QU USB long range

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU USB long range

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

@Rensdebee
    Instead of a KVM connection I would go the RDP route. This is network enabled and quite fast enough. But there is another issue to talk about. If you want to mix within a DAW like Reaper using an ASIO interface like the QU how will you do the monitoring of the mix? Since Reaper only allows you one ASIO interface you have to pass the output back to your QU and then to the monitoring device in your extra room. Have you ever thought about that.

BTW: The more I read such questions like yours here from QU users, the more I come to the conclusion that users like you bet on the wrong horse. The SQ series would be the better product for your needs, to stay within the product ranges provided by A&H. The QU is an entry level mixing console and, for my opinion, never designed to do such tasks like you and others want to do that. The SQ series is far more versatile. Using it with a Dante card will eliminate the constraint of length more or less, and you can use Dante Via to create a simple monitoring solution for your audio mixing PC. Since Reaper only works with the Dante Virtual Soundcard, you have no problems.
    Dante Via can also be a solution for you problem but unfortunately it is restricted to 16 audio channels.

Profile photo of Rensdebee
    Rensdebee
    Participant

@mfk0815, I also saw RDP it looks promising i will think of a solution how to implement it.
    I have thought about monitoring, there is a plug-in for reaper to output the master mix to the soundcard of your liking. Also when we bought the QU about 4 yours ago we didn’t think we had to livestream our services so we didn’t cared about such functionality.

@voluonteer, you keep saying put the laptop closer to the console and I get that that is necessary. But we are not able to mix in the same room as the console that’s the problem. So we need away of mixing sounds from the QU in another room sperate from the mixer.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

What we did was use a group in mix mode. Assign all channels to the mix to pre-fader. Assign the group to a matrix and run the matrix output to a focusrite usb interface connected to our streaming computer (actually a Mevo camera). Then we ran the group outputs on the board to a headphone amp in another room using xlr cables. Then used the iPad app in the room to adjust the channel faders in the group mix. You can’t adjust EQ or other parameters at the channel level but you can EQ and compress the mix to taste.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Mkk0815

and yet we use our Qu quite well for live and streaming

we just dont have the video part in another zipcode
    by puttting everything in one room it works really good

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Rensdebee

Okay , then move the mixer closer to the laptop

Or move both of them somewhere else that they are both close together

Trying to get usb to do that distance is not feasible
    and note the other problems you will have that @mfk0815 noted

I am sure that there is *some* way to do it the way you want if you throw enough money at the problem
    that makes the question do you have that much money at all and do you really want to spend it that way

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What we did was use a group in mix mode. Assign all channels to the mix to pre-fader. Assign the group to a matrix and run the matrix output to a focusrite usb interface connected to our streaming computer (actually a Mevo camera). Then we ran the group outputs on the board to a headphone amp in another room using xlr cables. Then used the iPad app in the room to adjust the channel faders in the group mix. You can’t adjust EQ or other parameters at the channel level but you can EQ and compress the mix to taste.

That’s a good work around with the noted limitations.
    Do you have the mix set to pre or post channel processing?

Depending if you have some channels to spare on your QU here’s a way you could get full input channel control or at least full control of priority input channels.

Split the input channels into two inputs, one input feeding the main mix and the other feeding just the live stream mix. Un-assign the channels feeding the live stream from main mix.

If your mix is set up for prefade / post channel processing you all set.
    If your mix is set up for preface / pre channal processing you would need to do a couple routing changes if you only going to split a few of the channels to feed to the live stream and include full channel processing on them.

Assign the live stream split channels to a group, un-assign that group from the main mix and then bring up that group in the matrix mix that includes the other channels live stream mix input.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Mike C, thanks for the split channel idea. We use a dSnake stage box so it would have been easy to duplicate channels, but for awhile now we’ve quit streaming since we’re a small church and are instead having two, socially distanced services. We switched to electric drums from a fully miked acoustic kit awhile back so we would have had plenty of extra channels available. Wish I would have thought of that when we were streaming. I could have even had separate reverb on the duplicate channels since we’re not using one of the effects slots. Oh well, we got the job done while needed.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Mike C, thanks for the split channel idea. We use a dSnake stage box so it would have been easy to duplicate channels, but for awhile now we’ve quit streaming since we’re a small church and are instead having two, socially distanced services. We switched to electric drums from a fully miked acoustic kit awhile back so we would have had plenty of extra channels available. Wish I would have thought of that when we were streaming. I could have even had separate reverb on the duplicate channels since we’re not using one of the effects slots. Oh well, we got the job done while needed.

Since your using a stage box that makes it even easier to split channels rather than using a bunch of Y cables and it sounds like you have the extra open channels.

I’m guessing going to electronic drums made your job of mixing and controlling the stage volume easier in church setting!!!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@Rensdebee
    I see that Reaper DAW software can be controlled remotely !?
    Maybe for any QU users, a work around might be to… or could position their USB computer/Mac next to the main FOH desk and control Reaper remotely for a different mix? … with their ears in another room with remote speakers?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Just an idea.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

OR to buy an additional mixer SQ and use the port from the QU to run an additional mix

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.