Qu-drive multitrack audio levels at playback

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-drive multitrack audio levels at playback

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of 1000Keys 1000Keys 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 1000Keys
    1000Keys
    Participant

When I do a multitrack recording to Qu-Drive (USB Flash Key in USB port on top of the mixer), I understand that the signal is recorded from the channel inserts, i.e. post preamp (=post input GAIN), but pre any further processing. Correct?

When I want to playback the multitrack recording from Qu-Drive, I have to switch the source for the input channels from e.g. “local” to “USB > Qu-Drive” in order to get the signals into the mixer again. Correct?

If I
    a) do not change anything else between recording and playback, or if I
    b) recall the stored scene from the recording session for playback and switch the inputs to Qu-Drive (or block the input settings with scene filters before recalling the scene,
    then I should hear exactly the same like I did when it was recorded (i.e. the same FX, fader levels etc. would be applied to the signal), correct?

I understand that the playback signals will be inserted after (local) input GAIN (or better: ignoring it, because the local input preamps are not used for USB source inputs), but pre processing. Therefore the signals will not be amped again, but have exactly the same level in the mixer processing chain as they had in the recording session. Correct?

Additionally, there is a special Qu-Drive GAIN in each channels respectively, so I can adjust levels. The Qu-Drive GAIN can also TRIM, so I could reduce the signal from Qu-Drive. Correct?

I would be glad to hear if the assumptions that I derived from the Qu-16 signal flow sheet are right or if I just plainly misunderstand the whole thing.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

When I do a multitrack recording to Qu-Drive (USB Flash Key in USB port on top of the mixer), I understand that the signal is recorded from the channel inserts, i.e. post preamp (=post input GAIN), but pre any further processing. Correct?

By default yes, but this can be changed. You can record pre-insert, or you can record from the channel’s direct out. Whichever you choose is a global option: all channels sent to Qu-Drive at the insert point or all channels sent to Qu-Drive at the DO point. The thing is the direct out tap point can be moved throughout the channel’s signal chain, although it is a global option: if you move it to post-eq because you want to record the effect of the Qu16’s eq settings, it’ll be post-eq on every channel. PS the DO’s position in the signal chain can affect signals being sent to ME-1s if you’re using those, so plan ahead. If you do choose the DO option there is a trim for it if required.

When I want to playback the multitrack recording from Qu-Drive, I have to switch the source for the input channels from e.g. “local” to “USB > Qu-Drive” in order to get the signals into the mixer again. Correct?

You change it from Local\Remote to USB. There is a global definition for whether “USB” refers to the Qu-Drive on top of the console or the USB-B socket on the rear of the console. As long as the USB input is configured as Qu-Drive then you’re just changing the input source from Local\Remote to USB. You can set up scenes with the appropriate safes/filters to just change the input source, then assign their recall to a couple of softkeys to quickly change between preamp/USB input if that helps your workflow.

If I…

Correct

Re gain:
    If your signals make it into the Qu-Drive at -18dBFS then that’s what they’ll be played back at. You have a digital trim on each Qu-Drive channel to boost or attenuate the signal, but by default it’s set at unity: ie no change, so no amping the signal, unless you set the input channel’s digital trim to > 0.

HTH

Profile photo of 1000Keys
    1000Keys
    Participant

Thanks a lot, this was very helpful!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.