QU PA Speaker Matchup

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU PA Speaker Matchup

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alrod Alrod 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

I have had my QU-16 for about a month now. Loving it more everyday! As far as speakers go, I currently own 2 Yorkville NX55p main’s along with 1 NX720s sub. Monitoring is via in-ears. I typically play in front of 50 – 300 people mostly indoors. Sometimes the sets are acoustic sets, and sometimes they involve drums, bass, keyboards, etc. The style of music can be anything from Indie, Blues, Rock, to Smooth Jazz. I am now building backing tracks utilizing the QU’s ability to play back 18 pre-recorded tracks (What an awesome feature!). In all cases, there are live vocals (lead and backing).

The Yorkville’s are ok, but I would like to take the sound quality up a notch. Even in the best of rooms, I don’t feel that I am getting the best articulation/separation between instruments. It just sounds “ok”. I want “great”. As a studio owner I feel I know my way around EQ, compressors, etc. So I think I am already getting the best out of the Yorkville’s. Again they are not bad, I just want better.

I would like to hear opinions on good high end speaker matches for the QU-16. I prefer Active speakers for the convenience factor. Portability is something I am also keen on. As far as budget goes, I will keep it open. What are the “best” available at any cost, and what are the best available suited for the QU-16 level of mixer. I am guessing at some point there are diminishing returns. Looking forward to your opinions.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I suggest QSC K12 and K Subs or KLA12 with K Sub or KW181 Subs. Sound great.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

I would agree with GCumbee with one change – I would put the QSC KW121 at the top of that list. The W in the name means that the boxes are wooden. It makes them heavier but also makes them sound better than the K12s (not that the K12s are shabby). The KW153 (powered three-way speaker with wooden enclosure) is also a good choice – definitely a musical box that is extremely efficient and can easily handle the crowd sizes you described and will work well for any musical genre.
    I would also look at the offerings from RCF. I’ve only had the pleasure of using the RCF TT25 speakers (small format) but they sound terrific. If any shop in my area had any other offerings from RCF I would rent them just to hear how they sound. If the TT25 is any indication, they would sound great.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I’m running a pair of LD Maui28 with an additional pair of subs (a total of four) for similar events and music and I just love them. They’re plain flat in any room (I’ve encountered so far) at any location and since they produce a cylindric wave I rarely have problems with room resonances, FOH feedback and similar.
    Compared to the “original” (Bose L1) they sound somewhat more musical to me, something like the difference between a Japanese and a British desk… 😉
    However they also have some shortages when used as a PA. Since the line array is fitted to the subwoofer you’re somewhat limited in your setup. Raising the array is simple with the additional subs placed below. But if they’re placed upon the stage, you’re probably missing the option to tilt them down into the audience. Placing some stiff rubber beneath the rear feet help a little.
    And since that’s an array system, they need some distance (2-3m/6-10ft) to the audience to build up volume (for the same reason they can be used for local monitoring without terrifying your ears)
    Similar systems are available from other vendors in various sizes.
    If you’re looking for something portable and easy-to-setup (= little EQ, if at all) you may want to give them a try.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

“I suggest QSC K12 and K Subs or KLA12 with K Sub or KW181 Subs. Sound great.”

I appreciate the QSC suggestions. Based on my experience however, the QSC brand is on the same level as the Yorkville’s. They just have different voicings. The reason I chose the Yorks over the QSC was for the “warmth”. The QSC’s tend to be a tad bright. Not overly by any means (like Mackie), and just a little sterile for my liking. So what would be a better speaker than ones in this class? Please note, that I am not knocking the QSC brand. They are just not what I would consider an upgrade from what I already have.

Profile photo of JD
    JD
    Participant

Another vote for RCF … but in general as I’n not sure how to ‘match’ and speaker to a given board.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

“Another vote for RCF … but in general as I’n not sure how to ‘match’ and speaker to a given board.”

Perhaps a bad choice of words on my part. By “Matching”, what I mean is, at the level of mixer that the QU-16 is what speakers are worth investing in? For example in recording studio’s purchasing high-end gear is a total waste if your monitoring system cannot translate the subtle and not so subtle differences that the gear can add to the system. Another way of looking at it is; would high-end speakers show the deficiencies of the QU’s preamps, EQ, comp, and effects? I hope that makes sense.

That being said, in regard to the RCF’s, is there a particular series/model that you would recommend? Two mains and a sub that once plugged in would say “Now that sound quality is noticeably better than my Yorkville NX55p’s and NX720p!” The PCQ K-series did not do that for me.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

My last post should have read “The QSC K-series did not do that for me.” Stupid spell check!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Don’t understand that. K series are really nice speakers. Maybe I need to hear something better in that price range.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

“Don’t understand that. K series are really nice speakers. Maybe I need to hear something better in that price range.”

I am not saying that they aren’t nice. In addition to the comments I have made about them, they just don’t give me more than what I already have in terms of quality. The QSC K-series would be more of a lateral move as opposed to a step up. I am willing to pay more for better sound quality so it’s not about staying in that price range. The budget is open at this point. That is not to say that I am looking for the most expensive speakers either. Experience has taught me that more expensive doesn’t always equal better.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Fulcrum Acoustic, Meyer or Danley depending on your needs. All head and shoulders above the JBL, EV and QSC stuff.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Within the same price range as the QSC stuff, but much better in my opinion, are the Yamaha DSR series. Meyer, Danley, etc. are all great but substantially more.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Within the same price range as the QSC stuff, but much better in my opinion, are the Yamaha DSR series. Meyer, Danley, etc. are all great but substantially more.

The OP clearly stated “high end” gear to get a substantial improvement, thus my recommendation of some high end speakers from FA, Meyer and Danley. While the DSR’s are nice, they are nowhere near ” high end”.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

“The OP clearly stated “high end” gear to get a substantial improvement, thus my recommendation of some high end speakers from FA, Meyer and Danley. While the DSR’s are nice, they are nowhere near ” high end”.”

Mr. Rees is correct, I am looking for speakers that are a substantial improvement over my Yorkvilles. I have never heard or used any of the RCF’s, but to me the Yorkvilles are in the same class as the QSC and Yamaha models listed. They all sound a bit different, but I wouldn’t consider them “high-end” in terms of sound quality. It’s like the average Chevy vs Ford sedan, but I want at least a BMW 3-series. As a side note, I really do not like the Bose Line Array type systems. They sound a bit artificial and sterile. I don’t mean to offend anyone, but they actually hurt my ears. Ear fatigue sets in pretty fast for me when I hear them. I have been to several shows where they were being used. I also tried the system out at a local Guitar Center. Not impressed in the least. If there are better systems than the ones listed above for less money, I would like to hear about those as well, but I really don’t think they exist.

Dick thanks for your suggestions. Do you have hands on experience with a particular model(s) of the brands you listed? In terms of size and portability, I would want something close to what I own today. I will do my research but was hoping you could point me in the right direction as far as the portability dept. goes.

Dick Rees
    Participant

The FA’s are highly recommended by Jason Raboin, Joan Baez’ long-time soundman and he carries them on the road often. The Meyers are close to an industry standard for hi-fidelity PA. As for Danley, I would recommend you contact them directly and discuss your needs with them. They would have selections with ultra high-fidelity with higher output over the coverage area compared to the others.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.