Qu SB output to Blackmagic Atem

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu SB output to Blackmagic Atem

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Geoff Geoff 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sully
    Sully
    Participant

Hi all,

Looking for some help please!! We have got the Qu SB mixer and need to output to the blackmagic atem mini extreme for live streaming and video distribution. The blackmagic has a 3.5mm jack input. I want to output all the mics that go into the mixer!

Which is the best output to use? Is the Qu Sb capable of this???

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Get a couple of adaptor cables from either 2x jack to minijack or 2x xlr to minijack and you can use mix ouputs, main outputs or mtx output.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of Sully
    Sully
    Participant

Hi giga this is exactly what I have done

So I have ran 2 x xlr to mini jack and plugged directly into the Atem mini

I have got the sound working perfectly. However I am now having 1 issue.

On some mobile phones as I stream I do not get any sound. If I plug a headphone into said phone it will work. The phone does not have stereo speakers and therefore is not working.

I initially tried the mtx outputs with 6mm jacks but could not get sound to output via them. I then used the Main LR outputs via xlr and got great quality sound.

The issue I have is some phones there is no sound.

Any solution?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Maybe use a mono mix (1 – 4) ? At least investigate what kind of plug is needed for the non-cooperative phones. The adaptor cables you’re using now probably are trs aren’t they ?

Giga

Profile photo of Sully
    Sully
    Participant

The mono mixes outputs are being used for the amp to the speakers in the building.

We are using TRS 3.5mm connectors

It literally seems it is just mobile phones which don’t have “stereo” speakers.

Profile photo of Sully
    Sully
    Participant

For info

The blackmagic atem has 2 3.5mm unbalanced stereo inputs.

Profile photo of Sully
    Sully
    Participant

We also have 2 separate cables in the main LR
    So 2 x (1 XLR to mini jack)

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Sounds like classic phase cancellation when the stereo audio is summed to mono.

If you taking two XLR outputs to a single 3.5mm stereo unbalanced input only connect the
    + (pin 3) of the XLR to the 3.5mm, one connector + gets connected to the 3.5mm tip the other XLR + gets connected to the the 3.5mm ring.

You could use the matrix 1/4 inch outputs by using a dual mono 1/4 inch cable that adapts to a single 3.5mm TRS plug.

Set up the matrix mix as needed.

Actually if you do not use the headphone output jack you could use a 1/4 TRS stereo to 3.5mm TRS adapter cable to connect to the ATEM.
    If doing that don’t hit PAFL on any channel.

Profile photo of Sully
    Sully
    Participant

Thanks Mike

I’ve managed to get it to work thanks.

Side question.

How do I route all my inputs into the mix I am using for the atem. I am using the xlr mix outputs.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Think of it just like a monitor mix.

Select the mix that is feeding the ATEM that puts all the channel faders to the sends on
    fader mode, bring all the channel sends up to 60%
    To start with bring the spoken word inputs that are used for spoken word only up
    to about 70%.

Set that mix to post fade / post all.
    Apply some moderate compression to that mix.

Listen to the live stream and make changes to the mix send levels as needed.

If you have someone who will actively mix the live stream while someone else
    is mixing for the main system put the mix send into pre fade mode.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Make the Atem inputs mono? There is a soft-switch…

Profile photo of EdwinR
    EdwinR
    Participant

HI everyone. I am using the QU32 with the Atem Mini Pro and using a group as a mix to stream. Everything comes out great from the QU32, but for some reason in the live stream via youtube the sound seems to be holding back. Like a compressor is holding it back. But I am not using a compressor on the Atem and the signals on the QU is clear. I have replaced the cables, updated the Atem, done a factory reset to the Atem and no luck. The sound is bad. Any ideas?

SteffenR
    Participant

Maybe the processing on Youtube?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

HI everyone. I am using the QU32 with the Atem Mini Pro and using a group as a mix to stream. Everything comes out great from the QU32, but for some reason in the live stream via youtube the sound seems to be holding back. Like a compressor is holding it back. But I am not using a compressor on the Atem and the signals on the QU is clear. I have replaced the cables, updated the Atem, done a factory reset to the Atem and no luck. The sound is bad. Any ideas?

What output are you using on the QU32 to feed the ATEM.

One of the big issues people run into is the phase cancellation in trying to take balanced line output into an unbalanced stereo input.
    I’ve used my QU’s and set up many to feed ATEM by using the ALT OUT jacks and connecting to the ATEM with a dual 1/4 inch tip sleeve to 3.5mm cable.
    In the IO set up route your mix for live stream to the ALT OUT.

SteffenR
    Participant

But his description is more like a too hot output to the streaming.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.