QU-PAD – display more than 8 channels?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions QU-PAD – display more than 8 channels?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dickiefunk
    dickiefunk
    Participant

Hi,

I’m using a QU-PAC mixer and am regularly mixing events running 18-20 channels of audio plus 6 stereo/mute groups. I will most likely be mixing more channels than this in the near future. Mixing 20+ channels and also have stereo/mute groups on a custom layer from the QU-PAD app can be challenging as it only displays 8 channels at a time and constantly scrolling through can become a little confusing and not a particularly quick workflow. Would it be possible in an update for the QU-PAD app to display 16+ channels at the same time?

On the SQ-PAD app, this can display 16 channels which is an improvement. I’m wondering if the area above the faders could also toggle between displaying processing used and a second bank of faders? Please could we have this feature on the QU-PAD app to better support the QU-24/32 and QU-PAC mixers for larger shows?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Maybe take a look the third party Mix Station QU Apps. I have never
    used them but they do offer different layout options.

For larger shows where I am not mixing while standing or on the move
    I’ll two iPads so I can increase the control surface size.

Profile photo of dickiefunk
    dickiefunk
    Participant

Thanks. Yes I have MixPad already which does allow up to 32 channels but the workflow isn’t as quick and intuitive. Also I really find the GUI much harder to read.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

The Mixing Station Pro app does leave a little to be desired with regard to the graphical interface when it comes to effects (FX). But you cannot beat the custom layer functionality of the app. Having the ability to choose which elements (inputs, groups, DCAs, matrix, FX sends/returns, etc) are placed where in any order and number is a huge benefit. It seems your biggest complaint is having to scroll through multiple pages of inputs because the stock app limits you to 8 faders per page. You do not have this limitation with the Mixing Station Pro app. In fact, they have an “auto” feature when it comes to displaying faders on layers. If one layer has 10 inputs and another layer has 16, the software is smart enough to display each one full screen instead of having a bunch of blank space on the 10 fader layer. Of course this choice is optional, so if you don’t want the software to automatically size things, you can turn it off.

The only downside to this program is the GUI for the FXs. It is very basic and makes using FX harder than the stock app. To get around this, I just use another tablet or my phone with the stock app with the FX page pulled up and use the stock app to make FC changes. But the actual mixing functionality (including changing gain, gates, EQ, dynamics, sends, etc) is so much easier on the Mixing Station Pro app that I will use it instead of the stock app.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The Mixing Station Pro app does leave a little to be desired with regard to the graphical interface when it comes to effects (FX). But you cannot beat the custom layer functionality of the app. Having the ability to choose which elements (inputs, groups, DCAs, matrix, FX sends/returns, etc) are placed where in any order and number is a huge benefit.

You can place any function in any order on a custom layer on the QU Pad App, you can drag them around to rearrange them, about like arranging fader positions on an SQ mixer layer.
    You are limited only viewing 8 fader slots without scrolling though.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

For our church streaming using mix 9/10, I’ve set up 3 custom layouts on the Qu-Pad app. Custom 1 reflects the layout of the board (you set this in the app settings), but I’ve set Custom 2 to be all our vocal inputs and Custom 3 for all our instruments, with the most important the first 8 on each layout. I rarely have to scroll the faders, just a quick flip between Custom 2 and Custom 3.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

For our church streaming using mix 9/10, I’ve set up 3 custom layouts on the Qu-Pad app. Custom 1 reflects the layout of the board (you set this in the app settings), but I’ve set Custom 2 to be all our vocal inputs and Custom 3 for all our instruments, with the most important the first 8 on each layout. I rarely have to scroll the faders, just a quick flip between Custom 2 and Custom 3.

I’ve used the Custom layer 1 to follow the board’s custom layer a few times where an event had lots of scenes and each scene had a different custom layer.

For most live music events I’ll have Custom 1 for vocals along with the DCA for FX returns and a DCA for any stage monitor wedge mixes. Having the wedge mixes on a DCA
    is handy for when people speak you can pull the wedge level down helping clean up the vocal sound, it really helps if the people getting up to speak are shy speakers and if hear their voice loud in the stage monitors they tend to back away from the mic or speak softer.

Layer 2 gets instruments along with the FX DCA.

Layer 3 sometimes drums other times QU Drive controls and level control, maybe any zone fill level controls, ect.
    Since I normally will have drums starting ch.1 going to the full input screen/layer will have the drum channels in the first 8 or so channels anyway.

If there is key lead instrument sometimes I’ll include that in the vocal layer as well.
    Same goes for a lead vocal in the instrument layer.

Layers arranged to keep the most important stuff in the first 8 fader slots.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

You can place any function in any order on a custom layer on the QU Pad App, you can drag them around to rearrange them, about like arranging fader positions on an SQ mixer layer.
    You are limited only viewing 8 fader slots without scrolling though.

You are not limited to 8 fader slots on the Mixing Station Pro app before having to scroll around. You can have as many as you can stand before the faders get too small to be useful. I used that app weekly when our church had an X32 and ran 20+ faders in multiple fader groups on my main screen using a 10″ tablet without any issues.

Mixing Station

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I should note that this picture represents an early design of mine. The layout evolved over time although the major elements stayed the same.

Here are the major elements:
    – the top left yellow buttons are to load various scenes saved on the board. I used different scenes for different parts of the service – mainly as a mute group for inputs and outputs.
    – the top right magenta buttons are quick links to FX racks and my tap button.
    – The M S L icons at the top right represented the mute settings for our Main, Sub, and Lobby speakers. Although the buttons were small (because I rarely needed to change them), I could use the buttons to mute these matrix outputs.
    – the top right side vertical icons are my layer buttons. It’s currently on “Most Used” but would pull up other custom layers if needed.
    – the bottom right side vertical icons are the “Sends of Fader” buttons. Only the “Leader” button is showing (because I rarely needed to use these), but that section is scrollable, so I have access to all of my Aux sends here.

I also eventually removed the signal level section from my fader bank. I found that I didn’t use it and it took up valuable screen space. By removing it, the fader section enlarged.

It isn’t apparent from this screen shot, but to get to the processing section of any channel, you simply click on that channel’s name. It will bring up the processing screen (gate, EQ (including high pass), compressor) for the channel.

The main point of this is to show how much customization is available with this program. Every element on this screen is customizable. You can literally build out the screen to have all the elements you want and none of the elements you don’t want. This is why this program is so much more useful than the OEM provided programs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.