Qu Pad: FX Control For Streaming

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu Pad: FX Control For Streaming

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of brassblaster brassblaster 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of brassblaster
    brassblaster
    Participant

Greetings, techs.

I was finally able to save up for an iPad Air 2 for our Qu-32, and today was the first day I was able to try it out running our streaming mix with it. I’m using mix 9-10 for streaming, with an FX inserted on that mix. When on the 32, I can adjust the dry/wet setting very easily, but, for the life of me, I could not figure out how to do the same via the Qu Pad. I had a friend getting his feet wet on the 32 today, so I kept reaching across to adjust the effect manually the way I normally do, but I shouldn’t have to do that, or do I?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

AFAIK, you cannot adjust FX parameters from the Qu-pad app. Try using return to channel for your FX instead of inserting. You can then use fader control on the iPad to control the FX level to your Mix.

That’s the only way I can see to do what you want. A bit tedious, but…

brassblaster
    Participant

Thanks so much for the suggestion, Dick. I’ll try that out Tuesday night. Great idea, and what I was trying to do this morning, controlling the reverb using the faders.

Thanks for your help!!

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I went back to the manual for “FX patching”, p. 51 or so in the latest guide. I couldn’t remember the exact terminology, but if you want the FX applied to a single channel, use “channel return”. If you want to apply the FX across a group of channels, select “mix return” as your routing option.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

You *can* adjust a lot of FX parameters from QuPad nowadays, although there are limits (you can’t choose, or patch, FX for instance).

I don’t recall the wet/dry being available, so it might just not be…

brassblaster
    Participant

I must be a few dozen sandwiches short of a picnic. I think I have it all figured out, and then all of my “knowledge” bites me on my behind.
    At practice last night, I added the reverb to the stream mix, after switching the FX from “insert” to “mix return” as suggested, using the fader to adjust the wet/dryness of it. All of a sudden, I get feedback out of the mains! How is that even possible? The streaming mix should have no connection to FOH. The routing shows that that FX only affects mix 9-10, but repeated attempts, same results.
    I’m banging my head against a brick wall here. I know I have a great deal to learn, and happy/eager to learn, but this has me stumped.
    Should I be using a matrix (another thing I know nothing about) for the stream mix instead?

The more I learn, the more I understand how little I know.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Is the fx return definitely patched out of the main?

brassblaster
    Participant

As far as I can tell, that particular FX is going to only mix 9-10. I’ll be quadruple checking this in the morning, but spent a couple of hours trying to troubleshoot it last night. I’ll have much more time to work on it tomorrow.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.