QU16 locked up on Custom Layer

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU16 locked up on Custom Layer

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie WaihekeSoundie 10 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Hi all,
    I got a scenario where having switched to the custom layer (I have been trying to get the desk integrated with my DAW) I could not switch out of that layer i.e pressing either of the 2 layer select buttons had no effect and did not switch out of the custom layer. Switching scenes had no effect. Disconnecting the USB and rebooting had no effect (though perhaps I should not have saved when I turned off). Only thing that brought it back to normal operation was a full hard system reset which is a pain in the butt because I have lost my scenes etc…
    Was just familiarising so no real harm done but would have been a total disaster in a gig or paid recording session.

Not sure if this is a known issue– I assume it is an issue not just daft user error?? The documentation around the DAW integration is very poor as has been remarked in other posts.
    Thanks

Profile photo of Dwight
    Dwight
    Participant

there is a button in the screen that you can lock the costom layer so you can’t get out of it. Make sure that is not clicked on.
    Hope that helps

Dwight

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Sorry– yes.. I just found it and it was set on.. page 43 explains
    (my bad.. RTFM)
    Many thanks.
    I do love my QU 16.. 🙂

Profile photo of Dwight
    Dwight
    Participant

I have never used it so I don’t exactly know what it does but I have seen in in the screen menu when in the custom Layer

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Well it does pretty much what I experienced.. if you click it on the only layer you can work is the custom layer– clicking to switch to the returns layer or the channels layer does nothing. Can’t quite figure why you would want this though– but I’m only slowly getting to grips with the custom layer..
    Can some one explain the use case for this button?
    Thanks

Profile photo of Dwight
    Dwight
    Participant

I am thinking that if you have less than 16 channels including effects cd and such it isn’t a bad ideas to lock it in as there is less of a chance in making a change in the wrong layer. Example if you have moved your cd player to 16 on your custom layer but are in your normal layer you will not be adjusting the cd player anymore but just moving fader 16 which may or may not do anything, but will not adult your cd player anymore.

You may as well have your custom layer full of normal channels but have grouped them like all of your vocals together but still need to access your effects on your other layer.

I have used the custom layer but I haven’t locked it yet

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Yeh– think I get you.
    Locking the customer layer means that the only layer you can use is the custom layer. I realise now that this is useful if you have mapped all the faders you need right now for your show (or recording) to the custom layer — In this scenario, freezing to just the custom layer means you simply can’t adjust in the wrong layer. Actually that is quite cool.

Mind you, mixing live I find I’m much more likely to adjust a fader in the wrong MIX than in the wrong LAYER but nothing to be done abut this that I can see– it is just practice and discipline–
    Changed a monitor MIX setting. All done ? –> Immediately revert to LR!!
    Another one? All Done ? –> Immediately revert to LR!!

If anybody else has any tips about this– would be appreciated 🙂
    Andy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.