QU24 need an Amp

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU24 need an Amp

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ash Ash 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ash
    Ash
    Participant

Hi I’m a newbie and this might be a silly question but can anyone suggest some pa amplifiers to go with QU24…..I got the mixer now need an amp……currently got speakers at 8ohms at 350watt each

Regards
    Ash

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Lots of good amps. QSC is my preferred. Crown, Lab Gruppin and others.

Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

Usually the amplifiers are chosen to suit the speakers and your requirements, not the mixer.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Like George said QSC good value and reliable.
    GX5 sounds about right for your speakers, built in x-over if you need it too.
    Nice little amps:)

Profile photo of Ash
    Ash
    Participant

Thanks wonder if anyone has an opinion on Yamaha P7000s, someone recommended it to me….

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Yamaha used to build pretty decent amps. Some were very revered. I have not used any in a long time I am sure they are probably fine. As previous poster said you need to consider what speakers are going to be on them and the general usage as to levels etc. It is more about that than what mixer they are hooked to.

I have always told people. Speakers and power are the big concern. Give me plenty of power and great speakers and I can put a $100 mixer on it and sound great. Give me the opposite, crappy speakers and low power and I don’t care if you put a $100,000 console on it, it will sound like crap.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I know that its a bit off topic for this forum, but I was wondering if you have had any problems with noisy fans in QSC amps. My church as a QSC GX5 amp for FOH in the rack under the mixing desk. The noise of the fan always drives my crazy especially when its quiet in the room. Fortunately you can only hear it whilst in the mix position.

robbocurry
    Participant

Hey Brendon,
    I haven’t noticed them being especially noisy, I’ve owned 5 of them, still have 3.
    You can hear a whir for sure, but nothing particularly distracting.
    Then again, I’m not using them in dead quiet rooms most of the time.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I have several 3’s and 5’s out on church installs. I don’t recall any being overly noisy. I have a few in situations where if they were it would be a problem. I would suggest you checking into whether yours has a fan problem.

Profile photo of LKY
    LKY
    Participant

I’ll plus one on qsc’s

Best bang for the buck…

I’ve switched to powered cabinets for almost everything…Usually the K-series…Although I don’t like thier crossovers…I run the EV DC-ONE for mains distribution/eq/delay/crossover/etc…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks, I’ll look into it a bit more and press my supplier for a response.
    Performance certainly seems normal, there’s no issues with air movement, cooling etc.
    It’s just very much noticeable compared to the old FOH amp (which now lives in the rack serving as foldback amp) and most other brands that I’ve used.

One thing that did trouble me with it a touch when I first pulled it out of the box was the remarkable resemblance in appearance to one of Behringer’s amps. Hopefully the similarities start and stop with the outer case…

robbocurry
    Participant

Don’t panic Brendon – they’re not anything like a B*******r!
    BTW, typical B*******r to copy the look of something good.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I purchased four QSC PLD 4.5 amplifiers about 9 months ago
    and they are completely awesome, amperage draw is incredibly low and excellent built in processing.

I used to be a Crown guy…
    Service by the QSC company is second to none.

qsc amps

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Just installed 2 PLD 4.3 driving QSC ILA 6 box line array. They are really cool amps. Not your grandpas power amp. Bit of a learning curve. A&H GLD 112 AR2412 and 084 on the front end.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

GCumbee,
    I really like them too!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.