QU16: Using FX3 & FX4

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU16: Using FX3 & FX4

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of av8en1 av8en1 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BruceMc
    BruceMc
    Participant

I’m a bit of a noob and I’m trying to figure how one would use FX3 & FX4 that have no send masters. Can someone give me a few use case examples of those?

Thanks.

-bruce

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

You don’t have to use a buss (FX Send) to send a signal to an effect. You can send it directly from any channel. So, say you wanted to send the snare drum to a plate reverb. Chances are that you only need that particular reverb for that one drum. So, why use a buss? A buss is for summing different signals and sending them all to the same “place”.

Read page 28 of the v1.5 Manual under Channel Routing screen
    Try it.
    Plug a mic into Channel 1 and set it up so you can hear yourself in the main output speakers.
    Select Channel 1
    Push the Routing Button next to the Touch Screen to open the Routing screen
    Select the Tab labeled ch 1
    From the Direct Out Source Drop-Down, select Post EQ (this is the point within the signal chain you want to “tap” the signal and it will very depending on what you want to do)
    Press the FX Button next to the Touch Screen to open the FX screen
    Add a reverb to the Effects Rack or select one already in there
    Select the “Back Panel” (Page 44)
    From the drop-down list on the left select “Insert
    From the Input Drop-down list, choose “Ch 1
    Talk in the mic again. You should here the effect.
    Just below the Input drop-down there is a small slider labeled “D” (Dry) on the left and “W” (Wet) on the left. You can use the slider to control the Wet/Dry Ratio of the signal returned from the effect.

Note: I haven’t done this since I updated to 1.5. If you have named your channels, the name may show up instead of the default “ch 1”

Profile photo of BruceMc
    BruceMc
    Participant

Thanks mamerica. I haven’t purchased it yet, I’m still debating this and the SL16.4.2 AI, so I can’t try it out. My local store does not have it in stock.

In your example of the snare drum, it sounds like this is a 1:1 without the send bus or consuming one of the other mix buses, correct?

Thanks.

-bruce

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Or send from mix busses. Change on back panel button of FX.

mamerica
    Participant

Good point GCumbee!

mamerica
    Participant

Good point GCumbee!

BruceMc, what he is saying is that you can go into the Back Panel of an effect and select one of the mix busses as the input and use it just like you would FX1 and FX2

Profile photo of BruceMc
    BruceMc
    Participant

Excellent. Thank you both!

Profile photo of av8en1
    av8en1
    Participant

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the detailed “how-to”. You saved me a great deal of time, my most precious thing in life. It is greatly appreciated.

john c
    Happy Dog Audio

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.