SQ7 FOH & SQ5 broadcast setup

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ7 FOH & SQ5 broadcast setup

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Benjaminpparker
    Benjaminpparker
    Participant

Hello,

My church is considering purchasing a SQ7 for FOH to replace our existing GLD-112. At the same time we want to add a SQ5 to a remote room for broadcast mixing for live streaming.

My questions are about the s-link technology. I see that we can connect the s-link ports together on the consoles and have 128×128 between them. Is there a distance limitation on the cat6 cable used to connect the consoles? Can the S-Link traffic be transmitted using standard ethernet network switches or do we need a dedicated run between the consoles?

If we use the s-link port in the sq-7 to connect to the sq-5 can we add a second s-link module into the sq-7 and connect it to our existing stage boxes? Do we require the second card or does the built-in port support both functions we want at the same time? Can the console handle have two s-link interfaces at the same time? Will we be able to setup routing to bring inputs in via stagebox/s-link and route them out to the sq-5 via a different s-link card?

I know Dante is another option, but there is also a cost premium with Dante.

Thanks

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Hi Ben.

Quick answers:

Is there a distance limitation on the cat6 cable used to connect the consoles?
    Yes, about 100m / 300 ft

Can the S-Link traffic be transmitted using standard ethernet network switches or do we need a dedicated run between the consoles?
    Best to use a separate dedicated CAT5e (or better) cable.

If we use the s-link port in the sq-7 to connect to the sq-5 can we add a second s-link module into the sq-7 and connect it to our existing stage boxes?
    Yes.

Do we require the second card or does the built-in port support both functions we want at the same time?
    You will need an Slink card fitted in one desk.

Can the console handle have two s-link interfaces at the same time?
    Yes! (Not much point to the card if it couldn’t)

Will we be able to setup routing to bring inputs in via stagebox/s-link and route them out to the sq-5 via a different s-link card?
    Yes, I suggest you look into the TieLines routing options.

I know Dante is another option, but there is also a cost premium with Dante.
    If you want Dante in the future to connect something else, you could add a card to the second desk without disturbing to existing setup.

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Hallo Benjamin,

adding to what MarkPAman said, I´ve made a video a month ago showing the routing for 2 SQs, Stagebox and extra Slink I/O optin card.
    ROUTING 2 SQs for Live and Stream

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,
    André

Profile photo of Benjaminpparker
    Benjaminpparker
    Participant

Thank you for the quick response and confirmations that we can setup in the way that I was envisioning.

Unfortunately the link the “ROUTING 2 SQs for Live and Stream” above is broken. The link doesn’t take me to a video. I would like to check out the video if you get a chance to fix the link.

Thanks

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@AndreS

The site name is missing. The rest of the link may be where at that site the info is at.
    Or maybe that is what you put into google to find the answer

anyway clicking on the link gives this error message:

This site can’t be reached {{note: no http ????.???? / }} just:

if%20we%20use%20the%20s-link%20port%20in%20the%20sq-7%20to%20connect%20to%20the%20sq-5%20can%20we%20add%20a%20second%20s-link%20module%20into%20the%20sq-7%20and%20connect%20it%20to%20our%20existing%20stage%20boxes’s server DNS address could not be found.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.