Query on FX

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Query on FX

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dr. J Dr. J 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MartinW
    MartinW
    Participant

Hi,

Probably QU16 silly question time…..

Last night I had no reverb on FOH, so I got into panic mode 🙂

I selected the top layer for the faders, and FX1 on mix sel (I use FX1 for FOH)

FX1 send and return were both set as I expected, but totally dry FOH.

Eventually I selected LR mix along with top layer faders. The FX1 return fader was at zero. I turned it up and hey presto, reverb on FOH.

So my question is – if FX1 return on top layer has to be set in LR, what do those faders do when FX1 mix is selected?

Cheers
    Martin

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

It will create a feedback loop. Bad stuff.

Profile photo of MartinW
    MartinW
    Participant

Not with you GC – can you explain what you mean; I know what a feedback loop is, but why will it create one?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

if you know what a feedback loop is then you will know why it creates one…

sending FX return to same FX, bad idea

Profile photo of MartinW
    MartinW
    Participant

ok I get that.

What I was actually asking was:

What function does FX return have when FX1 is selected ?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

The answer is basically nothing. You just want to make sure the faders are all the way down/off.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

When the FX1 mix is active on the RHS of the console, the fader levels on the LHS of the console represent the send level to the FX1 bus from those faders (like they do for any other mix when using fader flip, assuming they’re not masters.)

If you’ve got the FX1 mix active, you can push the FX1 return into the FX1 send, creating a feedback loop, which as people have said, will end badly.

The reason the console allows you to push FX returns into sends is so that you can for example push a delay return from FX1 into a reverb send, that way you get verb on your delay tails. You just have to watch that you don’t send an FX return into the SAME send that generated that return.

Profile photo of MartinW
    MartinW
    Participant

Cool, thanks Guys chow I understand!

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Cornelius78 – thanks for the great explanation. You are a huge help here on the forum. Awhile back – you helped me with some effects routing on the Qu32.

We routed my delay return to the reverb input via “assignments”. In light of your response above – was it necessary to do it that way (the way I had you show me previously) OR could I have done it the way you explained above by adding in the return using the fader?

Thanks!

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

That was a while ago. I had to re-read the thread to re-familiarize myself with what we were trying to achieve. IIRC this was the one: emulate your old TC M-One XL unit, which allowed you to dump delay into the reverb engine without really noticing the delay.

The reason for the assign\un-assign was because we didn’t want the delay on the dry vox to come through to LR by itself: we only wanted to push the delay into the reverb unit, and then only have the reverb unit’s return feeding LR.

We wanted to hear dry vox + FX2(delay+verb), not dry vox + FX1(delay) + FX2(delay+verb). If we’d not un-assigned FX1 from LR, we still would have heard the first lot of delay by itself, and also if you pulled FX2Ret down, you would have pulled out the verb from LR, but not the delay.

We could have avoided using the assign\un-assign method if we’d sent FX1Ret to FX2 pre-fader, and just kept the FX1Ret fader down at -inf in LR, but if we did this then we’d need to control amount of delay being dumped into the verb engine by jumping around layers and changing the “active” mix on the RHS of the console all the time. If instead we used a post-fader send from FX1, you can just control the level using the FX1Ret fader while you’re in the LR mix (which I imagine is where you’d spend most of your time.) IME less layer switching and changing of “active” mixes means less chance of mistakes, especially if you’re new to digital or new to motorized faders (you said you were coming over from PreSonus.) As were were going to use post-fader to allow us to use the FX1Ret fader while in LR, we needed to make sure the FX1Ret was un-assigned from the LR mix, so you didn’t hear the first lot of “dry delay.”

Edit:typos.

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Awesome Cornelius! Thanks a lot!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.