QU SB Newbie. Help with midi & automation

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration QU SB Newbie. Help with midi & automation

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of djam djam 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of agustinvolpe
    agustinvolpe
    Participant

Hi all! I recently bought a QU SB and I would like to know the following if you could please answer these:
    – Are scenes stored on the iPad app only, or are they stored in the mixer itself?
    – Is automation via Midi over USB possible, hardwired to a Mac, without using an ipad?
    – If the above can be done, then: is it possible to record such automation instead of having to program all the midi messages in the DAW (I’m using Ableton)?

Thanks!

Agus

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Scenes are not stored in the iPad, only in the desk, though you can move them from there to a USB pen drive if you want.

I think the answers to your other questions are yes, but I don’t use the QU with a DAW, so better if somebody who does comes along!

agustinvolpe
    Participant

I was thinking of setting up a number of scenes, and switch between them via midi over usb with Ableton Live. is it that bad an idea?

Profile photo of pt.
    pt.
    Participant

It’s possible using NRPN calls – I’ve made an example using CTRLR as described in this thread.

Fader Recall from Logic

Attached are a screenshot and the example.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    agustinvolpe
    Participant

isn’t it possible to change scenes using Program Change messages?
    what is NRPN?

agustinvolpe
    Participant

in the midi protocol manual> “Qu uses Bank Select and Program Change messages for Scene recall. Only Bank 1 is used.”
    So, can I set up a number of scenes with the iPad, and then directly change between those scenes using normal program changes?
    What do I need to set NRPN for?

Profile photo of pt.
    pt.
    Participant

Take a look at the screendump; you’re able to control pretty much everything using NRPN. I’ve built my own control surface to have total recal from inside Logic Pro. The mix is stored within the project.

Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

Is it me or are there no contributors who will actually give an example of an external midi request to change a scene? I’m a new person to all this, and frankly I’m at a loss as to the lack of real applied info on this topic. The doc’s are detailed and confusing.

Would anyone please direct me to a quick solution?

External Program: OnSong -> Send Midi “Recall Scene” -> QU-16 (w/latest firmware)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.