Qu-You protocol?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-You protocol?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of StrokerRED StrokerRED 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Zueri
    Zueri
    Participant

Hi
    Does anybody know more about the protocol used for Qu-You? I couldn’t find any information about this. As Allen&Heat seems not to be willing to develop Andorid apps (for Qu-You or Qu-Pad) I thought about implementing the Qu-You by myself. If the protocol is open I don’t think it should be a huge efoort. It would be better of course to have it provided by the A&H. But if this is not an option maybe the protocol can be made open to public so the community can work on it?

Thanks

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I guess all required information can be found in the MIDI protocol documentation for the Qu
    …lacking knowledge about Qu-You connection, maybe UDP (guessing…)…

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

It has been described as lightweight

I am therefore assuming that it isn’t encrypted (there is certainly no authentication that I’m aware of) so a simple network dump should get a pretty good view of whether it is using subset of the normal Midi commands or an additional protocol.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

It would be pretty consequent to just update the MIDI protocol document to V1.6 including Qu-You specs. Correct, Nicola? 😉

Profile photo of Zueri
    Zueri
    Participant

An updated MIDI protocol document would be perfect. To get a netowrk dump I would need an iPhone which is not the case 🙁 All our band members use Android phones (as the majority of smartphone users do). That’s why I wanted to have a look at the protocol to see if I can do something by myself until A&H decides to support the major mobile platform as many forum members here are requesting (if this is ever the case).

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

You can normally find at least one associate with an iPhone/iPod touch/iPad

Profile photo of Zueri
    Zueri
    Participant

Maybe I could find an iDevice user. But I prefer doing engineering work to reverse-engineering. Means if there is no documentation I will just not start working on this and spend my limited spare time with trying to figure out how qu-you works by analyzing network traffic.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Other thread suggests that internal protocols don’t get published.

Profile photo of Zueri
    Zueri
    Participant

This would be bad news for my plan. Let’s see if we can get an offical statement of A&H.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I really doubt A&H did something totally different for the Qu-You compared to the well documented MIDI interface which is also used for the Qu-Pad. Its just that the Qu-You does not connect via the “reserved” TCP port used for the one exclusive Qu-Pad application.
    I probably can do a quick check next week. Anyway, a short statement of A&H would be helpful indeed…

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

The protocol used for Qu-You is significantly different from the public MIDI protocol. It is subject to continual rapid change and improvement as the code develops. I’m afraid that for this reason we do not intend to publish a spec document.
    We will continue to support the public MIDI code and its documentation.

Profile photo of Zueri
    Zueri
    Participant

Thank you Nicola for your answer. Even if this means that I cannot start the project. Maybe we get A&H Android Apps with the next firmware version. Would be a nice surprise 😉

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I have to say that a Qu-You on android would be nice – I can understand limiting Qu-Pad to iOS (although I’d like to see it on desktop platforms as well), but Qu-You seems a good fit as a simple controller.

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I will never understand it. This is about the hundredth thread about android support. I see it on the Presonus forum all the time too. If you absolutely needed Android wireless access, why did you buy a mixer that doesn’t support it? It’s like buying a sixteen channel mixer if you really need twenty-four. If you really need an iPad, buy one. A used one probably won’t break the bank. Think of it as an investment, write it off on your taxes. There is a reason professional sound companies charge more than your brother-in-law. If you want to run with the big dogs, you have to learn to piss in the tall grass.

Rant over. I didn’t mean it as a personal attack. It’s just an observation.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’m not really in agreement with your analogy…

I have bought an iPad, but to expect every band member of every band to buy an iDevice, just to support this is for many people (not everyone is a professional) not worth it.

The QuPad is an engineer product, hence I understand the limitation
    Qu-You is not an engineer product, and I don’t think it’s a given that people won’t move between mixers…

I bought the A&H with a couple of features “missing” from what I was hoping for. Qu-You has mostly filled one (and the band I normally work with have enough iDevices that it’s not an issue), but I can see a small amount of development making this accessible to a significantly wider market…

But yes, this keeps coming up, and going round 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.