers for iPads & phone, and a small bag of adaptors etc

Sold both mixer & case when I upgraded to SQ6, but the new owner is still happily using the same case.

Profile photo of Pristine Audio
    Pristine Audio
    Participant

Hello,

The SKB r-100 does not have internal cushioning, as it is directly rack-mounted. With rack ears adding 3 lb, this case at 16.4 lb, SQ5 at 23 lb, the total weight is 42.5 lb.

The Gator GTSA-MIX192108 is a lower weight, lower cost, better cushioned solution. But it’s not a perfect snug fit like the GTOURAHSQ5NDH.

So it really depends how rough the mixer will be transported. The GTSA-MIX192108 will definitely last the longest and protect the mixer the best with high-density cushioning material, with a carry weight of 48 lb including the mixer. I would have no problem flying with it as checked bag. Yes, you will need to remove the rack ears. I wonder what the purpose is to leave the rack ear on for transport?

JTRJAMMER
    Participant

Reason for leaving rack ears on is that I have a tall road case on wheels with a horizontal rack mount for the mixer, but sometimes I do gigs where I just bring the mixer and DX’s so don’t need or have the space to fit the tall case. Not a huge deal, but nice if I can just leave the rack ears on so switch is quick and easy. Also have a keyboard stand that when closed narrow the mixer sits right between the rails with the rack ears on. Almost got the SKB r-100, but kinda of like the Gator MIX192108 and the version above that has the table top. Have also thought about just getting one of the gig bags that the SQ-5 will fit into.

Profile photo of Pristine Audio
    Pristine Audio
    Participant

The Gator GTSA-MIX192108 should accommodate the SQ5 with rack ears installed, as its internal width is 19″.

The SQ5 is not a light mixer, so I trust myself with it a hard padded case, much more so than with it in a soft case.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.