Qu series Computer / DAW setup recommendations

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu series Computer / DAW setup recommendations

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of I am I am 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Looking for advice. Would like to put together a very dependable recording set up utilizing my Qu32. I’ve had some issues with the Qu drive recording facility being inconsistent due to hard disk sensitivity to vibrations etc at concerts. (See post in trouble shooting). I’m considering a Mac mini or Mac book for ease of setup/reliability. Can anyone recommend a specific Mac/daw combo that sets up and works effortlessly and reliably with the Qu series? Is it possible to use the Mac as a main recorder and the Qu drive as a back up for live shows? Also I assume I can use something like a UAD Duo with the Mac for times when I’m just over dubbing and don’t want to hook up the Qu. I like this too because I have a nice Great River Pre amp that I’d like to use but need AD converters to get it in the daw. Am I missing anything?
    Suggestions, comments, and advice all appreciated!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Maybe read this one: Best Laptop for qu16 recording

Profile photo of AlainBASS
    AlainBASS
    Participant

I’ve used a solid-state drive (SSD 120Gb Samsung) flawlessly (18 individual tracks) for one year. My previous drive skipped sections of audio because it was a regular “spindle” drive, probably too slow to grab everything the QU sent to it. No need to carry the Mac on shows anymore as well.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi AlainBASS
    Can you tell me what model that is?
    Thanks

dave NZ

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

If you are paranoid then I’d suggest a Sandisk Extreme USB stick via QuDrive, and a laptop with an external SSD, or another Sandisk Extreme…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

In live recording there is no room for “sorry my hard drive failed”
    I do double takes for any ‘just in case’ scenarios
    I have 3 days of live conference to record coming up..
    Last year I used QU-> USB-B -> PC ->Reaper and a hard spinning hard drive of which I can not remember (so many of them)
    How ever this time I would like to use SSD
    So i see here (NZ) I can get samsung external SSD.
    Just wanted to check on that model that AlainBASS uses.

Also can you point me to the calculations for data that Andreas posted somewhere?

Thanks
    Its morning here and the sun is shining
    Spring is in the air.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Still the official Understanding QuDrive article from A&H.

The maximum file size on FAT32 is 4 GB. Qu-Drive audio data rate per track is 8.24 MB / minute (144 KB / second). This would allow a maximum recording time of roughly 8 hours. For 18 tracks you would need 72 GB drive capacity for the maximum recording time.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

ok Thanks
    I read that (understanding QU Drive) yesterday however missed those calculations.

Ok so after max recording which I assume is 4 gig per track.
    How long in seconds before you can re-arm and record?
    I guess this is also dependent on the buffer in the drive?

Also if you run over the 4 gig limit does the QU drive automatically finish and write to disc or SSD?

I have done small record sessions with an Sandisk but never pushed those boundaries.

Thanks

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Isn’t there any break for some minutes within 8 hours? I didn’t count the seconds, but maybe you should calculate about 2 minutes (finding the menu, stopping record, maybe change stick, re-arm next recording).

Profile photo of I am
    I am
    Participant

Has anyone tried Reason 8 with windows? Having a heck of a time. Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.