qu drive stopped working

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting qu drive stopped working

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jonnyweston jonnyweston 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Petr
    Petr
    Participant

Hi. I purchased qu 16 recently and as manual recommends one of first steps was updating to latest firmware. I had 1.6 version originally. So I bought a usb flash 16GB and pugged in mixer. The yellow indicator was flashing and drive was detected. So as next step I formatted it by mixer, unplugged from mixer, plugged to my mac, uploaded latest firmware to it, plugged back to mixer. New firmware was correctly detected and updated. I removed the usb stick from mixer and thought all is fine.

After 2 days I wanted to connect WD My Passport Ultra 500GB which I purchased for multitrack recording. I realized that ater plugging the disk in there is no yellow led indication of any activity, also disk led doesn’t light as if it has no power. The disk works perfect with computer, but not mixer.

When I saw WD My Passport doesn’t work, I wanted to try with the stick that worked for firmware update, but now it is not working either. No indication of activity when plugged in as it worked before. No disk detected. I think something had to go wrong after firmware update or it is just hardware failure and I’ll have to apply warranty.

UPDATE: Looks like also usb connection to mac is broken as qu 16 is no more detected as audio interface. Mixer alone works, qu pad app also works for remote control.

Any advises would be very appreciated.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Does the Flash drive still work in the USB A?

Have you tried a desk reset?

Profile photo of Petr
    Petr
    Participant

Not sure what you mean with USB A, but both flash stick and WD My Passport work fine when plugged to my Mac Pro, but nothing when plugged to mixer. I only can plug those to USB A port on mixer (has QU-drive label). The USB B port I use to connect to Mac, but that doesn’t work either.

I tried reset via shutting down mixer, than pressing Reset and Setup buttons when powering up. All faders went down so I believe it did the reset, although there was nothing written on display saying the reset was done. I also tried to reset my mac. Still looks like usb connectivity is broken.

Profile photo of Petr
    Petr
    Participant

I tried to unplug the mixed totally from power for few minutes. Did reset once again on power up. Now the functionality seams to be recovered. Detected in computer as audio interface and also working with usb drive. Strange. I guess I need to observe more if the issue keeps returning.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

I just started seeing the same issue in a QU-16 I purchased a couple of days ago. WD Passport plugged into QU-Drive port. It works for a while and then the drive powers down and isn’t recognized by the QU-16.

Profile photo of croydon_clothears
    croydon_clothears
    Participant

Western Digital My Passport drives have a power-saving function that effectively dismounts the drive from its host.
    While this isn’t an issue when connected to a PC/MAC computer (when demanded, the software command spins up the drive) on an audio streaming protocol such as Qu-Drive this makes the drive unavailable.
    Most USB-bus powered drives demand a spin-up current from the connection that is at the very least marginal to the 0.5Amp maximum allowed for in the global USB2.0 specification.
    The QU-series isn’t unique in falling over with bus-powered mechanical drives. The JoeCo Black Box Recorder devices don’t support ANY bus-powered drive.
    I would suggest that you look for an alternative drive that has its own external power supply and NO “sleep” function.

Profile photo of jonnyweston
    jonnyweston
    Participant

I also have experienced, and again after an update to v1.8 have now indefinitely suffered complete loss of USB.

Anyone yet discovered a complete solution for total
    USB loss.

Thanks
    JW

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I installed a QU24 this week. It had 1.73 on it from factory. I knew the client was wanting to get the App for iPad and knew it would be 1.8 so I formatted a thumbdrive and got 1.8 on my laptop then installed it on the QU. All went well. So far it seems ok. I did some test recordings.

My complaint on that is there is a folder for recordings and a folder for playback. When you record you cannot then playback without putting the drive into a computer and moving the files from the Rec folder to the play folder. I don’t understand why this was done this way. If memory serves me you can record/play on a GLD without the transfer. I have not setup my GLD80 demo unit to verify that. So far though the USB seems to be working. I will report if that changes.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I think we always had these two folders for stereo recording/playback. You can pick the one to use when selecting a track for playback. At least on my 1.8 this still works…

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Yeah. I just had never tried that. I tried to click on both but nothing opened. I have about 7 files in the record folder. I will try again.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Ok. At the church. It works now. I swear Fri I couldn’t get it to select the recording folder. Maybe I didn’t hit it hard enough. Thanks.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Ok. Recorded 43 min of pastors sermon this morning to USB thumbdrive. No problems. PNY 16GB drive.

Profile photo of jonnyweston
    jonnyweston
    Participant

Yep – we’re able to choose either recordings or playback when we tap on the little grey box to choose the audio source for playback.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.