Qu-pad : a DJ view

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Qu-pad : a DJ view

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lucky
    Lucky
    Participant

Would it be possible to add a special view on qu-pad to use qu models as a dj, simulating a DJ table : faders, crossfader, cue.
    That would allow me to use all the power of a Qu, equalizers on the in’s and out’s, equalizers, and all options with two computers feeding music.

(I’m owning a qu-16 mainly for stage use with live groups, but occasionnaly do DJ and don’t want to buy specific hardware for it)

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Interesting. Other than the cross fade, what would you want to add, and do you think the iPad control is positive enough to be useful for DJ for much more than swapping tracks?

Profile photo of Lucky
    Lucky
    Participant

I’m not a DJ, just do it sometimes for friends or install for my boys to do it. I would really appreciate this.
    I was wondering about buying a Nuo 3.0 table, but didn’t want to spend so much money.
    I’d like to find the same fonctions in a digital view on qu-pad.
    So I can’t tell what would DJ’s think about it and what they would like. (BPM view and adjustment, …)

Another reason is that my son would do it also (He’s 20). I’m not secure when all his friends turn around my qu-16 with glasses of beer…, and it’s not designed for swapping tracks, needs some place to stand. I’d prefer to take the qu-16 out of reach, and just put an I-pad between the two computers : safer and more practical.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

There should be many DJ apps for your iPad. You should do a search of the Apple store.

Personally I wouldn’t want any DJ functionality in my Qu Pad app. There are specific tools for that specific need that work well.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Many/most DJs I see these days mix in software on (one) computer, or, specify some very specific hardware to mix on.

That said, a crossfade between two DCAs, so that one goes down as the other goes up, may be a useful thing to have from time to time.

Profile photo of Lucky
    Lucky
    Participant

@airickess : I think that you didn’t understand what I mean.
    Here are more details.
    Let’s see what is a DJ mixer as XOne:43 :
    – 4 stéréo + Mic inputs and 3 stéréo outputs (main, booth, record), Headphone : already available on Qu-models
    – choose between Phono/Line : simple equalizer setting for RIAA
    – filters : equalizer again
    – fx sends and return
    – User interface : faders, crossfader, metering, cue, … all that could be on an I-Pad view

Imagine that all connections usually done on Xone:43 are made on Qu
    And top surface of the mixer would be replaced by Ipad

Not only a DJ Mixer available with no more hardware, but also all additive functions of the Qu available for the sound system :
    graphic equalizer on all outs, fx engines, RTA, … and also recording of the set with Qu-Drive

Such a development could present a Qu Model as a 3 in 1 tool : live sound, recording, DJ mixer

Profile photo of Lucky
    Lucky
    Participant

What made me think of it is the Qu-SB concept : hardware and process in a box, independant from user interface.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

I suspect that DJ requirements are very different from what Qu offers. As DJ mixers are in effect performance devices, they’d need to be a lot more responsive! Xone 43 is an analogue mixer. Only DB series are digital, and those have very limited remote capabilities. DJ afterthoughts on Qu would be very lacklustre for serious DJs. Just go out and buy that Xone 43.

Profile photo of Lucky
    Lucky
    Participant

Maybe I’m wrong : as I said, I’m not professionnal, as a number of buyers of Qu-16 or future Qu-SB.
    I just know that I would be interested in a view with a crossfader with assignable tracks, for personal use.
    But I could understand that Allen Heath would only develop features for professional use

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Crossfade poor mans style = 2 fingers. One going up and one going down. In my old radio/TV days that was 2 hands to turn one rotary knob up while turning the other down. Sorry. Just had to point that dinosaur technique out 😃

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

To be fair there is nothing stopping you coding your own (or paying someone to do so) – you might want to look at the existing android app.

I wonder what kind of delay phase reversal introduces 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.