Qu32 and Widows Xp and Window 8.1

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Qu32 and Widows Xp and Window 8.1

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nflyte
    nflyte
    Participant

Hello, I am interested in purcasing a Qu32 board for my home studio but can’t seem to find the answers to a couple of important make or break decisions as to weather I should buy or not. I am using Cubase 4 and will be upgrading to Cubase 7. All my research says that I cannot use Cubase and it is only commpatable with the mac operating system and not windows but on this forum someone has used a Qu16 with cubase 4 and it was good to go with a windows driver. Is that also the case with the Qu32. My second question is about the 32 channel motorized faders. Can they all be assigned to operate my DAW faders seperately while using 32 tracks at the same time. One per fader through 1 to 32 cubase faders at the same time on the same screen. I hope my explanation is understandable as to what I am asking and thanks in advance for any replies

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hello
    Did you read the release notes about added support for Cubase? in firmare 1.5
    Sorry I don’t use Cubase so dont know your answers.
    However the QU has midi faders/channels that all send midi data
    and now A & H have added a transport control to the screen via MMC control.
    I tried all of that out in windows 7 yesterday and all appeared to work fine to me.
    Hope that helps?

There are some forum users in here using Cubase
    Think you will need to search for them

dave NZ

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

AFAIK multitrack audio streaming (32 channels) via USB is supported on both Mac and Windows. ATM DAW control from the Qu is only supported on Mac.

The 32 faders on the Qu32 can be used to control 32 faders on your DAW using midi over USB/TCP, if your DAW is running on a Mac. There is a driver available on the A&H website to convert the Midi messages sent by the Qu to Mackie Control or HUI, which can be communicated alongside the original midi messages if your DAW prefers that, however, all of this requires a Mac. To quote from the A&H website: “DAW Control is compatible with Mac only.” It’s only the multitrack audio streaming that’s supported on Windows, not DAW control.

Edit: just going by A&H’s website and documentation it claims in a few places that DAW control is for Mac only, but dhak appears to have DAW control in win7…hmm…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Absolutely
    DAW control (Firm-ware 1.5 with the New ASIO driver in my PC laptop) from the screen runs Reaper software

Controls Stop Start Rewind to the last Marker , Fast forward to the next Marker. and if Record tracks are armed (in the software.. Reaper) the Record button in the DAW screen will start the Armed tracks. In fact I punched in and started recording .
    However you could do this before however you had to use programed softkeys.
    This new firm-ware is great.
    It leaves the softkeys for other functions.

The only snag is I did not get the pause button to activate?
    And because it is MMC control… from memory it would not bring up a shortcut in the Midi Map Tab with-in Reaper.

That will be on the later-on projects.

cheers

dave NZ

Profile photo of nflyte
    nflyte
    Participant

Hi guys, thank you for your replies. I’m sorry I failed to mention that I have a pc running xp but will be upgrading to windows 8.1 64 bit.

Edit: just going by A&H’s website and documentation it claims in a few places that DAW control is for Mac only, but dhak appears to have DAW control in win7…hmm…

Hey dhak thank you for your info. I’m not familiar with reaper. It appears to be a class software program looking a bit like Pro Tools format. Maybe cubase has a different software engine than reaper that doesn’t allow DAW on a PC . I’ll have to do some more research. I’ll also check out the release notes as well. Thank you cornelius78 for your info. I did read that PC was not supported and only mac for the DAW but I was hoping that they were old posts and an upgrade was available.

Another topic I noticed was that the onboard effects cannot be recorded to the computor. I know usually everything should be recorded flat and I could add effects in the box but sometimes I like to ad effects like mild compression to the input while recording. Another hiccup for me. Thanks again

cornelius78
    Participant

You’ll need to distinguish between fx and processing. When people talk about fx they usually mean the built in fx racks that can be used as inserts on individual channels/mixes or in a send-rtn configuration, and include things like reverb, delays, modulators etc. The FX racks’ returns returns CAN be recorded to the computer. You’ve got 32 channels you can stream to the computer, which by default are set to be the 32 mono inputs, but p61 of the manual shows how you can change them from mono inputs to include fx returns (or mixes, or stereo inputs etc.) Basically you can route any combination of mono inputs, stereo inputs, fx returns, groups, mixes, mains, mtxs and pafl to the PC. On the qu32 there’s a total of 72 sources you could route to the PC, but you’ve got a maximum of 32, so you just have to pick and choose which of the 72 are going to be in that 32.

When people talk about a the console’s processing they generally mean the individual channels’ own processing (eq and comp etc.) You CAN record tracks to the DAW with this processing switched in. Instead of tapping from the “insert send” position of the signal (which is the default, and won’t include eq and comp,) you can tap from the channel’s “direct out.” It sounds counter-intuitive, I know, as on most analogue desks the DO is pre any eq, but p28 of the manual shows how you can move the direct out tap’s position in the signal chain. If you adjust it such that the DO is post eq, post comp, and set your sends to the PC to be tapped from the “direct out” rather than the “insert send,” you’ll end up with channel’s eq and compression being sent to your PC. The only caveat is the direct out position is global for all channels, as is the insert send vs direct out option for sending input channels to the PC.

The A&H website has a pdf with setup instructions for a number of DAWs, including Cubase, but again they claim it’s Mac only. There’s also a document on the midi protocol too which is probably worth reading.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi all,

To clarify:

USB audio streaming
    On Mac OS X it’s class compliant and has worked from day one.
    On Windows it requires Qu firmware V1.4 or higher and the Qu Windows driver.

Control of DAWs
    On BOTH Mac and Windows (with the Windows driver installed) the Qu MIDI messages are tunneled over the USB connection and can be manually assigned to any DAW that supports standard MIDI control (Pro Tools doesn’t). This is what dhak did with Reaper on PC.

The free DAW Control driver is Mac OS X only. Works with Qu firmware V1.2 or higher by translating the MIDI protocol to either HUI or Mackie Control. Generally allows easier setup, and bidirectional communication (the Qu faders will follow the DAW track levels and automation). Instructions for a number of DAWs are available on the Qu Software pages.

Hope this helps.

cornelius78
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification Nicola. I was confused due to certain parts of the documentation (user guide, DAW control setup notes, DAW control Driver and TCP/IP driver sections of the website, Midi Protocol pdf) claiming a combination of

“The Qu mixer can stream audio and send MIDI messages to and from an Apple Mac or Windows PC computer via the rear panel USB B port. This lets you work with a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) running on your computer.”

and

“DAW Control is available only for Apple Mac computers. It is not available for the Windows PC.”

Then there was dhak’s experience of using a Qu to control a DAW on Windows.

For me, the confusion came from the fact that the ability to control a DAW via midi (a feature which I thought could be sensibly marketed as “DAW Control,”) is available on both platforms, whereas the special driver that translates midi messages to Mackie Control\HUI, which also happens to be called “DAW control” is only available on the Mac platform.

What you’ve said makes sense:
    Multitrack streaming: OSX and Windows
    “Controlling a DAW” via vanilla midi messages: OSX and Windows
    “DAW control” (special driver which translates midi messages to Mackie Control\HUI, which allows for “Controlling a DAW” using Mackie Control\HUI:) Mac Only.

So I suppose the real question for the OP is “Can Cubase on Windows be controlled via Midi?” If yes, the the Qu can control it. If Cubase can’t be controlled by Midi but instead requires Mackie Control or HUI, the the Qu can’t control it (on Windows, but it can if Cubase is running on a Mac.)

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Cubase can definitely be controlled by MIDI. In fact when I was writing templates for the GS-R24 I found Cubase to be the most flexible DAW in terms of MIDI control, and the only one that could send feedback back to the mixer (such as fader positions when you open a session, and switch status changes). However we do not have a MIDI template for Cubase with Qu so I expect for the users it’s all down to time and knowledge of the software.

Profile photo of nflyte
    nflyte
    Participant

thank you everyone for all the replies and info. I’m not familiar with all the terms and different things that you all mentioned. You say it was flexible with the GS-R24 which I don’t have a clue about that board. Is it the same engine as the QU 32. All I need to know is if I can control using 32 faders from the QU32 and have the faders of my cubase react to them similtaniously. I move 1 and cubases 1 moves I move 4 and cubases #4 fader moves , I move 10 , 11 , 14, 22, etc. whichever and cubase mixer responds the same way. Is this possible or not. Sorry about my lack of knowledge . I’ll learn all that later if the answer to my question is a positive yas. It is basing my purchase decision. I hate quoting other brands here but it is possible on the tascam 4800 but it is in several layers which I can avoid with the QU32. Thanks guys. Maybe someone know where I can demo the board in Toronto , Ontario. It seems that it is available in Montreal I think but to far to drive for me.

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

The answer is yes.
    I would give a call to our Canadian distributor as they are best located to advise you on demo opportunities and support you further: https://www.allen-heath.com/dist_type/canada/

Profile photo of nflyte
    nflyte
    Participant

Thank you Nicola A&H, much appreciated. Thank you all I will contact the Canadian distributors for further info and let you know when I make my final decision. I look forward to using this board in the future.

Profile photo of nflyte
    nflyte
    Participant

I noticed there is no inserts on this board for adding external effects. I’m sure the on board effects are top notch but I still need to add external effects at some point. Is that possible. I don’t see anything data on this anywhere. Thank you

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

simple,
    use one of the mono mix (AUX) outputs 1, 2, 3, 4, or stereo AUX 5-6, 7-8, 9-10,
    or one of the groups 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8.
    Use these just like you would an aux send on an analog console, then return the effect to an input or inputs (if stereo)
    to any of the console’s input/s.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

There is no actual physical insert for external outboard equipment!
    The way that dpdan is a send, not an insert.
    A way to get an insert would be to use an outboard mic preamp (and I guess we are talking studio scenario here) and feed that in to your outboard piece of equipment that you want to feed into the QU
    I have seen all sorts of gadgets fed into mic inputs on desks down multicores from stage and at local desk inputs
    However, if you are not wanting to use up a send and depending on what you want to use the signal for
    you can.. get a signal from the “line input” as an “output” HOWEVER that is only if you are using the MIC input at “local input settings” NOT down dSNake.
    Its quite weak signal but its there.
    ***Try plugging a balanced jack to jack between channels and use a “local input” with a mic plugged in on one of those channels.
    You will see a signal appear at the second channel input where the balanced jack goes in.
    The 1st channels gain controls the signal and you need to crank up the second channel.
    OR you could drive a stereo unit from a LOCAL input , say a Radio Mic at the desk, into some sort of weird contraption and then bring that back into 1 of the ST1 2 or 3.
    mmm that has me thinking, I have some analogue pitch shifters….
    Its another way to get a Y connect

This is only for “local input though”

Just a few thoughts for you away from main stream thinking.

cheers
    dave hodge AK (Auckland) dhak

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.