QU16 and Smaart

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU16 and Smaart

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Veto Veto 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Darkmutton
    Darkmutton
    Participant

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the QU16 as an interface in order to run Smaart on a laptop. If so how do you set up the routing? The only thing i can find online is a youtube video of someone doing it on an X32.

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Darkmutton – I posed this question to both Rational Acoustics and Presonus about 7 years ago and they didn’t know how to effectively do it… Some say they figured it out but when pressed for the information – seem to fall by the way side.

As you may know – the Main Out on the console has to be split where one side continues on through the chain like normal and the other split becomes the Reference signal into the interface.

So… Somehow through the software ( Smaart and Qu-software) if you can tap into the Main line it maybe possible.

I use a separate interface and mostly use Smaart on the CUE Buss… Much like the way the Spectrogragh is routed now… Spectrogragh follows PAFL – which is brilliant! It helps me to quickly see who is cluttering the spectrum or who is howling or feeding back… Except the actual real Spectrogragh in Smaart is way easier to read than the one on the Qu due to screen size and resolution.

I will try and work on this myself now that you have brought it up… On my Presonus console I didn’t want to go out of the board and go back in with some funky routing…

It would be cool to work this out. I will give it another shot.

Darkmutton
    Participant

My initial thought was if the measurement mic input and music source for the reference channel could be panned left and right but im struggling at routing audio back to my laptop.

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Have you made any progress with this Darkmutton?

I hooked the Qu up to my computer and opened Smaart. If you open the Measurement Configuration window you will see Input settings.

On Device: click the down arrow to open up a list of available devices… I selected ASIO: Qu ASIO Driver…

This gave me access to all the inputs on the QU. On my board I selected 31 for my first input and 32 for my second input.

At this point – it is no issue to use this as a single channel RTA. The problem I have with the second channel is the fact that on a separate interface – input 2 would receive the split from the MAIN OUT of the console.

That means you would have to go OUT of the Qu and go right back into an Input on the console… I think this would be problematic. I am not good enough with routing in specific situations to do this kind of thing… I just use gear the way it is intended or I don’t do it….

So unless someone else comes along with advanced routing skills in strange situations- I am back to where I was several years ago…

Like I said before – I use Smaart on the Cue Bus and love it… But of course my system was setup with Smaart using manufacturer settings… Capturing the system in the free field and then taking it into the venue to see what the room did to the system and using Smaart to assist me in getting the frequency response close to the outdoor free field trace….

After that – Smaart gets moved to my Cue Bus.

I am interested to know if someone can route from the main out of the console back through the board without damaging something…

Darkmutton
    Participant

I’ve not played anymore but can you select any of the mix outputs as your inputs. If that is possible you could direct the reference channel to mix 3 and the reference mic to mix 4 and set both mixs to pre fader with just the channel feeds you require set to unity.

Profile photo of Veto
    Veto
    Participant

I have been using my QU32 with smaart V7 & V8.
    Channels 1-4 for mic and an aux out or matrix for reference. Using the QU’s pink noise.
    I did try channels 26-29 but the inputs did not line up in smaart for some reason.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.