Question about dLive multi surface and DSP

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Question about dLive multi surface and DSP

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ParkerA1996
    ParkerA1996
    Participant

Hey all,
    First post here! Looking to take out a system in 2022, 2x S5000, 1xDM64. The main point of my questions revolve around DSP and input sharing. Our ideal scenario allows for input expansion on some dates and would require not sharing DSP. Since this is my first time working with the dLive systems, I wanted to make sure I’m not overlooking something major. I am thinking of connecting one surface to DM64 and making it gain master, then pulling a DM0 for second surface DSP and installing gigACE cards in both racks to tieline over from DM64. If waves is desired at FOH, I assume it will be installed in the surface IO out there. To recap: is this the proper IO card config to get audio split down to the DM0? Will gain tracking still function in this setup?

Thanks!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

audio split is possible with all networking cards…

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Understanding-Multi-Surface-ISS1.pdf

as far is I remember, gain sharing is only possible with the GigaACE cards
    and has to be enabled in both cards I/O port configurations

ParkerA1996
    Participant

Understood, but I’m specifically asking about possibilities when using 2x gigACE cards to tieline sockets to a second engine in a DM0. It is not desirable to use multi-surface mixrack sharing in this case.

SteffenR
    Participant

in a multi console setup you have to link the consoles over GigaACE to be able to use gain tracking…

multi surface setups are always one mixrack with multiple surfaces

I know, just names… but we already discussed many topics because we were naming things different

ParkerA1996
    Participant

That makes complete sense. At that point, what we might call “digital split” has no ability to read preamp data of the sockets across the gigaACE bridge and compensate for changes? That would be a fabulous feature to include in the future. As an alternative, throwing both DM on the same control network so that they can “talk” could be a future solution.

SteffenR
    Participant

maybe I wasn’t clear enough…
    Digital split over GigaACE uses tracking data, to enable gain tracking on both consoles… but it has to be turned on in the settings of the card

and it is good practice to set both surfaces to “trim on surface”

btw, both consoles are on the same control network already, they connected with the GigaACE link already.
    If you link the control networks the system control will fail on both surfaces.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.