QU PAC with AR84

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU PAC with AR84

This topic contains 43 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of debzdoodle debzdoodle 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of zfigz
    zfigz
    Participant

Yes, I know that the AR84 has 8 inputs.

If I were to change the patch of CH1 through CH8 to the defaults of Main 1 through Main 8, then I wouldn’t be able to use CH17-24 on the Qu to output those channels. Does that make sense?

The way I have it configured is correct in that I want Main 1-8 to go to CH17-24 on the Qu.

I just tried what you mentioned, but that didn’t help. Thanks for trying though.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

1. on your console select your target channel, in this case 17.

2. press “source” (function button at the lower left of the screen)

3. select your source: dSnake in, channel 1.

Repeat for each desired channel.

You should be good to go.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Darned glitchy edit function….

4. press “patch”. The I/O Patch “dSnake In” screen should appear.

5. select your desired channel (17) in the upper LH box(CH1)

6. use the +1 feature of the Fn button to continue patching dSnake channels 2-8 to console channels 18-24.

7. hit “apply”.

You should be properly patched now.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Disregard second post, steps 5-6. Make sure you hit “apply” when ready.

You can verify the patch on the preamp screen for each channel as well as on the channel processing screen.

Disclaimer: I’m working through this on my Qu-16 without access to the AR84 unit at the moment.

Dick Rees
    Participant

There does seem to be a quirky logic to all this along with no cogent instruction in the manual…and a worthless edit function here.

Good luck. You’ll get it to work. It just won’t (doesn’t) work the way you’d think.

Profile photo of zfigz
    zfigz
    Participant

Yup, I’ve done all of that so far. Fingers crossed that A&H has an answer.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Try doing a hard reset on the mixer. Make sure both units are on the same firmware.

Question:

Are both units new or are either of them used gear?

Profile photo of zfigz
    zfigz
    Participant

I bought the QU new several months back and haven’t had any issues since.

The AR84 is used. Trying to get in touch with seller, but no response yet.

From what I’ve read, the AR84 should automatically update its firmware based on whatever mixer is connected to it.

As for the hard reset, do you mean power cycling each unit? If so, I’ve tried that and no change.

Dick Rees
    Participant

You should have specified “used” in your original post. With used gear of unknown provenance all bets are off.

Question:

When you’ve set it up however you do, have you cycled through all the channels of the Qu-pac to see if there’s signal present on ANY of the channels? If not, switch them all to dSnake input and see if it’s just a routing problem or the like. Also see if you can send signal to the AR84 outputs.

I think it’s 50/50 between the used unit being bad and a routing fail. Maybe trying the outputs will help. If you’re able to pass signal to the outputs, then the ofds swing in favor of a routing error despite your best efforts.

Profile photo of zfigz
    zfigz
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve cycled through all possible inputs, but I haven’t tried the outs on it yet. I’ll try that, and if nothing there, wait to hear from A&H, though may just ask for a refund (the glory of buying/paying via eBay/PayPal).

Dick Rees
    Participant

There was an episode of the Big Bang Theory where Penny threw a guys ipod out the fourth floor window into the street where it was run over by a car. Rajesh enters the apartment with a mass of ipod parts in his hand saying,”Look! I found a free ipod on the street!”

Howard points out that it’s broken and asks what he’s going to do with it to which Rajesh replies, “What else? Sell it on Ebay as slightly used.”

Profile photo of zfigz
    zfigz
    Participant

Aye, I just checked the outs on it too and they’re a no go as well.

The guy was selling 3 units for $400 each. Still hoping there’s an easy fix, so I’ll report back on what A&H says.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Seller looks legit. Have you done any testing to make certain your cables are good for the intended purpose?

Profile photo of zfigz
    zfigz
    Participant

yup, test inputs/outputs with other known working cables, and still, nothing.

just tried a hard rest (hold reset+setup on boot), and still, nothing.

I think it’s time to file a return :-/

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I wonder,,,
    if you are using a crossover cat 5 cable and would it allow a succesful D snake (yellow LED status lights)
    but not allow the unit to pass audio?

hmmm, I don’t have a crossover cable here or I would try it.

NOTE: to eliminate any confusion here,,, a crossover cat 5 cable is NOT what should be used.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.