QU-Pad persistent connection

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-Pad persistent connection

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stix Stix 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Criss
    Criss
    Participant

Hello!,

Anyone know if there’s a setting on the iPad or on the QU-Pad to prevent it disconnecting from the mixer after switching to another app?. It seems that after a couple of minutes of being in the background, QU-Pad disconnects from the mixer and you have to select it from the list and click “connect” to reestablish connection. I normally have to switch to Qu-Pad at the end of every song to mute the FX and talk to the crowd, but this issue is delaying this simple process a lot.

Thanks in advance for any tip!

Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

Why are you switching apps?
    Why not just set your iPad to never time out so the screen is always on?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I use my iPad for the same reason, I have it positioned on a bracket that is fastened to my mic stand. I can go FOH for a sound check and then I am good to go on stage, the app is open throughout the duration of our set/s. If you wish to go to another app during your set (Why?) it will disconnect.

Keep the app open and you will have no connection issues.

🙂

Profile photo of Criss
    Criss
    Participant

Hi!,

The iPad screen is always on, it never blocks. The reason I have to switch between apps is because I use OnSong, an app that displays lyrics, play sequences or backing tracks and send midi commands to my vocal pedalboard depending on the song.

That’s the app I have open the majority of the time during a show. I just need to switch to QU-Pad to mute the FX at the end of every song. I could send a MIDI command to the mixer to do so, but I’m already using the iPad to send commands to my pedalboard through USB, so I don’t have any available ports on it to connect to the mixer.

Thanks a lot for any help or tip.

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

According to the A&H Qu Mixer MIDI Protocol V1.5
    Active Sensing
    Qu supports MIDI Active Sensing over its TCP/IP Ethernet connection to detect connection status. Qu will send an initial Active Sense byte (FE) once an Ethernet connection is established, and then once every 300ms or so during any period of inactivity.

In other words, the mixer needs to see a message from the connected device every 1/3 of a second or it will disconnect.
    When you switch apps, QuPad is inactive and cannot send anything to the mixer. So, in a word, no. There is nothing you can do.

You could buy another iPad if you have the dough. That might be the easiest solution.

Profile photo of Criss
    Criss
    Participant

Thanks Mamerica, I guess I’ll post this in the future suggestion’s area :).

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

If you only need to mute FX and have other simple controls you might want to try the TCPIP app – works with iLive to send command strings wirelessly and should also work with QU. See topic here: https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/2012-04-04-103939

Cheers

Profile photo of Criss
    Criss
    Participant

Thank you Stix. Apparently the TCP/IP app is not available at the AppStore anymore :-(. I’ve been looking for it everywhere, don’t know if there’s a replacement for it. I’ll keep searching!

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Oh!

Keep an eye on http://www.zinmanco.com They (Michael Zinman?) are the App developer. Web site is currently down for scheduled maintainance but there is an email link if you want to ask directly.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.