Qu Pad or Mixing Station QU?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu Pad or Mixing Station QU?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Danr Danr 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Danr
    Danr
    Participant

Hi
    I have a QU-16 and an Apple Airport Express but don’t have an Ipad. I’m looking for the best app for mixing our band
    from FOH and was wondering how the Mixing Station QU app shapes up as Android tablets are cheaper the Ipads. I have it on my
    Android phone just to test it with the router and QU-16 and it works great but I can’t really get an idea from the small phone screen.

I don’t really need an Ipad other than for the Qu Pad app and unfortunately there’s no Qu Pad for Android.
    Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

The QU16 surface itself is pretty nice 😉

Having mixed on QuPad for a number of gigs, and then on two QuPads for a number of gigs…
    I use the surface.

However I am impressed by the Mixing Station ability to hook up to a physical interface – and that would swing it for me.
    I’d get an Android tablet – I’d ensure it supported USB OTG
    With the money I didn’t spend on an iPad I’d get a BCF2000, or an XTouch compact etc…
    Then I’d use those together at the FOH position with the QU on stage, OR I’d use them at FOH alongside the mixer – it gives you some extra “half layers” to use – which can be mixing different things (monitor mixes for instance).

If I was feeling paranoid then I might try and get an Android tablet with an ethernet port as well…

Profile photo of Danr
    Danr
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, mixing on the mixer itself is preferable but app & wifi I think will be cheaper than a A&H digital stage box.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Cheaper and logistically easier. I balked at getting an iPad but bit the bullet and bought one on sale. Now I’m a happy user. AirPlay is a nice bonus.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I like the stagebox as well though 😉

Ok, it was bought for a specific event (a two week hire where there was a 20 piece orchestra across the road from the theatre), but it does make general work easy.
    The hassle of rolling out a multicore is so much reduced when it’s a single cat5 cable!

Profile photo of Danr
    Danr
    Participant

Both arrangements would be nice depending on the gig as there’s not always room or it’s not convenient for a mixing desk out front.
    We don’t have a soundman but someone will be helping us out for some theatre gigs and ideally I’d like to get sorted with an Ipad/Android
    tablet.
    Looking at the Qu-Pad app screenshots, the EQ is available on the main fader screen which is useful but don’t think it is on the Mixing Station QU.
    Agree that AirPlay would be a nice feature.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I got an iPad on eBay, sold “damaged” with camera not working. Cost me not much over £50 and does everything I need for gigs.

Well worth watching the auction sites for slightly damaged tablets of all sorts.

Profile photo of Danr
    Danr
    Participant

Yes, have seen quite a few damaged or marked 2nd generation ones. I think these have AirPlay feature so worth considering.
    A lot cheaper than a new Air 1 or 2.
    Thanks.

Profile photo of Danr
    Danr
    Participant

Anybody using Mixing Station QU?
    Apple aside, the Samsung Tab A looks good value and I think I’d make more use of it being an Android user.
    Also thinking that maybe Qu-Pad will eventually become available for Android too.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I don’t see QuPad for Android coming any time soon – The mixing app is easily good enough…

Profile photo of Danr
    Danr
    Participant

That’s great, thanks.

Profile photo of Danr
    Danr
    Participant

Ended up getting a new iPad Air 1 after much consideration. I checked out the A&H Qu-Pad demo on youtube and thought best go with the official one.
    Mixing Station would have been fine but there’s not a lot of user feedback about and QU-Pad probably does more.
    Can also load my iPod filler music onto the iPad for wireless operation using Airplay which means one less thing to plug in.
    Thanks for the help.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.