Qu series, audio interface, home studio question!

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu series, audio interface, home studio question!

This topic contains 39 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 76rich
    76rich
    Participant

Hello

I would really appreciate help/advice.

I have been searching for an answer to this for so long, I have become a bit overwhelmed by all the options, and am feeling a little lethargic!

Ok so currently I have a focusrite Scarlett 18in 6out audio interface.

I have a few synths, drum machines, midi keyboards, and outboard fx (including a space echo and various pedals)

I would like to have everything connected all the time. I can’t do this currently with the 18/6 as I don’t have enough outputs for all my ex fx.

So my question is this-

If I purchased a qu 16/24/32 etcetera, would this solve my problem?

I like the idea of just a desk that can have all my I/O going into (or out of) it, without having to take wires out and plug them into different bits of kit everytime I want to use them.

I use ableton 8 suite (can’t justify upgrading to 9) as my DAW

I’m really hoping that the qu could be the answer to my problem.

Cheers.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

it is not the answer to your problem…
    it is only 24bit 48kHz, that makes it a bit tricky for studio use…

I would suggest a patchbay

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

if 18 inputs aren’t enough – what are you using?

Is there mileage in having a couple of small analogue desks that basically act as a submix, so you can choose between some of your “rarer use” kit?

Thw QU series has a fixed sample rate/bit depth, so it depends what you are happy using in that regard.

Profile photo of 76rich
    76rich
    Participant

Hey guys thanks for the replies

Patchbay- that would still involve unplugging and plugging in kit wouldn’t it? Also it wouldn’t expand my output options would it? I’m not knowledgable about patchbays, so excuse me if that’s not right!

Profile photo of 76rich
    76rich
    Participant

Hey!

It’s not the inputs that are the issue ( I can expand them via light pipe and add another eight),
    It’s the outputs I am short off.

I suppose I could look at the analogue option and scale down a bit, but you know what it’s like- as soon as a toy is out of reach, you want to play with it!

That sample rate would suffice. It’s my home studio so I’m not needing it to be ‘professional’ quality

Thanks 🙂

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Toys are there to be played with 😉

Do you need the faders etc? You could use it as your midi surface as well – or you could use a QuPac maybe? Control it the other way – from the DAW.

Profile photo of 76rich
    76rich
    Participant

Haha yes they are!

I had considered going with a midi control surface, and a bigger audio interface, which would be the simplest option, but I like the idea of everything being in one- mixer, control surface, interface etc.

I don’t know the qu-pac, so I’ll take a look at that and see if it’s for me!

Thanks!

Rich 🙂

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The important thing is to recognise when you are buying a toy 😉

Profile photo of 76rich
    76rich
    Participant

So very true!

I have spent too much money on things I thought I wanted (maschine mk2 for instance), and then retuned or sold on within a few days!

Luckily I’m now a bit more seasoned, and only buy what I want….although flashing lights do still distract me from this!

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Adding another 8-channel preamp via Lightpipe could also add another 8 outputs, of course depending on the preamps you choose.
    What Focusrite interface are you using?

Profile photo of 76rich
    76rich
    Participant

It’s the focusrite Scarlett 18/6. (USB)

I’ve asked them about adding any extra outs, and they say I can only add ins (up to 8) and not outs.

I’d love that to be wrong, but as it came from the manufacturer direct, I didn’t question it. Mind you, if you are saying I can add outs, then that would change things completely!
    Cheers

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

I just took a look at the Scarlett 18i6 and there is only an ADAT input. You would need an ADAT output as well in order to use outputs from your ADAT-equipped preamps.

Profile photo of ljefe
    ljefe
    Participant

For what it’s worth-

I was in your situation, got rid of my RME, now I have my whole studio wired to my Mac (Logic Pro X) through the Qu-16 and I love it. I think I’m working with 22 inputs/24 outputs. I use Core Audio with the Mac, so I don’t have any idea how the drivers perform with a PC. It’s been flawless as a recording solution using 24bit/48kHz. I like the preamps and I love the conversion. The effects are nice, it’s easy to use, the build is sturdy, flying faders!, it’s a class mixer.

I understand it’s a good live board, but it also makes a great recording front end. For lots of ins and outs, the Qu-24 is the best for the money, it has some nice features the Qu-16 doesn’t have like groups.

I love mine, but you should seriously shop around- it’s a big decision and a lot of cash!

Profile photo of 76rich
    76rich
    Participant

Ljefe- thank you!

So it would actually work, as a replacement for my interface, with the added bonus of being a desk, with all the associated A&H loveliness!

I thought it would be a viable way to do things, however one of the earlier answers said that it wouldn’t work, hence my confusion/disappointment.

I’m going to have to research how it performs with windows 7…

I have a couple of questions if that’s cool-

So you have the qu16? Is there anything about it you would change? Or dislike?

What kind of set up do you have (hardware wise)?

As a solution to moving ITB to OTB, does it tick all the boxes? One of my concerns is that I spend all this money, and am left still needing to use other kit to do things which I expected to be able to do!

Finally- real estate. It’s a desk, so I know there’s going to be a lot of space taken up, so that’s taken as read, however is it too high, or are there any awkward shapes or positioning of ins/outs, that is annoying?

Thanks again!

Profile photo of ljefe
    ljefe
    Participant

If I had the space and money I would have gotten the Qu-24. It has more inputs and outputs, and it has groups which would be nice. However, I use groups inside of Logic so it’s not that much of an issue for me. I have found that I am using up all my inputs with my gear connected, which is probably a good thing so I don’t buy more outboard.

I wish the Qu had dedicated aux sends, but once again, it’s not really an issue because there are mix outputs- on the Qu-16 there are 4 mono, 3 stereo mix outs. I have a Chameleon Labs 7720 compressor, an Elysia Xfilter EQ, and a Strymon Big Sky reverb permanently hooked to the stereo mix outputs. I have two modulation pedals hooked to the first two mono mix outs.

The compressor and EQ come back on the ST1 and ST2 inputs so I won’t lose a bunch of channels that way. ST3 I keep for my hard drive. I mix through the Qu so I can use the internal effects and my outboard, and I mix it down to the hard disk I have connected to the Qu-drive. The reverb and two mono effects end up on tracks 15 & 16, 14, 13. 1 & 2 are my stereo returns from the computer (while recording), tracks 3-12 are inputs for my synth (4 outputs), Electribe (two outputs), bass D.I., mics for vocals, guitar, one amp. So I’m almost maxed.

The only things I do ITB anymore are editing files, grouping, some panning. Oh yeah, if I need to sidechain anything I do that in the DAW as well. There is ducking on the Qu-16 but it is rudimentary. I’ve used it, it works fine, but I like a lot of control if I’m sidechaining.

After I get everything recorded and edited I switch the mixer scene to my mix set-up which frees up all the inputs for tracks coming from the computer.

The Qu-16 is not big, it’s a nice desk size. The front face is tilted at a good angle. It’s an ingenious design, there is space under the face of the mixer, it keeps the air flowing. It never gets hot and there is no fan, so it is totally silent in operation.

The only difficult thing about using the mixer is remembering what layer I am on. The Qu-16 has twelve, including a custom layer. The buttons are well lit but it’s easy to get lost for a second or two.

I think it’s a great mixer. Part of my affection for the Qu-16 is how easy it is to get recording. Since I have a Mac, I can’t promise that your experience would be the same. Based on that, I would suggest you buy one from somewhere that has a good return policy or find someone who is using a Qu with a PC. I know of at least a few user at Gearslutz who are successfully using the Qu-24 with a PC, but I don’t know which OS they use.

Good luck to you. I am not the most technical person but I’ll check back on this thread to see if there are any other questions I can help you with.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.