QU32 routing FX to ME500

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU32 routing FX to ME500

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rafael A&H Rafael A&H 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tom
    tom
    Participant

Hey all – please help with my struggles? (i hope everyone is well!)
    As stated a QU32 and a network of x5 ME500’s – i simply want to select a button on my ME500’s that will control the FX1 (verb) – returns. and a second button for FX 2 (delay) – return. And – a click track (pulled from my DAW – i guess)

Please see pics.

First, i am able to achieve this but the mapping seems wrong. I seem to be getting both FX1 and FX2 return mixed to button 14. I believe its because my FX sends faders do not react when switching between FX’s – is this as designed? The only option is to keep all 4 FX sends up to unity but i believe this is the reason why i can not separate the verb on one button and the delay on the other

Profile photo of tom
    tom
    Participant

sorry – pics too large (in this day and age? 🙂

trying again

Profile photo of tom
    tom
    Participant

wow – appears this forum is a struggle as well. 405kb file is ‘too large’ and only 1024kb is allowed. Its the new math, i guess

anyway – can someone confirm that FX1-FX4 faders are ‘fixed’ and do not respond (move) when selecting thru the FX1 – FX4 (blue) buttons?

thank you!

(wow – also got an error telling me to ‘slow down, i move too fast’)

Profile photo of tom
    tom
    Participant

trying photos again >:(

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

The MEs will not move the faders on the console, as they are fully stand-alone mixers themselves, not remote control units. The apps will move faders, but the MEs don’t.

You would want to map the “FX out” from each FX unit to the appropriate ME channels. That’s all that needs to be done.

Profile photo of tom
    tom
    Participant

Thank you and sorry for the confusion – i fullt understand the ME500 wont move the faders.

And i also intuitively set the ‘monitor out’ for button 14 to ‘FX1/L return’ but no sound appears on button 14 (me500)

I see LED activity on the QU for FX1 send/return and also in the FX window as well, just nothing coming to the button 14 on the ME 🙁

Any clues on what to check?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@tom (love the avatar pic btw)

What else do you have patched to the ME500?
    I’m wondering if the auto configuration of the ME500 is why the FX might not be showing up where you expect (?)

Unlike the ME-1, where it’s possible to assign any of the incoming audio channels to any key (and/or use groups), the ME500 picks up the channels in the order they’re received and assigns them to keys sequentially.
    Mono channels are assigned to individual keys and stereo channels sent to odd/even pairs are also assigned to individual keys.
    Stereo channels are ‘flagged’ as stereo automatically by the Qu, for input channels this is when they’ve been linked. You can see this show as a white block connecting two stereo channels in the I/O Patch > Monitor screen.
    This is how it’s possible to mix up to 16 mono channels, 16 stereo channels (32 total channels) or some combination of mono and stereo channels with a ME500.

Some examples:
    If you only patched LR to Monitor outputs 4&5, L would auto assign to ME-500 key#1 and R would show up on key#2 because you’ve patched to even/odd instead of odd/even.
    If you only patched LR to 9&10 then LR would be stereo on key#1.
    If you patch 4 mono channels to 1,2,3,4 and a stereo channel to 5&6, these would appear on the first 5 keys.

So the numbers you see on the Qu Monitor patch screen are not actually the key numbers for a connected ME, but are the 40 possible signals you can send out to a ME system (ME-U, ME-1, ME500).
    They just happen to match the key numbers if you only have mono channels patched and are using a ME500 (or auto mode on a ME-1).

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of tom
    tom
    Participant

Holy smokes Keefer! I believe you nailed it! I did not fully understand the stereo return to a single ME500 button and now will do some more testing!

I assumed that button 14 would be assigned to FX1/L and button 15 would be FX2/L – but from what you are saying – the ME500 would automatically make button 15 FX1/R ?

Without being in front of the board i ask, ‘do i want my performers managing two buttons for some simple reverb?’

ok, let me re-think this and THANK YOU for the response! will report back

Profile photo of Casey
    Casey
    Participant

My church just purchased the ME-500 system for the band members to avoid sharing channels. We also have the Qu-You system for the vocalists. I am familiar with the Qu-You system and it works great controlling with an iPhone. However I have several issues with the ME-500 that I am sure can be solved but are beyond my current level of expertise. First, I want the ME’s to be Pre-Fader so when the FOH is adjusted the ME mix doesn’t change. Second, I want a click track that both the Qu-You system and ME system can hear. third, I want to add effects to my ME vocal channels independent from the FOH mix.

Our board is a Qu-32 with a dSnake to the stage and a ME-U for the 5 ME-500’s. Each ME is individually cat5 wired. We have a dedicated router at the board for the Qu-You monitoring system. That system is coming from the AUX sends and no one shares a channel with 4 mono and 3 stereo channels I have the ability to have 7 vocalist without sharing.

I have searched YouTube and haven’t yet found any content that would address any of my questions. Hoping you can help. Please note, I am a musician not a technician, so please help me understand acronyms that are common in this community.

Profile photo of Rafael A&H
    Rafael A&H

Hello @Casey,

– You can access the Global Dir Out settings by selecting a channel and pressing the Processing key.
    On this window you will be able to select at which point of the chain will the signal leave to the monitoring system (Me’s), you will also be able to select if you wish this signal to follow the ‘Mute’ and the ‘Fader’.
    If you don’t want your ME’s signals to be affected by the FOH changes, then disabled the Follow Fader option.

– You can have the click on any available channel of the mixer and route this channel as well to the ME’s, just like the rest of the signals.
    How the click track is sourced into the mixer is up to you, in most cases this is done through a computer/DAW.
    You can do this through an XLR to 3.5mm cable or by interfacing the computer vs the mixer through USB cable (For more details on this: https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403019846033-Qu-How-do-I-route-audio-to-and-from-my-Qu-mixer-and-a-DAW-)
    If you wish to disabled this ‘Click channel’ from going to the Main Mix of your mixer, you can place yourself on the Main Mix, then press/hold the Assign key and press the ‘SEL’ key of the desired channel.

– FX’s from the FX rack are assigned by default to their corresponding FX return channels, you can patch any FX return channel into the ME system, just like the rest of channels, where the users will be having the FX return on another ME key to control how much they want to add. The Engineer will still have a separate control of how much return wants to add to the main mix.

I hope this helps you!
    Rafael

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.