QU32 Freeze

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU32 Freeze

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alex Alex 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of crackajack
    crackajack
    Participant

Hey All,

I could really do with a straight answer but getting Allen Heath to give me the answer today night not happen.

RIGHT,

I bought a branch new QU32 last week, Thursday night was practice night with our band. All of a sudden the whole desk froze!!!
    This happened for about 2 minutes and then sorted itself out. Well today on our live performance day the desk froze again for 20 mins… NOT GOOD!

So I had a router connected for remote access to FOH and some EQ processing on most channels. I have the latest firmware and the correct drivers installed for PC.

So what could this be? I need this resolved asap or I need to send this back. I chose this desk over all the others that came in to the price bracket.

Cheers, Al

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

CJ…

Not nearly enough information to even make a guess. So many questions:

1. Did you personally update the firmware?

2. Did the board continue to pass sound with the controls locked?

3. Was it un-responsive on both the Qu-pad app AND the surface?

4. Was the desk also connected to a PC?

5. Was any other remote control (personal monitoring) being used?

These are just a few of many questions regarding your setup.

If you’re concerned about warranty and such, open a support ticket with A&H immediately to get your problem on record, time-wise.

Good luck.

crackajack
    Participant

CJ…

Not nearly enough information to even make a guess. So many questions:

1. Did you personally update the firmware? – NO

2. Did the board continue to pass sound with the controls locked? – YES

3. Was it un-responsive on both the Qu-pad app AND the surface? – YES

4. Was the desk also connected to a PC? – YES

5. Was any other remote control (personal monitoring) being used? – 2 IPADS CONNECTED ON SAME ROUTER

These are just a few of many questions regarding your setup.

If you’re concerned about warranty and such, open a support ticket with A&H immediately to get your problem on record, time-wise.

Thanks, Sounds like you have had this problem yourself – or have you?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Define froze more precisely

What froze – faders? Meters? Pots? Did anything move, what was being done?

How did it recover, what were you doing? What told you it had recovered?

It’s certainly not something I’ve ever seen…

crackajack
    Participant

This is what happens with in the first song – exactly the same, but this is not me.

It looks like this is a known fault

Dick Rees
    Participant

Thanks, Sounds like you have had this problem yourself – or have you?

No, the only problem I’ve ever had was a glitchy download of firmware. A fresh download worked fine. IIWY, I’d do a fresh download and installation for starters.

Digital world is a whole new ballgame across the entire industry…

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

That video is concerning. Sounded like the audio path was unaffected (which is good) but that the UI stalled (the fact that the UI is physical in this case is probably unrelated – since you mentioned having iPads, I assume all the UI connections were frozen)

I’d go for a fresh firmware install…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Just guessing if this could be caused by some flooding on the network port though an open WLAN and the MCU inside the Qu completely busy managing the network traffic while the DSPs continue to run.
    Anyway, never saw something similar…

Dick Rees
    Participant

Good guess, Andreas. While it is common to localize a problem to a core component (in this case the desk) one must remember that it is merely a part of a network/chain.

As usual, the trouble-shooting procedure would seem to be to remove everything connected to the desk, then add things one at a time until the trouble returns.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I would guess it’s some IP adress conflict

please post your network configuration

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

never had any fault like this without IP control
    next time try to unplug the network,
    if it’s gone then something in the control network is wrong

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Certainly a possible diagnosis – was the mixer plugged into an existing network when rehearsing?

Profile photo of Alex
    Alex
    Participant

I had a weird situation with my QU-PAC last week …
    Running the latest firmware on both the Qu-Pac and Qu-Pad. (using an airport express router)
    My Qu-Pad went offline / lost connection for almost 10minutes and then returned to working stage.

I did not get the chance to manually try to adjust the levels from the QU-PAC as the unit was too far away from reach and I was flat out playing the keyboard/singing to a ROOM full of party people.
    Luckily I did not get any feedback on the mic and I could manually adjust the volume level from my keyboard and iPad (tracks)

I suspect it was only a router/networking issue (unfortunately I did not get the chance to see if the physical buttons/controller knob on Qu-Pac were still working during this mishap).

I’ve never had a router issue of this extend and I imagine that there could have been too much wifi in the background of the hotel bar that might have interfered with the Airport Express…

I’ll see at my next gig if this happens again

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Sure, relying on WiFi in an uncontrolled situation is risky. Could you check if you lost WiFi connection or only the link to your Qu?

Profile photo of Alex
    Alex
    Participant

I lost the link to the Qu-Pac. Wifi was still showing full bars in Qu-Pad app.. Somehow it reconnected after 8-10min…
    Also I must have to add that my airport express had an older firmware which I’ve recently updated. This might have had something to do with it as well

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.