qu mixer and IEM

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions qu mixer and IEM

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

My understanding is the qu mixers are not compatible with aviom IEMs. Am I correct in this? Also if they are not Is there a way to make them work or is the AH IEMs the only Option? Question 3, If AH IEMs are what we have to get what does a typical setup cost? let’s say 6 units.

thanks for your time

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

also can you use body pack for wireless IEM with the ME1s if so which ones work with the ME1s?

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

One last question would you be able to use something like this https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-300-2IEM–ear-Monitoring–Range/dp/B003ZVSE5O/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1445212035&sr=1-2&keywords=sennheiser+wireless+in+ear+monitor+system

or would you still need the ME1 system and would this be compatible with it if it was needed.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Two ways to use IEMs

– Use the existing Mix outputs and a headphone amp – which could be a wireless IEM transmitter.
    The musicians can use the QuYou app to control their mix, and the engineer can still access and help them.

– Use a personal monitoring system.
    The stage boxes are Aviom compatible, or use the A&H ME-1.
    The ME-1 is about £500/seat IIRC, and benefits from a PoE switch.
    The engineer can’t help individuals very easily in this case – To use wireless IEMs with this would simply use the line out into the wireless transmitter.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

@bob: sure that aviom compatible boxes work with the Qu? Thought they’re supported by GLD only.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Erm – thought the AR boxes were labelled as compatible in the QU manual – never tried it since I don’t have them…

Just reskimmed the manual – you’re right. No mention of Aviom, so scratch that from my post above – ME-1 is still a good solution, but suffers (IMHO) from being musician control only (i.e. no way for an engineer to assist).

For most events I end up running a mix of wedges and wired in-ears, with a single UHF IEM for my PAFL connection…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

That Aviom phrase is in the AR manual: “With a GLD system, the port is also compatible with AviomTM A-16 personal mixers.”.
    I remember some statement in the GLD manual that the monitor port can be switched from ME to Aviom mode, the current GLD manual is somewhat less detailed and only notes “Monitor Port = ME-1 mode” as common setting for some show templates.

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

So I could just use those sennheisers and get 3 transmitters each running 2 packs and just use the mix sends on the board or the snake correct?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

sure, its simple analog connection.

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

it’s just if we want to use personal Mixing units like the Avioms or ME 1s, I would have to use ME1s since the qu mixer doesn’t support avioms even though the ar2412 Dsnake does

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If your musicians are on IEMs anyway, they easily can do personal mixing with their smartphones using QuYou or the Android app (directly controlling their individual mix on the Qu). You do not necessarily need cabled ME1s or Avioms for that, just a WiFi router and a couple of smartphones.

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

We are not on IEMs yet we are looking at going that route in within the next year so was trying to find the best way preferably cheapest route without buying cheap (off brand iems) equipment. So would getting the me1s and an me-u and then buying IEMs be cheaper then say just buying the sennheisers I posted. Just for reference we are using an ar2412 with a qu24 mixer. Just trying to pass along info to our pastor so when the time comes we can get what we need. I welcome any suggestions we run on the high end 6 people on stage.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The differences:
    – ME-1 can support many more musicians
    – Mix -> Headphone amp -> bodypack OR Mix -> UHF transmitter -> Wireless IEM

I support 7 monitor mixes on a QU16, 4 in ear (only one of which runs stereo) and 3 on wedges – this is MUCH cheaper than even a single ME-1 (~£100 for the multi channel headphone amp and £35 each for a bodypack with volume control, add a few cables and a standard WiFi access point/router)
    The musicians can control their in ear mixes from QuYou, but I don’t let the wedge guys do that.
    I can help those on in ears if they end up breaking their mix horribly.

If you are looking at up to 6 people then that is the easiest and cheapest way to do it. I’d stay wired if you can, they can drop the cable from the bodypack to walk around.

I also use a UHF IEM for my own listening, but that’s so I can wander around with the iPad…

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

My thought was get 3 of the sennheisers I posted, that would give me 6 packs for musicians and vocals and since we don’t run stereo anyway I can just run them mono.

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

That runs 3900 USD or 2521 gbp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.