QU16 FX routing question

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU16 FX routing question

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

Is there a way for me to change my routing to solve this problem?

The band uses iems so they like some reverb to make the vocals less dry sounding. However, I find that if I decrease a channel fader for less volume through FOH, that channel loses its FX through the iems. Likewise, if I decrease a channel fader whilst in mix mode, although the volume is reduced in the iems which is what I want, that channel still sends FX which can be heard in the earbuds. I have my FX set to post but is there something else I can do to:
    1) Prevent FX through iem when channel fader is decreased?
    2) Keep FX through iems when channel fader is decreased through FOH?

Thank you in advance.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Just think about the FX engines inside to Qu to be outboard gear. There is one audio signal into the Fx unit and one back which may be routed everywhere. If you feed the Fx post fader (which is ok for FOH), then FX intensity obviously will follow your channel fader setting.
    If you want to have a different FX mix for IEMs, you simply need a second FX engine only for that case. That one should have pre-fader sends from the channels, so you still have FX on the IEMs even with the channel faders turned down on FOH.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Or radical thinking, you could eat all of your DCAs and have the FX postfade, but the return and the vocalist in a DCA, then use that on the custom layer.

It’s not a solution I’d suggest – why do they want reverb in their IEMs? Does it help with tuning/timing?

I tends not to put reverb through monitors by default – a few people really want it (but they tend not to be the best vocalists).

(Yes I know I’ll get killed for that)

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@bob

I agree with that, if you are confident in your own vocal ability then there is no need to have FX coming back through your monitor, it becomes a crutch for some. We certainly don’t use it and when I go out and do FOH jobs I don’t put FX in to the performers monitor either, unless he or she cannot perform without it.

Worse when they want masses of echo, not only through FOH but in their monitors!

Lee

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Yep, totally with you. Any FX on the monitors make it more difficult for the musicians. I normally tend to refuse such requests or remove the FX once the performance is running (less discussion)…

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

It is more about inspiration and hype. I worked with studio singers and artists in Nashville for years. They generally like a little to get into it more. Make them feel like they are performing in a huge room. It is all about the psychology of the performance. Too much can create pitch problems with a false sense of breath support.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Are you using ambience mics for the IEM’s? This should provide the spaciousness they desire without dealing with FX pre/post issues.

debzdoodle
    Participant

I never put FX through wedges but I do find that bands I work with who use iems prefer a little reverb – no echo!!. I was a singer for many years – very confident in my vocal ability – and although I never put reverb through my wedge monitor, I must admit I would prefer a small amount through iems if I had used them. Personal preference.
    I do use a stage mic for ambience also to help a little with the iems.

So it seems I was expecting too much from the mixer – which is what I thought – and I need to rethink if I want to get separate control of FX between FOH and mon outs….

Thanks everyone for your suggestions…

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Ambience isn’t unreasonable for FX, you do get separate levels,but you can’t have one engine doing both pre and post fade signals…

debzdoodle
    Participant

Thanks Bob….that is what I was expecting, I suppose – at least I wasn’t missing something

Profile photo of BruceMc
    BruceMc
    Participant

We use IEM’s and a little reverb helps liven things up. I have one FX channel setup as ambient reverb and I use one of the mono mixes as a prefader send to that reverb. That way it is totally independent of FOH and we can put a little verb on any of the channels.

We do not use room mics, this works just fine for us.

debzdoodle
    Participant

Interesting Bruce – this sounds like a good solution. How would I go about setting up a mix to be a pre fader send to a reverb and then route that to a stereo mix ?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

some reverb in ears and in wedges is a very nice thing, but only if it is properly set for the song and not too much,,,, but enough to hear.
    To each his/her own 🙂

Profile photo of BruceMc
    BruceMc
    Participant

I don’t have the board in front of me, but I believe all of the mix outputs are prefade by default, if not just select the mix and hit the prefade button for each channel.

In my setup, we use mix 1 as the monitor FX send. So anything we want reverb on we send a little to mix 1. Usually a little vocals, drums, or anything else that helps the band sound more natural in the IEMs.

Then I take one of the FX (FX4 in my case) and patch it for Mix/Return, selecting mix 1 as the input. Then just add the FX4 return to each of your IEM mixes to taste.

We use FX1 & FX2 for FOH effects, so the IEMs get their own thing without affecting FOH. Works great for us.

The downside is that it consumes one of your mixes. We are using just the stereo mixes (3) for IEMs, so the mono are unused anyway.

debzdoodle
    Participant

Thanks Bruce – we use the stereo mixes for iems also but I use one extra mono mix for the 4th iem, and 2 mono mixes for specialized FX- so I do have one mono mix free. I’ll try this and see if it helps…thank again!!

On a side note – I love my QU16 and at this price point, it has ridiculous functionality so no complaints here – However….. I think limiting the board to 3 stereo mixes doesn’t make much sense. Id like to be able to link the mono mixes for stereo. I wonder if this will ever become available with firmware????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.