Question about Audix10FLP eq

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Question about Audix10FLP eq

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of psikes psikes 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

Hello all and happy thanksgiving to those of us who celebrate it. My question is in regard to the Audix10FLP flute microphone that my wife uses. This is one of the Audix microphones not in the mic preset list. I have a pretty good basic mix with it but was wondering if there were special considerations regarding this mic. I am not at the QU-32 so can’t take a quick look at where I have it set.

On a more positive note, we will be installing an AR2412 and AR84 in our backstage audio closet this weekend. Two boxes replacing 8 Aviom boxes. Really looking forward to getting this accomplished. Any hidden gotchas on this install?

Thanks, Phil

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

In the analoge time there where no preset’s, the only tools that time are you ears.

Why i had a qu for a year, i have never used a factory preset, a pair of ears and some common sense do the trick.

For a flute use a decent high pass filter and monitor’s are tricky.

Richard

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Phil…

Pre-sets, schmee-sets. Unless there’s an acknowledged anomaly in the mic response, your best bet is always to use your ears. Every player and instrument is different, so pre-sets for “artistic purposes” are just someone elses guess. Your best bet is always to start with proper input gain and flat EQ.

1. Cue up the flute channel in the cans, sweep a 6dB boosted PEQ filter of moderate width across the spectrum and “see” where the sweet spot is, then narrow the filter to hear the effect. When the sweetness diminishes, restore a bit of width.

2. Sweep a narrow width 6dB cut across and back listening for effect as above.

3. Always A/B any EQ decisions by taking the EQ in and out for comparison to flat response to validate any impressions you’ve formed.

Store the result in the user bank for your starting point. You can then use the same PEQ sweep on the flute while listening to it in the ensemble mix to tweak your basic settings to fit the ensemble du jour or to identify any crucial flute frequencies being masked by another instrument and use complimentary EQ between them for increased separation/clarity.

It may be beneficial to do a short recording of the flute/mic combo to use for establishing your baseline EQ to save wear and tear on the flute player while you sort things.

Good luck.

Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

Thanks for the input. I try to trust my ears but my hearing loss/tinnitus sometimes makes that problematic. The mic itself is extremely flat so the eq has been easy to work on.

Phil

Dick Rees
    Participant

I can relate to hearing changes. The two things most liable to set off my tinnitus are:

1. Screaming children and…

2. Metal flutes.

Wooden baroque/Irish flutes don’t bother me much. The Audix flute mic does have a “haystack” in its response you have to watch out for centered around 10K. Otherwise, the ensemble, the room and any ambient sound kind of de-legitimize the benefit of any fixed pre-sets for me.

That said, I do have pre-set EQ’s stored for the different sets of monitor wedges I use and some dynamic processing pre-sets for labeled “Screamer” for certain vocalists, “Thrash” for amateur guitar heroes and “Doofus” for clueless politicians, corporate execs and the like who refuse to learn how to use a microphone.

Good luck.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Dick, love those preset titles. Since our board is used at our church, I better not follow suit, though there are occasions I might be tempted.

Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

I may have borrow some of those preset names too.

Phil

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Creative but accurate preset naming!!!! Carefull though, some years ago when I did video production as I imported video clips into the non linear edit system I named the clips some creative names that described the client. Guess who saw those names one day when they stopped in to check on the progress of their video!
    On the timeline track sheet you could clearly see the clip names.

Back to your stage boxes, the connection itself is plug and play, you’ll get a yellow DS square on the display when they connect.
    Go into the IO set up to set up the stage boxes routing and then to a channels preamp setup page to assign the stage box inputs to a mixer channel.

Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

One final question on the dSnake settings. The install went very well. Four hours start to finish and that included lots of cable labeling and removal of several Aviom boxes. On the console the AR units both show up an played nicely. The question I have started asking myself concerns whether the dSnake configuration is Scene dependent. In other words do I need to save it in every scene I have already built or is it retained regardless of scene? I will go check it in the morning but if someone can put my mind at ease I will sleep much better tonight.

Next up is to start getting on the multitrack recording path. What fun this has been transitioning from my old analog sound world.

Phil

Dick Rees
    Participant

Safe your inputs.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

Thanks Dick, that one slipped right by me. I will be back at the console on Tuesday.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.