Qu32 screeching during playback

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu32 screeching during playback

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mikey B Mikey B 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

Ok, so my new Qu32 is hooked to my comp, I3 windows 8 machine with 8 gig ram.

USB B streaming to the comp, it seems to be recording into Sonar 8 just fine but during playback there is a screeching sound, almost like the old dial up connection sound. It’s louder than the recordings and is intermittent… Just comes and goes… Sometimes you can hear it manifesting as just some pops and clicks, other times it’s full on burying the sound in the most annoying screech… At first it seemed to come after a few seconds of playback while recording and then stop, but I’ve been playing with buffers and things (not sure if that has anything to do with it) and now it seems to just come and go (less full on screeching and more just popping and snapping)… I’ve tried just about every buffer combo there is and nothing seems to change it much… If anything it maybe seems worse with large buffer caches…

It isn’t represented on the recorded tracks and comes and goes without regard to where I am in the track at this point (so long as it isn’t recorded during a playback while recording scenario, which was leading me to believe it was during recording and playback… But now I’m pretty sure it’s a playback issue)

Happens with material recorded elsewhere and run through Sonar as well…

Any help would be greatly appreciated…. It’s really really freaking annoying and loud…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Could be feedback – a signal is being routed round and round.

Check that you are not monitoring the inputs to Sonar while playing back.

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply!

It doesn’t sound like traditional feedback… Like I said, sounds digital, like a fax machine almost… It happens with new recording through the system and old recordings from previous recordings on another system.

I haven’t re-routed anything I am aware of to monitor through Sonar…. Brand new projects do the same thing (unless Soar defaults to a monitoring feedback loop, I question that being the issue) What should I check in that regard? There is no signal on other tracks during playback and it happens whether I am sending the tracks to the master and then to the Qu on 31/32 or just straight to the Qu or track by track back to the Qu on selected channels.

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

It’s also very intermittent, but there a lot of the time… It would scream for a few seconds and then stop and then start again in a little bit (rinse and repeat). Doesn’t seem dependent on volume of input or tracks…. I was recording my tracks too quiet, but now I seem to have that better dialed and it shouldn’t be causing this issue (but it is quieter in comparison to the tracks now that the tracks are hotter). But it’s still easily audible (it was totally burying the tracks)

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Is ST3 muted?

Normally more of a clicking than a screeching, and associated with Qu-Drive rathe than streaming, but worth a check.

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

It was not, but it is now and still doing it…. It sounds very…. Digital… Right in the 6k3 range if the RTA is correct….

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

Well, I rearranged my entire studio and now it seems to have stopped. I guess it is possible that it was catching interefrerence with some other gear or power cords even though I thought it was kept away from power sources…. would that kind of thing have cause such a random (and only on playback) issue?

Either way, it’s gone now and I’m liking that… thanks for the input guys

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

It seems to do with the buffer settings…. At “Standard” it doesn’t do it… On “low latency” it does… Could be just coincidence too I guess….

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

This issue still happens to me occasionally… I kept thinking a new update or something might fix it…. No luck…. It will do it when I’m just playing mp3s through Windows media player to the Qu too… If I stop it and restart it goes away… Totally intermittent….

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

I bought a new USB cable… didnt happen for a while, so I thought it was all good…. happened again today…. anyone got any ideas on this?…

It is really annoying me…

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

sounds to me like Sonar is not locked onto the QU’s clock.
    The QU mixers only run at 48K so Sonar needs to be the same sample rate.

Make sure Sonar’s clock “source” is QU, not… Sonar’s clock.

Profile photo of Maestro
    Maestro
    Participant

Hello Everyone … I have a QU-24 and it is doing the EXACT same thing. I am running the latest Pro-Tools and I am using an iMac27.

I went back to using my Scarlet and there are no issues with the Computer settings or software. That tells me its the board itself and even exhibits the same problem no matter what DAW software I use. Its bummed me out and I am considering sending it back to get repaired.

At first when it started happening I was using just the Pro-Tools to record. But then i was just listening to regular programming i.e. Netflix or YouTube and it started doing it more regularly. I reset all the settings to the factory default on the board and it didn’t change anything. I shutdown and restarted the board and it went away for a while, but then it returned and now it recurs every minute. It is very annoying and it seems to do in only in the USB Playback mode…

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem? Its looking more like it may be a defect in the board…

Thanks
    Hugo

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

what is the sample rate that Pro Tools is running at,,, when this happens?

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

Thanks for the interest….. It happens even when playing back using Windows Media Player, so it is not a function of Sonar or ProTools.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.