QU USB long range

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU USB long range

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rensdebee
    Rensdebee
    Participant

Hello,
    At our church we are using the QU-24 as our mixing console. We want to use the USB out and use it to mix in reaper on a PC for outlet livestream. However we want to mix in a separate room this room is about 50m from our console we have tried some methods use usb over that length but with no success. Does anyone know how we can achieve this?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

use the search, dammmmit
    every week the same questions and nobody is searching

we already had some long discussions about this

Rensdebee
    Participant

I’m sorry but I cannot find it. Could you post a link to the post.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Rensdebee

Really you think you will use reaper in RT for livestream mixing while it is being transmitted ?

If you are going to mix and upload later then use sneaker net.

For livestream
    Mix in the Qu and move your pc with obs or equivalent encoding box next to it
    and just feed the sound into that pc from a mix out.
    Some feed the sound to a camera and relay it to their OBS pc.
    But You wont do 164 feet with usb without some magical devices between them.

SteffenR
    Participant
    Rensdebee
    Participant

We use our main console to make a room mix but we want to make a livestream mix sperate from the room mix with it’s own effects, eq, and compression. A lot of people have adapted using a daw for there livestream mix. So it is possible and I was looking for a way to transmit ASIO over a longer distance possibly over ethernet or something. In the other threat I could not find a suitable solution, long usb cable are just not reliable at that distance. I will look further.

SteffenR
    Participant

I did understand what U are trying to do…

the conclusion is … it is not possible with the QU and USB
    maximum extension length is 20m and could work but it’s not supported

for the SQ, Avantis and dLive (oh and the iLive and GLD) it would be easy going with the help of DANTE or MADI (not in SQ)

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

The longest run I’ve seen suggested for a USB 2.0 amplified cable is about 80 ft. For USB 3 it’s about 25 feet.

Here’s a wild suggestion: Put your CPU within range of your longest USB B-A cable from the mixer and use a KVM swit5ch to extend your Monitor, keyboard and mouse to your control room.

There are a lot of these devices, and they can get expensive. One you might consider is Black Box Item #: ACU5002A KVM Extender – VGA, USB Computer, PS/2 Console, Single-Access, CATx that sells for about $450.You get top-flight video performance with VGA resolutions of 1600 x 1200 up to 328 feet (100 m) and 1900 x 1440 up to 164 feet (50 m).
    An HDMI unit will probably run over $1000.

volounteer
    Participant

@Rensdebee

The matrix lets you diddle it even more tweaking in the Qu if that is what you want to do

but still we do mixing on the Qu then send it to OBS from a mix out

move your reaper DAW pc closer to the Qu
    why cause problems needlessly

SteffenR
    Participant

KVM extenders will not work I guess
    since these mostly not able to use the asyncronus transfer method usually used for streaming data over USB
    the timing on the interface get out of sync over long cables and many conversations and so the transmission would not be relieable enough for audio

you should try it before you buy a device

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

Perhaps you need to educate me a bit more regarding KVM devices. The only signals transmitted here are the video, keyboard and mouse digital signals. No audio is involved. All audio is handled by the PC-USB-Mixer interface, which you would have in any situation.

volounteer
    Participant

@doctorg

dont you have to merge the audio with the video for encoding and then streaming ?

are you using osb and also mixing with a DAW in the pc for streaming?
    how do you keep everything synced up ?

Rensdebee
    Participant

No we have more then one laptop, one for streaming and one for audio. We are not able to have the audio/mixing pc in the same room as the QU because we use the QU for the room mix and the pc for the livestream mix. Then we stream the audio over NDI to the streaming pc. Sync is just trial and error we almost have got no delay between video and audio.

KVM could be a useful methods, I will look into that.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I on this topic would respond regarding the use of KVM technology, but none have so far, so I’ll add my two-cents worth.

This technology has been used for decades for remote operation of computers, and I feel it should work here. However, because the technology has so many applications and vendors, it may be difficult to find the most cost-effective solution.

• kvm-switches-online.com
  • is one possible source of information and options. Here is a link to an example vendor’s option for a modest system:

• https://42u.com/pdf/Manual_Adder-INFINITY_INFINITY-DUAL_V3-4.pdf
  • Basically, you connect your mixer USB-B to the local host PC (should be a good, fast PC. Could be a laptop, but the monitor is not needed.} then connect the Video, USB and audio from the PC to the KVM Transmitter, which is connected via Cat5/6 cable to the remote KVM receiver. That is then connected to the video monitor, keyboard, mouse and audio device in the remote location. Note that the PC DAW will be working with multichannel audio, but only the stereo output from the PC is transmitted remotely. Should there be an issue with the audio over the KVM link, you can send the low-impedance audio from the sound card output jack over a separate shielded cable to the remote location. That should work. That is what I originally assumed until I found that standard audio is also commonly handled by KVM devices.

Because this won’t be cheap, let me add that many groups that stream good music don’t do it live. Rather, they record the muulti-channel audio and mix/master it in their DAW before streaming or uploading it at a later time. Be sure this isn’t a reasonable solution before going much further.

I hope this will get you started……

volounteer
Participant

@DoctorG

The simplest best cheapest easiest solution is to move the PC next to the Qu

We do that and it WORKS! without all the angst and expense and other problems folks have with far distant pcs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.