Qu24 Power/Electrical Issues?! Help!

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu24 Power/Electrical Issues?! Help!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of HarryCallum HarryCallum 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sebba
    sebba
    Participant

Hello folks, for the last few weeks I’ve had a worsening problem with what I can only assume is the electrics in my Qu24.

At first the blue power light at the back would flash (as if to indicate a problem?) but the board would be working absolutely fine.

This then slowly turned into what is now, no light at the rear, if the preamps are set to local they’re clipping and popping of their own accord, faders either refuse to move or make a horrible whirring sound in an attempt to do so…

I’ve tried a hard reset. I’ve updated the firmware, and booted it into a firmware update/reset – still with no luck!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The desk is still in warranty and Audio Technica have said they’ll take a look at it but can’t give me an estimate on what the problem is or how long it may take to fix, which is understandable but hard when you need it to work!

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

It would seem that the blue light is a “power supply good” indicator. If it is flashing that would indicate a problem, sort of like a “check engine” light.

Please let us know how A&H resolves this along with possible causes if known.

Profile photo of sebba
    sebba
    Participant

That was my thinking exactly. Oddly enough since I’ve posted this it’s started working perfectly.. again.. ?!? It’s definitely an intermittent fault but my days is it a mighty one.

I left the desk plugged in to the mains, but turned off for about an hour – tried it again with no luck.

Decided to backdate the firmware to 1.5 (just to try ANYTHING, not with any actual hope it would make the slightest bit of difference) – it started to update like normal but it ‘crashed’ with the pan pot ticking left to right as it does, opted to reboot it manually. On start up it actually rebooted itself 2 or 3 times. And then voila. Working like a charm?!

Updated back to 1.6 and still working fine. Blue light in check. All systems go.

Going to turn it off again for half an hour (and unplug from the mains) and see if it works as should on then. Fingers crossed ey.

Can’t wait to find out what the problem is, maybe just a lose connection or solder jobby?! I’ll keep you posted!

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I would carefully meter your power. It would seem possible that fluctuations in voltage might well cause your blinking light syndrome. I use a line voltage regulator at all times for this very reason. Over and above that, a good in-line UPS would eliminate any such anomalies.

Profile photo of ambulance23
    ambulance23
    Participant

Sounds as defect power source or a defect connector. Habe try an other cable for the power supply

Profile photo of sebba
    sebba
    Participant

I’ve tried various different leads and different locations and the problem persists!

Can’t say I’ve tried a UPS but I think the problem runs a little deeper than regulated consistent power getting to the desk.

Taking it down to A&H tomorrow morning, will post as soon as I hear from them.

Profile photo of sebba
    sebba
    Participant

Hey folks – just a quick update!

Got the desk back from Audio Technica on Friday. No repair sheet was included in the return (strange?) so I’ll chase them for a copy, but the shop I bought it from said AT told them it was an issue to do with the power unit inside the desk.

Either way. It’s working perfectly now! Happy pancake day indeed.

Profile photo of HarryCallum
    HarryCallum
    Participant

This must be defect in power source and electrician must be needed to handle this.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.