Qu-You mode within Qu-Pad

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Qu-You mode within Qu-Pad

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lesouvage
    lesouvage
    Participant

My suggestion is to add an extra tab to Qu-Pad with a Qu-You UI and L/R included in the mixes. It is totally logic that L/R isn’t included in Qu-You but L/R is just one of the mixes so from a software point of view it can’t be that hard and complicated. My opinion is that the UI of Qu-You is close to perfect (intuitive, self explanatory and easy to explain to others). It is very easy to set up and keep track of mixing groups with Qu-You and adjust te volume of this groups and the mixing of the different assigned channels within a group with just a move of a fingertip. It would be nice of this simplicity was available for the guy or lady doing the FOH sound.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Nothing specisl about L&R, in a setting small enough for this to be useful could you use outputs 9/10 instead?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

mote generically “groups” on the desk wouldnbe nice, a soft linking of faders…

lesouvage
    Participant

[XAP]Bob, I know that using mix 9-10 is basically the same as using L/R but it is a bit confusing when others are also mixing during an evening and I have to explain that FOH is on 9-10. Is it possible to link L/R and MIX 9-10 together in a way that an adjustment in L/R is also done in MIX9-10 and vice versa?

When Qu-You is used on stage the musicians have the option to control the FOH sound and that makes me a bit nervous. But I never use all my mixes so mix 9-10 will do. I haven’t tested running Qu-You and Qu-Pad simultaneously at my iPad but they show as a great combination.

It would be nice if a Qu-You user can change the names of the channels within his/her Qu-You app running. While I usually name the mics “Mic1, Mic2 and Mic3.”, not always knowing the names of the ones on stage, we may assume that band members know each other so using the real names “Peter, Anna and George” will result in a better experience then “Mic1, Mic2 and Mic3”. (just a thought)

lesouvage
    Participant

A setback of using MIX9-10 instead of L/R will be that custom 1 and custom 2 in Qu-Pad aren’t really useful anymore because the custom groups are, as far as I can figure out, assigned to L/R. Am I correct or am I missing something?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Answers out of order:

Custom layers in the Qu-Pad app can control any mix – just select the mix on the right and the layer on the left.

If your musicians “lock mix” on their own Qu-You apps then they shouldn’t be touching FOH (but I understand the concern. I wonder if an “engineers lock” could be put on the desk, so I can lock out the monitor mixes which control wedges (or FOH/loop/recording) from being Qu-You controllable from the mixer itself?

I can’t think of an obvious way to link 9/10 to L/R like that, I suspect that the little extra training required to get people to use Qu-Pad would really pay off.

As for naming – the musicians get to see the names you allocate, and they can name their “groups”. I tend to set up the mics in Stage Right to Stage Left order (so it’s left to right as I look at the stage, and on the desk), so numbering is kind of OK – but when I know who is on which mic I’ll rename the channel. You could also colour code the mics rather than numbering them (Green cable -> “VoxGreen”) to make it easier to see which is which. If more naming was added then I would expect it should be “additional” local names (in a different colour maybe?) so that it is obvious when you are talking about the same name as your engineer.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Oh – and they get to see the mix names as well, so name 9/10 as FOH and there is no confusion 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.