Qu – You for Android

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Qu – You for Android

This topic contains 22 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Patrick Patrick 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ilpianolista
    ilpianolista
    Participant

Hi
    qu-you just released for apple device…why not for Android phone/tablet? I suppose there are a lot of android user waiting for this…

Hope to see soon….

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

I’d love to tag this to the end of the “multiple iDevice” thread, but I get logged out as soon as I try. Site bug again?

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS!! and thanks on the Qu-You and the new firmware release. It’s getting better all the time. Is there any possibility that the Qu-You app might be available on Android in the near future? Some of my band members use that.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Doubt it. Android dev is just java hellishness. To make a cross platform app, you’d have to compromise on performance somewhere. I’d rather just buy the right tool for the job.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Android dev isn’t *that* bad, but it would be “different”

There is no way most people will buy an idevice just for this, even the cheapest ipod touch is just silly expensive when most people already have a perfectly capable computer in their pockets…

Profile photo of DanK
    DanK
    Participant

Adding my support for this request. Qu-pad (or qu-droid I guess!) may be a tall order for us green robots, but there’s clearly a demand for Android compatible monitor mix control app.

Profile photo of LKY
    LKY
    Participant

Well,

The biggest issue with android and any audio/latency is there isn’t a standard…

Too many different hardware/software/driver configurations…

Also, Nicola stated that the qu-you app uses an ad hoc lightweight protocol…

But, if the release the protocol, I’m sure it can be built, just can’t guarantee latency on the android environment…

Because of the nonstandard hardware/drier/etc you see very little pro audio anything on the droids

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Audio latency not relevant for qu-you

Support for “what the band already has in their pocket” however…

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

This latency thing is a real red-herring. Yeah I could do sound processing on an Apple device but why would I? It would be like crossing the Atlantic in a rowing boat. Yes it can be done, buy why when I could catch a liner or fly?

Profile photo of John-B
    John-B
    Participant

Here is a very in-depth article on why the Audio world doesn’t do Android. Also, a previous generation i-device can be found pretty cheaply, I’d think! Hope this helps..

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/androidvoid

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

This isn’t an audio request – it’s a control request.

Audio latency is not relevant for the Qu-Pad or the Qu-You.

And even a 2nd gen iPod touch is looking north of £50, compared with the phone already in the pocket of more than half the band (Android market share is a long way ahead of Apple)

Profile photo of John-B
    John-B
    Participant

I realize that, but how about latency for control, not to mention trying to develop for how many different versions of hardware, skins on top of Android, from the numerous manufacturers? Come to think of it, I think someone did develop a version of Qu-Pad for Android? maybe same will be done for Qu-You. I admittedly am NOT a developer, and just figured I’d link to the article as an assist, to explain some of the reasoning.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Only the very unexperienced and very young musician will be wanting to use this fancy app. No serious musician will ever be seen playing with his phone on stage. This is clearly a feature for the amateur with a fable for technology. A musician playing with his phone on stage is the last thing I’d like to see on a concert. And a sound tech offering me to take care of my own mix is just plain useless.

So who needs this app apart from the metrosexual air guitar playing fully virtual ‘smart ass’ fancy apple fanboy? The corresponding android loser? C’mon, give it a break.

Profile photo of ilpianolista
    ilpianolista
    Participant

No matter who uses the application , but I think if A & H , Behringer , Soundcraft are developing app for remote control … maybe someone should use that option : D
    Furthermore, I am convinced that if someone has developed this app with 0 (zero !!) money probably a company like A & H can definitely do better
    https://qu-apps.wieggers.org/

I have tried this app and I have to say that it works even if the look and feel and the amount of features is limited.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Maybe the band who don’t get the o2 for the day to set up.

Maybe having a device on a music stand, next to the music which can do “more me” into in ears as easily as a page turn is useful…

Sure I’m pretty good at dialling in their monitor mixes, but particularly since we’ve gone mostly in ear those mixes are critical, and the ability to tweak them during soundchecks/rehearsals makes life much quicker.

During a gig most of their hands are occupied already…

Profile photo of mr.tp
    mr.tp
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.