Qu-Pac drops all outputs

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Pac drops all outputs

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Audio 808 Audio 808 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Tonight, during a show, I lost main L & R and all aux mixes. I still had active metering on everything, even mains, just no audio. One minute we’re playing, then silence. Had to turn off the Qu-Pac for a minute, then everything came back. Any ideas on this or has this happened to anyone else?

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Are you running the outputs directly out of the Qu-Pac or are you using an extender such as an AB168 or AR2412 connected to your outputs?

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

I’m not using any extenders, just powered monitors (EV ZXA1’s) and powered mains (QSC K10’s). I did another show today (different venue) without issue. I’m hoping it was a power glitch, but was curious if this kind of dropout has occurred to others. Maybe I should look into better power line conditioning.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

I’m hoping it was a power glitch

Do you run a UPS (battery backup) on your Qu-Pac? I make it a habit to run one on any digital mixing console that I use, and I have had far fewer problems with them, than without.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

I have not been using a UPS on my Qu-Pac, but that is about to change. Any recommendations?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

The only device that will give you the protection needed is a double conversion in-line unit. This type not only provides power in case of loss or disconnect but is always running through the battery and inverter such that the voltage is absolutely constant.

It is the constant voltage you seek. Everything else is gravy.

Such units are expensive new but are readily available used when server farms cycle their inventory. Used price is about 1/10th of new, but used requires purchase of new batteries. These can be had for under $100.00, so total cost should run less than $300.00 for a piece which cost around $1300.00 new.

You still have to deal with the weight, though.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

mains and all monitors went dead at the same exact moment?

That is just completely weird and scary,
    did anything else on the stage or in the facility loose power at the same time?
    By any chance was the Qu-Pac powered by the same AC circuit as the mains and monitors?

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

No audio on mains and monitors but all of the metering was still active. Everything was powered off of one multi drop cord and everything went silent at the same time. I’ve worked this bar/pub many many times, plugging into the same outlet, without issue, but it is a bar/pub/restaurant and with that comes a lot of hvac, refrigeration, etc. Maybe I’ve just been lucky up to this point. I do have a Tripp-lite rack-mount power filter for what it’s worth, but that’s not too much IMHO. I have a public television recording coming up this Friday and I have to say I’m a little nervous.

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

@robertlindsey Hi Robert, sorry to hear you had this trouble. Can you test the Qu-Pac before your next gig?
    I suggest running some audio through it and soak testing for as long as possible. Were you using phantom power on any channels during the show? If so, it might be worth loading a couple of channels with DI boxes and switching on +48v for the test.
    If it does happen again, and you still have power but no audio check the blue Power LED on the back of the mixer and make a note if it is lit or not. This is part of a circuit which indicates if the PSU is working correctly.
    In any case, if it does happen again, please raise a support ticket with our support team at https://support.allen-heath.com/
    Thanks. Harry.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Thanks Harry. I’ve already had another gig on a hot Sunday afternoon. No issues except the iPhone (AirPlay connected) got a little too much sun and shut down. Scared me for about 30 seconds before I figured it out. I’ll keep an eye on the Qu-blue power light. I’m going to check the power where I had the problem with my new Extech CT70 meter at my next opportunity. https://www.extech.com/display/?id=14409

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Another successful show tonight. Recorded and provided live sound for our local public television WTVP with the Qu-Pac. Best sounding room ever! Studios are such fun.

Profile photo of Audio 808
    Audio 808
    Participant

Hi guys. Yesterday while doing an event using the Qu pac I lost all signal to my FOH and 4 of my IEM. It was just like @robert experience. All lines and levels to the output was showing my no audio was coming out my speakers. Very stressful and I had to suspen the event for 30min, after switching the mixer off for 30min and then restarting it worked and just managed to finish the event. While playing background music after it died again. This is the first time I ever experienced this with my Qu pac. I have contacted a local agent in my area who also wasn’t sure what this could be and just asked that I update the software. He said it couldn’t be an internal problem cause the mixer worked after switching it off for sometime. I have just did the firmware update to V1.97 and everything seems to be back to normal. Do you guys have any suggestions on what could be the problem or who can I contact. Thank you

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.