QU in the studio

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration QU in the studio

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nyquist Nyquist 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Clardy Sound
    Clardy Sound
    Participant

I’m considering purchasing the QU-24 for my small project studio. I’m still unclear about a few things, if someone can help clear this up for me. Here is an ideal scenario. If this is possible, let me know. Thanks!

1. Say I want to be able to track an acoustic guitar and bass into Cubase to start the project, then I want to track the vocals separately while the singer monitors the guitar and bass mix from a headphone amp that is sent a 2 aux sends (a stereo mix). The QU24 will be in the same room as I am tracking, so I will be monitoring the mix from the board’s main headphone out. Am I going to be able to route the tracks recorded into Cubase in stereo to the aux sends for the singer to hear with very low latency? Then the headphones will go to the drummer to track their part. I want to make sure there aren’t any latency issues when tracking individually and building the mix as we go. I also want to be able to send a metronome click track through the headphones when necessary. Will this board do what I need? I want to make sure I don’t overlook any limitations before I purchase soon.

2. I also want to use virtual instruments in Cubase. Will the instrument levels be accessible on the motorized faders?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I can not hear easily the latency in this desk.
    Especially after using the GSR24M where I can and is a real studio desk designed for studio.
    However there are variables there as well.

I don’t know Cubase however on a channel for channel tracking this desk is amazing!
    Surely within Cubase there must be a click track you can assign to ?? to where? good question.

I have tried the ME-1 and you can build a headphone mix in there and I had thoughts about using mulitple ME-1 for studio scenario
    To get a click track into ME-1 you would have to use a channel I suspect?
    Maybe you can bring a click track back into an ST3? and from memory that can be seen by the ME-1
    I know you didn’t talk about using the ME-1 but long term… to have 3 or 4 of those around a studio would be amazing. A new way of thinking? for me that is

My 2 cents worth.
    I use Reaper

cheers

Profile photo of Pierrot
    Pierrot
    Participant

Yes, on all counts, I would say.
    The latency would mostly depend on what your Mac is capable of. 64 – 128 samples will be fine.
    You can send all manner of mixes anywhere so that won’t be a problem. Auxes are “mix outs” on this board.
    The customisable layer of faders is available for HUI or Mackie control of daw faders, mutes, solos, selects.

Profile photo of Dwight
    Dwight
    Participant

I use cubase in my studio but do all of the monitoring through my Qu-16 works great and you can save your presets. The midi control works great on the faders, I have not tested it on setting it for other controls on the board. I have not gotten the latency figured out for monitoring internally in cubase and it is unusable at this point for me. Just too weird, but that may be my error. So monitoring the track back through cubase with an effect on may not be what is desired. If you figure it out let me Know!!
    The only draw back to my method is the tone going into Cubase is pre eq/ compression if you use it. so I end up having to eq twice, one for monitoring and then when it is tracked in Cubase even to listen back. I am missing the ability to sweeten tone going into cubase but they tell me that will be added on a future update. I have a avalon 737 channel strip that I use for single tracking.

The ME-1 I think would be a very useful tool in the studio as well as live!!

Dwight

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Can you not set an EQ within your software to tweak the sound going to track?
    I know I preach Reaper here a bit, however you can do that within Reaper.
    They call it destructive audio however there is a place for everything.
    TheGSR24M cxan track after EQ going to track

However if you have it from the Powers AT Be that this will be available Later on then FABULOUS
    I can wait Yeh! Bring that feature on!
    Wow and to think you can save the EQ settings in the desk!

cheers
    dave NZ

Profile photo of Dwight
    Dwight
    Participant

Ya you I can but I am experiencing too much latency to monitor at the same time. I will have to experiment a little more! Might e my computer. I am not saying it can’t be done but I haven’t had it work properly as of yet.

So Dave in reaper you can eq and such to the track you are recording and then monitor it going to print with no latency?

I would like that!!

Cheers

Dwight

Profile photo of Pyeman
    Pyeman
    Participant

I use my QU16 all the time to record. I can track 16 mono inputs and tell my software to play back all tracks to a stereo channel on the QU16. I then overdub what ever I want by creating a new track in the software and selecting the correct input on the qu16.
    To get round the latency issue -I mute the track I’m recording on to and direct monitor from the QU16 via the headphone out

Profile photo of Dwight
    Dwight
    Participant

Yes that is what I do as well, but I end up having to eq the tracks in the Qu-16 for monitoring then as well after recording them, eq them in cubase to listen back to the recorded tracks for adding other tracks while tracking. I can not use anything in my DAW in the way in destructive or non destructive without some major latency issues or use any eq on the Qu-16 (in my case) on the way into my daw.

Regarding the original post from my perspective yes you can do have no latency issues if you are direct monitoring from the q-16 (Which works fantastic) but if you are trying to use effects or eq on a track as it is being recorded there will be latency issues. In my case I have not been able to get the latency low enough to use as of yet.

Clardy Sound
    Participant

I’ve been trying to get the qu24 to record in Cubase 5 all day. I have successfully set up the custom layer to control midi, but I can’t get any tracks into Cubase. Can someone help me get set up? I’ve set up the VST connections as 24 mono inputs all routed correctly. On the QU24 under Setup/USB Audio I have each channel set to its corresponding channel. I’m not seeing any meters moving at all in Cubase though. Any ideas?

Profile photo of Dwight
    Dwight
    Participant

I believe you need to set them the channel to normal (not usb or qu drive from them to be seen in the daw.) Play back has to be set to USB (I put it into 17-18) Then make sure you are also selecting the desired input (from your mixer) to the channel you wish to record on. Hope this helps!!

Sorry I don’t have my board or manual in front of me (going from memory)

Dwight

Clardy Sound
    Participant

I’ve got each channel set to local. Usb set to stream over usb B. I was able to get audio to come through in Reaper, but not cubase. Another strange thing in cubase is if I hit record, then stop the recording the wav deletes automatically from the timeline. No signal records though. I’ve been using Cubase for many years with a firepod with no problems. I’m about to reinstall and try on a different computer. I’m also unclear on routing cubase outputs to my studio monitors, that are connected to he main outs on the board, if anyone can help explain this.

Clardy Sound
    Participant

I figured it out. I ran an update for Cubase and everything started working.

Profile photo of Dwight
    Dwight
    Participant

great nice to know there is another cubase user out there with the Qu!!

Cheers

Dwight

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

QU as a DAW SIDE CAR
    for those that are interested
    It can all just get brain fry stuff… multiple desks
    I have been using GSR24M in a manual mode #1 rather than the Reaper mode #5.
    Bit of a pain as I had to build my own templates as the Reaper Mode in my MAC Book Pro just was temperamental and I really wanted better fader control. But I had “flying faders erratically” so I gave that idea away.
    I run dual monitors off the USB ports through some Hubs.
    And thought… I just gotta get this Reaper mode thing happening.
    So yesterday I bravely went and updated all the firmware and drivers.
    Unfortunately The Reaper mode locks in the desks midi knobs which is good and not so good.
    The 12 midi knobs are locked into the channel pans! (and I didn’t want to brain fry my head with Bomes software)
    I used to have these 12 midi knobs setup to drive the 6 channels of effects and various other functions.

‘DING’ an idea…. na… I was thinking about getting a USB’cough’ Behringer BCF2000 na I just just couldn’t bring myself to..

HEY… what about one of those QUs’?
    just as a midi fader mover? …. just like a cough Behringer
    I thought… would that work?
    after a few hours of experimenting KAPOWski!
    it works… unbelievable!
    In fact it got better… the QU sits next to the GSR24M and controls the faders AND SOLOs and MUTES in Reaper…

dave NZ

Profile photo of Nyquist
    Nyquist
    Participant

I use my QU24 with Cubase 5. Working perfectly. Overdubs are super easy. Just point the cubase channel at whatever QU channel your mic is plugged into. Go to the Cubase mixer and turn of the little Monitor speaker button (above record button) and monitor the vocal take from the QU channel that’s going to the box.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.