QU32 with pro tools 12

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU32 with pro tools 12

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ernie
    ernie
    Participant

Hi guys
    I’m using the qu32 as an interface in a studio setup. I am wondering if there is ever going to be any update regarding connectivity from qu32 to computer? at the moment it’s usb? I was thinking of getting a different mixer that has option of io cards,
    IE, madi,dante,etc
    latency is the issue I am having.

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

Why? I can stream 32 tracks at 96k without any issue… I guess you could use the analog to the computer…. but, again, why?

Profile photo of ernie
    ernie
    Participant

do you mind telling me how you have things setup? you can record at 96k?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

What latency issue are you having?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I guess the well known Its-Just-USB-So-Not-Tried-Yet-Latency-Issue. Sorry, not helpful…
    Latency introduced by the Just-USB is about 250µSec (two USB Frames). Just to mention it (again).

Profile photo of ernie
    ernie
    Participant

Thanks for the replys guys, im not sure that i have things set up properly maybe? i use virtual instrument inside pro tools with plugin effects too. if i have a session with 20 tracks i set up as follows…
    input 1 input 2
    output 23/24 output 23/24
    and the same all the way to input 20 output 23/24
    what way do most people set things up for this type of session?
    would there be any point in changing to a mixer with madi or dante out to computer?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

This sounds indeed you’re using the Qu primarily as an audio interface and perform all mixing inside ProTools. Latency shouldn’t be an issue at all and could easily be dealt with. Of course you need to determine your overall latency once and configure ProTools to automatically compensate for it.
    Just pick some percussive tone, playback through your monitoring system, use a Microphone to pick up the sound and record that signal to a fresh track.
    The recorded pulse is likely few mSec (4-6mSec) too late on your track which is caused by the sum of processing in ASIO/CoreAudio (i.e. 2×0.7mSec for 32 Sample Buffers at 48kHz), transport layer (2×250µSec HighSpeed USB), DAC and ADC within the digital Mixer (2×0.7mSec according to Qu Spec) and distance between Microphone/Ears and Speakers (3mSec per meter, 1mSec per feet). This calculation does not consider the human factor (ear-to-hand latency), which easily outrules the others.
    Latency caused by USB is rather low due to the high frame rate (125µSec). Madi and Dante are network based protocols with probybaly lower framerates hence larger latency (low mSec range).
    If I’d be picky with latency, I would go with USB.

Profile photo of ernie
    ernie
    Participant

Thanks Andreas for your reply, what you are saying makes perfect sense.
    do I compensate for the delay in pro tools or on the qu itself?
    I am very happy that this can be done as I love the desk.
    am I doin it right setting all the tracks output to the same output channel,or would it work better putting input 1 to output 1 and so on?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Latency compensation is done within the DAW, normally near the dialog where you’re selecting the audio interface. I’m not a Protools user so I can’t point you directly to that setting (what about the Protools manual?).
    The mapping of input and output channels totally depends on your workflow. If you’re mixing completely inside the DAW, sending the sum back to the interface (your Qu) is the correct configuration. Other users prefer to mix on the Qu, then all recorded channels should go back to the Qu and your DAW only acts as a multitrack recorder (like we all did with tape/ADAT recording for decades).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.