Qu32 – Major static on channel but nothing is connected

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu32 – Major static on channel but nothing is connected

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bsimmon3
    Bsimmon3
    Participant

Hello all! Love our Qu32 – really a neat product. Recently we have had a super strange issue.
    Ch14 is causing some major static/interference. Only strange thing is, nothing is connected to it! The jack is completely empty, no fancy routing, just static noise coming through on the display (and in the house). The static does change with the gain (up/down). No change with phantom on or off. I can mute the channel and the static stops, but the level lights still go crazy. When I say static I’m talking like sketchy analog mic noise – but loud! (Gain is at 20db and noise is 0 on the output).

If I had to offer a thought it seems like a short somehow in the board.

This is where I want to lean on the community. I do not understand how a digital board can have something like this? Anyone have thoughts on a channel filled with static and nothing connected to it?

I’ll post a video I took here shortly after it uploads.

Bsimmon3
    Participant

Here is the link to the video of the issue: https://youtu.be/3sEIiNqG9e4 Thank you all for your help!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

And if you turn the gain right off does ther noise go away?
    You will have to see your local agent to get that fixed in my opinion.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Could also be crosstalk from one of the ascending wirelesses. I sometimes walk into this but only on the multitrackrecordings.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of jsotodiaz
    jsotodiaz
    Participant

Having the same problem with my QU-24 channels 5 horrible static with nothing plugged in… any solutions??? please !!!!!

Profile photo of AlanG
    AlanG
    Participant

Could be a bad earth or an open circuit in the input wiring. For diagnostic try plugging a short circuit input plug into the channel – see if anything changes.

Even digital mixers have some analogue (for Qu I think until after the input gain) AFAIK nothing in this world is naturally digital (except life itself <g>).

I agree with XYZ – it will need serious repair work if itts not obvious.

AlanL

Profile photo of jsotodiaz
    jsotodiaz
    Participant

In my case if I turn the fader down it goes away and its intrinsically connected to the gain know,
    when I open all channels to unity and gain to 12 o’clock its the only channel that you can hear buzzing
    but when you turn the gain down to about 9 o clock noise its gone. its very annoying…

Profile photo of Elisa010
    Elisa010
    Participant

Hi, wondering if you ever got this sorted out. We’re having the same issue on 2 separate channels on our QU-32. Thank you!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Hi, wondering if you ever got this sorted out. We’re having the same issue on 2 separate channels on our QU-32. Thank you!

Is that with nothing connected to those channels inputs?

Bsimmon3
    Participant

Unfortunately no, but also the issue hasn’t moved to other channels. So we just put some tape on that channel and moved on. Channel is completely empty, gain all the way down, no phantom, and it’ll show clipping every now and then. Super strange.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Sounds like it’s something in that channel.
    How old is the mixer?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.