Qu-SB WiFi Woes

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-SB WiFi Woes

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Freeza
    Freeza
    Participant

Hello all,

I’ve been using the Qu-SB at home attached to a BT HomeHub 5 network (this offers both 2.4 & 5 GHz wifi connectivity) and everything seems to be stable when using the Qu-Pad app.

The trick for me no is to get the SB out for gigs and recording, etc…so have been recently testing the ‘router vs access point’ options. So far for isolated testing I’ve used a TPLink AP (Which is 2.4 only and drops frequently) and a D-link DAP 1665 – which has configuration issues so will be returned.

Unfortunately I can’t seem to find any good ‘recommended’ Routers/AP via the A&H channels and the iLive support page doesn’t seem to load from the Knowledge Base. (https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/CategoryDocuments/iLive_Router_Compatibility.pdf)

I know ‘dual band’ is the preffered option for reliability issues so – a question for anyone based in the UK who uses and SB.

What make/model of router/ap do you use with your Qu-SB and how reliable is it? What range do you get?

I don’t really want to have to pull a reliable BT HHub out of the house just to use the Qu-SB on the road.

Cheers – 8)

L

Profile photo of Rockstaff
    Rockstaff
    Participant

I use an apple airport. It works perfectly

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Never had any problems with my Airport Expresses. One was new, the others were all refurbished jobbys.

Not yet done a big enough indoor gig to worry about range, but on outdoor shows, I’ve deliberately walked back to test the range. Somewhere around 50m when standing in a crowd seems about it, though up high, with direct line of sight, closer to 100 has worked.

You can also set up a second one to extend the range provided there’s mains to plug it into.

Other plus points are that you can set them up directly from the iPad, with Airport Utility, and stream audio over AirPlay

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I use an old AirPort Express.

Dual band isn’t a necessity – and it may cause issues depending on the way in which your device handles different signal strength on the two bands.

I’d grab a cheap android device and run one of the freely available wifi analysers on it. Then you can see what is going on on the airwaves…
    I’d also lock the channel (after looking at the WiFi analysis) since that is just one more thing that can cause glitches, and you only need glitches to break connectivity at a key time…

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

AS above I have been using an Apple Airport Express and up until a gig a couple of weeks ago has been good. The gig in question was at the Butlins camp in Skegness and for this particular show we were situated in the Skyline venue, basically modelled on a tent, it is a huge venue, probably holds around 2000 possibly more as it also has shops situated in there.

Anyway, had the QU-16 set up about 10ft away at the very most with the Express sat on top, the QU-app was pretty much unresponsive and constantly dropped out and would not connect, so I ended up cabling up a 30m Cat5e cable and placing the router on the DJ booth which was at shoulder level just behind me. It worked fine then.

So I can only put it down to the vast amount of 2.4ghz traffic in the venue, but I am almost sure I have the router set to 5ghz only, but will check on that tomorrow.

But still a fine and stable router.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Airport Expresses old and new versions.
    Compact, reliable and decent range in my experience. The wifi usually projects further than the PA lol.
    Not necessarily expensive, bought an older model on eBay (for a qu-24) for £12.50! It works perfectly!

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

You can also set up a second one to extend the range provided there’s mains to plug it into.

Mark, could you elaborate on this please ? This might come in handy one day…

Thanks !

Giga

Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

The old Airport Express could be configured for 5ghz only but this is not possible with the current version. You can however, configure the AE to enable 5ghz as well as 2.4 and only connect to this band. I use 5ghz whenever I can – but the guys use 2.4ghz for their phones using QU YOU. My main AE has been fantastic for almost 3 years now and my back-up AE (refurbished through Apple store) comes with me to shows also.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Giga – the WiFi stuff is just standard IP networking, so any local IT bod would help you set that up properly (No audio experience needed)

MarkPAman
    Participant

Giga

Rather than me explain (& probably forget an important bit), see this: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202056

I occasionally run wired, with one on stage & one FOH, but my main use of this is wirelessly, to gain height in a crowded room. Usually it’s not difficult to find power at the top of a lighting stand these days for example, and once you’ve set it up the first time, the only thing you need to do is plug it in & tape it up there.

Never tried more than one extra unit.

Profile photo of Freeza
    Freeza
    Participant

Hey thanks for all your input,

I know of an early AE going somewhere so will give it a shot and keep you posted.

Cheers 8)

L

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Thanks Bob and thanks Mark !

If I set up for one additional Airport and then I don’t plug it in do I have to make changes to the settings of the main Airport ?

Giga

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Shouldn’t do.

MarkPAman
    Participant

No. I just keep the second one in the van, and only grab it when the venue’s a bit tricky looking.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

As for routers, I have great results with both a TP Link ArcherC7 and a Netgrear Nighthawk R7000. I have a static IP set on the mixer (QuPac) and only use 5ghz, the 2.4 is shut off in the routers. Both give me great range and solid connections, I do feel maybe the Nighthawk has a slightly longer operating range.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.