QU-Drive USB port degrading???

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU-Drive USB port degrading???

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of deepandrare
    deepandrare
    Participant

Since i used a SanDisk Extreme 64gb USB3.0 succesfully over a year now, i noticed that the stick is not recognized anymore. multiple reformats (yes, on a pc, yes, fat-32) later and attempts to reformat no the desk, hard resets and backups the stick that has worked for over 1,5 years now just is not recognized anymore.

the formatting process gets started, shows no bar movement and is stuck immediately. either the stick is not recognized on plugging in (LED blinks orange, then turns off) or it is still recognized after plugging off (orange LED stays on, even when no stick is present)

My main idea is that allen&heath uses a faulty USB interface on board that starts to malfunction due to component ageing and cheap chinese manufactureing – or i m going crazy
    because the very stick in your compatibility list – WHICH WORKS ON MY PC – is not recognized anymore, cannot be formatted anymore and has no visible content to the desk under any circumstances

so should i now invest in a SSD, knowing that there is a whacky USB interface in the board which might or might not recognize another 100 euro investment?
    can ALLEN&HEATH specify the USB internal so we can at least order replacements on alibaba once the warranty is void? how does one deal with this?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Do you/have you used that stick for any other uses that recording on the mixer and then transfering files to the computer or loading files on to it for playback?

Do you have any other USB sticks to try or that you have used in the mixer?

Get another USB stick to try before going crazy on the mixer.

The two USB sticks I use are the San Disk Extreme like yours and the Kingston Data Traveler series. So far all of the Data Traveler models I have tried have worked.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Do you/have you used that stick for any other uses that recording on the mixer and then transfering files to the computer or loading files on to it for playback

This can be the crux of the matter. It’s WAY too easy to pick up something bad on USB media from an infected or compromised device. I don’t accept random sticks for playback when doing festival sound without scanning it first to weed out viruses, trojans, etc.

All my sticks are SINGLE PURPOSE and have been functioning to spec for years.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

All my sticks are SINGLE PURPOSE and have been functioning to spec for years.

Same here!

deepandrare
    Participant

absolutely never used the stick for anything but recording and replay on the mixer, it was either permanently stuck in the mixers qu-drive port or used to transfer files to the PC using a renkforce USB hub for fx editing and rerouting into them mixer via live.

i also suspect that the USB interface might have power issues over time, degradation of parts usually makes running power into a device problematic which anyone who has used a cheap USB-hub or underspec´d motherboard components running multiple USB devices might have experienced. i guess my best guess will be to try an external USB 2.0 hd if i find one and run it with extra power supply.

a trojan or virus that has hogged the USB device management of my PC might be very realistic. and might explain some missing file space allocation that my stick does not show, but which can also be accredited due to normal decay of a drive. then there were multiple holes in the intel architecture that might allow this to happen which we all can´t really defend against. “SPECTRE/MELTDOWN”. so you can guess that i m bamboozled especially after having used a stick with the most prominent reviews here.

i d really love for allen & heath to code their own usb-stick formatting tool. in the meantime i m looking at either buying a stick or doing a full backup – erase – reinstall with 500 gigs of samples and a lifetime of plugins purchased to get that bug of my system which might affect my USB component… who knows.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Can you confirm you’ve tried any other usb pen at all?

deepandrare
    Participant

i have tried the seagate 2tb backup slim which is supposed to work with the device and as this one does not recognize or format on the desk – usb gets hung up – i assume it is the usb port or firmware
    a pendrive virus is improbable, as most of the devices i use are not on the list of badusb compatible devices. which does not say much but makes an improbable cause even less probable

Profile photo of skippy
    skippy
    Participant

On my QU-SB, I eventually ordered a new USB jack and installed it. This fixed a non-functioning USB port. It had definitely degraded but in my case, it was a physical problem. I had noticed that stick would be recognized if I pushed on it a bit in a certain direction. That trick eventually stopped working so I changed the USB jack.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

My Samsung T5 SSD that I use for performing multitrack recording is also used for the purpose of playing back downloaded films from my iMac via my PS4. Been doing this for quite sometime without any problems occurring. Must be honest though, I don’t use the USB function for multitrack on either my QU-16 and/or QU-SB all that often and mainly when I have been hired to provide PA etc will I use this function. If for my own band I don’t multitract at all as I have a small USB inserted all the time for the purpose of play-on and the QU can’t record and playback at the same time.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

Memory sticks can fail

Playing swapsies with the port and stick can cause problems

The QH usb interface has limitations as you can read about in the stickied threads about usb devices

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.