Qu-Drive Recording to Multiple USB Drives

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Qu-Drive Recording to Multiple USB Drives

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Zach B.
    Zach B.
    Participant

On my Qu-24 system, I keep having issues with the multitrack recording showing as having errors and then when I try to play it back, it has lots of skips. It would be great if there was a way to record to 2 USB drives at the same time. Even if this was an external device that used the DLink port, that would still be fine with me. Just something to have a standalone recorder capable of either recording to its own storage and then transferring later, or to redundant external USB sticks. Alternatively, if there was a way to use a USB hub on the mixer’s USB port and use multiple drives with a firmware update, that would be good too.
    Thanks,
    Zach

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

I record our church’s sermons by recording the 2 wireless mics the pastors use to the qudrive stereo. I also record multitrack all our other stage mics along with the wireless ones to a laptop just in case something happens to their mic and they grab one of the stage mics or I get glitches on the qudrive (hasn’t been needed yet but it’s good insurance).

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@garyh – wouldn’t glitches affect all mikes simultaneously? Or can they affect separate channels??

We record LR out to a CD recorder direct. One of the audio honchos wants to use the Qu Drive but the other one does not.
    Based on many comments here and the problems we have finding a USB memory that will even format I tend to think QuDrive is too risky for us. How could we become confident that we could risk it to get everyone on board with using it ?

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

I meant glitches on the qudrive (which I’ve only had once several years ago). If this happens I have the multitrack recording on the laptop (I’ve never had a glitch on it).

I use the board recording to replace the audio from the camcorders we use that record in a compressed format.

volounteer
    Participant

@garyh – thanks. I thought you were doing a multi track on the QuDrive.

We used to do that with our video cameras but now we use the matrix out! direct into the camera mike input. I know, I know, there is a theoretical total mismatch but it works !
    We set the camera volume to absolute minimum. The camera AGC gives us good audio now without the noise problems we had had.

Saves the church secretary a lot of time from having to edit and splice the audio into the video before uploading to utoob.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

I do understand about the extra time thing. I spend several hours after the service editing our 2 camera shoots, adding a title and verses while they read them. I like the cleaner audio that comes from the board recording rather than using the audio recorded on the cameras. I do record from a group out into one of the cameras so it has a fairly clean recording and then use DaVinci Resolves sync by waveform feature to replace the camera audio with the board recorded audio. I then use the Fairlight page to notch out some of the bad frequencies for even cleaner speech. I export then make an mp3 from the export’s audio. Upload the final export to Vimeo and the mp3 to our website.

Profile photo of Zach B.
    Zach B.
    Participant

So I was at the board tonight and had some time to do some troubleshooting on the errors, and I found out that I was using a USB 2.0 flash drive which was not compatible with multitrack recording. Also, the USB 3.0 Drive that we had was not compatible. We are going to purchase a new, compatible USB 3.0 Drive and see how that works.

volounteer
    Participant

I hope you have better luck then we have had finding a USB that will work.
    too bad AH does not sell guaranteed USB memory and we have to have trial and error
    or go on a scavenger hunt for old out of production items that some database claims should work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.