Qu Drive question

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu Drive question

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robbocurry robbocurry 9 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RobJ
    RobJ
    Participant

Hi all,

I finally have a QU-PAC on the way. Should be here Tuesday. I have a question though dealing with recording. Let’s say I’m doing a benefit and have 5 to 6 acts and would like to multitrack record them all. Rather than let the recording go on for 6 hours, can I stop and save after each performance? That way I’d have smaller files to deal with when chopping the songs out individually. I wouldn’t have to worry about going over the file size for the stereo file. I could also give each group a quick stereo copy of their performance. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Rob

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Yes, you can. You can configure your soft keys to stop and start the recordings too. Re the stereo copy, you can’t record multitrack and stereo using only the qu-drive at the same time. One way around it is to record 18 tracks to qu-drive, with 1-16 being individual channels and 17-18 being LR (they’re all freely assignable,) then give your acts copies of 17&18. You could also record multitrack over USB-B to a DAW, and simultaneously use qu-drive for a stereo recording. Finally, you could use qu-drive or the USB-B for your multitrack recording and route your LR to the alt-out socket, and use that to feed an analogue recorder of some description.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

You can, and with different acts you’ll likely be fine – but beware that arming the recording takes time…

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

What Bob said but arming time much faster if using an approved usb pen rather than an hdd.

Profile photo of RobJ
    RobJ
    Participant

Thanks so much for the replies. I have a Sandisk Extreme 32gb on the way. Also a WD Elements 500gb HD. So if I understand right, when I stop the recording, it will finish writing the files. Then when I start it again by arming the unit and it will create another directory for the next round of multitrack files? When finished, I would have 5 or 6 different directories, one for each act. I can then use tracks 17 and 18, if set up that way, to make a stereo file, dither down to 44.1 and 16bit and put on a CD to give out?

Rob

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Correct – or drop the 48K24bit files onto a CD as data…

Depends on the time you have mostly.
    The stop is pretty quick, but IIRC it tries to queue the existing project automatically – when you then hit rec it “arms” the files – and this can take time…

Profile photo of RobJ
    RobJ
    Participant

Excellent Bob. Thanks. Can’t wait to get the Qu-PAC tomorrow and play around with it. I’m assuming all those recording functions can be set in soft keys and be done remotely?

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Yup, soft keys have it covered 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.