Qu32 question about eq for CD player

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu32 question about eq for CD player

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Benc2 Benc2 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Benc2
    Benc2
    Participant

We have the qu 32 and we use it for mixing at church that is on the traditional side. My question is . are there any presets that we could use for the CD player to make the music sound better in the mains ? The music that is used is soundtracks to mostly older southern gospel songs. The mains are a new pair of JBL PRX412m-wh
    Or if there is no preset to suggest maybe someone could please tell me where to set the EQ. To . Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Ben C.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Most CD tracks usually translate fairly well although I usually wind up adding a little top end shelving EQ starting around 8-10k. Typically not much needed in the midrange but could depending on the track. I have found over the years that most all rooms and systems sound a little clearer by pulling out some low mids say around 200-250-300. Most systems tend to build up there. The low end is dependent on your speakers. Subwoofers or not. You might bump up the lows a little from 80 or so. You just have to play around with the points and amount to suit what you’re looking for. Don’t be afraid to experiment. Just be careful boosting anything in the midrange. Can get harsh. Hope that helps. It’s a very arbitrary question to try answer. Lots of variables.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

Normally, one sets the EQ for the Main LR channels using the processing pannel. You have PEQ and GEQ options. These EQ settings are to correct for “anomalies” in the speakers and room acoustics. You will also have to deal with EQ of any monitor or fill speakers in use, using the processing panel for the mixes sent to those speakers. Use mostly frequency cuts to remove peaks in the room response. There are many tools to aid in this process. You can look online for tutorials and suggestions. The process is too complex to deal with it adequately in a forum such as this.

Once the Main EQ is set, you can use the EQ settings on the channels used by the CD player to provide the type of sound you prefer – bass-heavy, bright, or a combination, for example, as was stated previously. On;y slight corrections should be needed here.

Give us more specific questions, if these responses don’t help.

Profile photo of Benc2
    Benc2
    Participant

Ok thanks you your help. We have been using the board for 2 months now and we just replaced the speakers because the old ones were blown.. And I just do not know where to start but I feel that we can get much much better sound than we are getting.. I was thinking there would be a preset or some starting point that I could use. I will see if I can find a YouTube video to watch thank you both for the reply

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I would suggest using something like Audacity to clean up the tracks and bring them all up to the same level and quality. Trying to find a “one size fits all” EQ setup at the board will likely not be as good.

Profile photo of Benc2
    Benc2
    Participant

A lot of times the special singer will just come to the sound room and Gand you a cd and say track 4 .. So you never know what if going to be played.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.