QU-mixer mix out to sampler?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-mixer mix out to sampler?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi.
    I want to run stereomix 5-6 to my Octatrack sampler which have unbalanced A+B inputs.
    Which cables should I use? Female XLR on the qu end of course, but on the other end are 6.3mm line input. Can I just use an adapter? Please guide me.

Before I ran 2trk out to the octatrack but I would like to control what is being sent to the sampler. Thats why I camt to think of the mix outs but have never used them before.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

According to The Manual, chapter “4.2 Local Output Connections” section “Group, Mix, Matrix outputs” on page 14:

If you are connecting to ‘unbalanced’ equipment then make sure the XLR pin 3 (signal cold) is linked to pin 1 (signal ground).

Not quite sure which type of balancing circuit is used for the Qu outputs. If they are Servo- or Transformer-balanced, a short between Ring and Shield is required to get a proper signal. If the TRS inputs of your Octarack do not short Ring and Shield of a standard XLR-to-SymmetricTRS cable, you may need to solder your own.

…or think about using a reverse DI box.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

EbTech HE-2-XLR is a handy tool to have.

https://www.ebtechaudio.com/hedes.html

Accepts either XLR or 1/4″ (TRS or TS) inputs and has the same options on the output side. Useful for transformer isolation and balanced>unbalanced or unbalanced>balanced connectivity. Eliminates the need for special cabling…which always seems to get lost or misplaced.

Dick Rees
    Participant
    Dick Rees
    Participant

It may be possible to use the USB input on your device and feed from the USB B port on the Qu.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi Dick. I am afraid that would be totally impossible in this case by both software and hardware reasons.
    My setup is all inputs stream to Ableton. Ableton output streams to channel 31/32. 31/32 goes to speakers via alt out and today that same output goes to ste sampler via 2 trk out.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Please note that TRS connectors on Qu are balanced as well. Ensure to use mono TS connetors when connecting unbalanced gear (for the same reasons as for XLR).

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

There are inexpensive adapters available for this purpose. Some are “direct connection” while others use a transformer. The transformer type is typically used when connecting a line-level unbalanced source to a microphone XLR input. Search Amazon or Google for “XLR to quarter inch adapter” or “XLR to quarter inch transformer adapter.” Radioshack also carries these.

Profile photo of dcarmich
    dcarmich
    Participant

I’m considering a Qu for my electronic music studio, and would an outboard analog processor like the Elektron Analog Heat (https://www.elektron.se/products/analog-heat/) be interfaced the same way with a Ebtech HE-2-XLR or “reverse DI” through the mix outputs and return it to a channel?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

The tech specs of the Analog Heat (page 27) say, they have balanced inputs and outputs, so a “standard” XLR-to-TRS cable should work.
    The Octarack sampler (page 146) seem to have balanced outputs only, inputs are specified as unbalanced.
    …same company, btw.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.