qu drive recording problems

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions qu drive recording problems

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of britz
    britz
    Participant

Hi can anyone help me im having problem with qu drive multitrack recording ,whenever i record i get error after every 1 or 2 minutes of recording. Ive updated firmware 1.9 and since then im having this problem before that i recorded with 1.7 firmware but i never had problems even with errors the recordings were sounding proper but now it skips after the error.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I see two things wrong:

1. Not enough information provided to make more than a WAG and…

2. Citing a possible coincidental cause which can be a red herring to problem solving.

A longer story with more details will help. Include things like exact brand and model of recording media, formatting media and any attempts to do a fresh firmware update.
    At least that mch is required if not more.

Profile photo of britz
    britz
    Participant

when i do multitrack recording on my qu 16 i get errors in qu drive . i tried different usb sticks which are mentioned in the manual and ive formated them on my qu 16 but still im getting errors in my multitrack recording.and when i playback it skips. ive updated firmware 1.9 so is it because of the firmware?

Profile photo of Greg
    Greg
    Participant

You’re not alone, I’m experiencing something similar. I was a Qu-16 user for a good while, and then I switched to the QuPac when it came out. I never had any recording glitches with the Qu16, but I get them all the time with the QuPac.

I had assumed it was something hardware related. I was using the same USB drive (a 128 GB Kingston HyperX) on both Qu devices. Never had a problem on the Qu16, but I almost always get one or two errors on the QuPac.

I guess it could be firmware version related. I haven’t gone back and upgraded my Qu16 because I never use it any more…

I even switched from the HyperX to a USB drive (a 1 TB Intenso USB3.0 drive). The Intenso is noticeably faster, at least in terms of how responsive the QuPac user interface becomes (compared to the HyperX). But I still get the recording errors on the QuPac.

I’d love a solution to this. All it takes is a single recording error to wreck an entire song. It’s very frustrating.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Never managed an error on a SanDisk Wxtreme – even without regular formatting…

That’s on Fw 1.5 through 1.9 inclusive

Profile photo of britz
    britz
    Participant

i never had this problem with firmware 1.7

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

My experience is the same as Bob’s.

No errors ever with my SanDisk Extremes (both 32GB & 64GB)
    from Version 1.{whatever the first one to support multitrack was} all the way to 1.9.
    That’s on Qu-16 from when they started, and a Qu-Pac in the last couple of years.

Profile photo of Al
    Al
    Participant

In the last few weeks I’ve experienced “error” messages while recording as well, but noticed that it might be correlated to instances of clipping.
    With one “punky” band, I noticed that I got “error” messages during a song where the bassist banged hard on his strings, and caused a bit of clipping.
    With another more “heavy metal” act, the singer had a vocal processor that he decided to turn the volume up on without warning me. This caused a few seconds of clipping before I could readjust my preamp gain.
    In both instances, When I got a chance to mixdown the tracks, there were “hiccups” and “skips” almost exactly where the clipping had occurred.
    Is this a known side effect of allowing clipping to happen while using the Qu Drive, and if so, might this explain the OP’s issue?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Interesting – was this clipping the level going to the recording, or only clipping the input level?

Profile photo of Al
    Al
    Participant

As far as I could tell, I would only “see” meter clipping indicators flash, which would prompt the adjustments on the gain settings.
    At a certain juncture, I just happened to have my display screen on the QuDrive page, and noticed the “error count” tab up in conjunction with instances of the clip indicators flashing.
    I wasn’t able to pick up on any discernible artifacts on the WAV’s themselves, other than for the “hiccuping/skipping”, which correlated to the moments just prior to the WAV noticeably getting “turned down”.
    Purely circumstantial evidence, I know… but still.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Just to remember that the clip indicator starts flashing at -3dBFS, so the digital signal still may be perfectly ok. I don’t think that clipping affects recording in any means. The QuDrive just writes data blocks to the disk, which should not depend on the “loudness of Bits” inside the data block.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’ve written clipped signal without glitches (to confirm the 3dB measurement and the visual indicator from audacity)

Profile photo of Cata
    Cata
    Participant

Hello,
    I experienced one problem with recording in QU-drive stereo. My record files .waw have very low audio level and need to normalize with other aplication on my PC. Hao I could control the recording level ? Thank you in advance !
    Catalin.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

New thread time, or maybe a forum search.
    Levels depend on what you send to QuDrive – but they are also 24bits deep. So there is an insane amount of headroom/flexibility available.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.