Qu-SB + ME-1 + AR84?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-SB + ME-1 + AR84?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GaryW
    GaryW
    Participant

Hi all,
    I currently have a Qu-SB and a single ME-1.
    I’d like to add an AR84 expansion.

Can I daisy chain the AR84 from the ‘Link Out’ port on the ME-1?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Don’t think so. For my knowledge the monitor protocol differs from the dSnake protocol and I doubt the expander (output) of the ME1 provides the required return channel for the AR84. I’d probably go for the AB168.
    May try next week, if this helps.

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Pretty sure Andreas is correct. I think the AR84 is only designed to be an expansion to the AB168 or AR2412 and cannot be used in isolation.

Profile photo of GaryW
    GaryW
    Participant

Cheers guys.
    Reading carefully though the user guides, it now looks like the ‘expansion’ bus and the ME-1 bus cannot co-exist.
    The Qu-SB dSNAKE port is capable of doing either, which led me to assume i might be able to daisy chain an AR84 from an ME-1.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Well, dSnake “outputs” like sockets on the Qu consoles or Expander port on AB168 and AR2412 may operate in both modes, but when connecting a ME-1 the port surely uses the monitor protocol, which is unidirectional (no “talkback” or similar from ME-1 to desk). Even if the ME-1 could identify an AR84 connected to its expansion port (I doubt it checks that connection at all), it surely can not translate back the monitor protocol to dSnake protocol and magically add the required return channels.

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

While I agree that setup won’t work, it isn’t because they don’t coexist on the same cable, they do.
    But the AR84 is not designed with that in mind. However both the AR2412 and the AB168 have a monitor capable port on them so you can go from mixer to stage box to ME-1 with no problems.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Are you sure they coexist? Of course the dSnake protocol also carries the monitoring channels, but I’m pretty sure the “output” device will check if there is some monitoring equipment connected and use a simpler (send only, hub-aware) protocol instead. Maybe someone could sniff the packets…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

See page 20 – You can use both together with AR2412 or AB168.

Not sure about the AR84 though – it only has the one RJ45, so no way to use it anywhere but at he end of a chain. But would it work if you plugged QU > ME (>ME > ME) > AB84? I suspect not.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Is it just me that thinks that an ME-1 with a couple of inputs would be rather nice?

Problem is that the ME-1 is already fairly costly…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Ok, I’m picking my ME1 next days and do a trace. I’m pretty sure the Qu switches protocols depending on whichever unit-type is connected at its dSnake port. It either operates with dSnake or ME-1 protocol. Ever tried to connect AR2412+ME-1 using a switch to the dSnake ports? I did and only one will work, whichever is detected first from the Qu. Had the similar problem with needing more local inputs on my Qu-Pac and a spare AR84 but needed ME-1. No chance so far (plugging the AR84 to the expansion output of the ME-1 wasn’t an option, but I may try as well).

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Is it just me that thinks that an ME-1 with a couple of inputs would be rather nice?
    Problem is that the ME-1 is already fairly costly…

No, not just you. In fact, I can’t really think of a use for the ME where an input or two wouldn’t be useful. I assume it’s not something the present system would support.

I’d definitely be interested in a small, say, AB42 box (or even a box with no outputs at all) if several could be chained together, and provided they worked on POE. Maybe with combo input sockets for line & Hi Z stuff to plug into…..[/wish list]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.