Qu Drive Disk Errors

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu Drive Disk Errors

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of croydon_clothears croydon_clothears 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Hi all,
    I would greatly appreciate any help regarding qu drive. I have used 4 different hard drives with the qu32 (firmware 1.7) for multitrack recording. Each time I’ve used the qu32 to format the disk as the manual states. Once recording the qu shows “errors” and racks up more and more errors as the recording continues. On playback all sounds great but I have multiple skips in the music.
    I used the WD My Passport Ultra 500gig (wdbpgc5000abk) last Saturday as a test. Formatted properly w Qu. Hit record and in an hours gig racked up 77 errors. Music has multiple skips on playback. I recorded two other sets on that disk, same thing. I did have subs 15′ away but nothing that should have effected the performance of the drive.
    I used the Seagate srd00f1 500 gig slim portable, Qu wouldn’t Format.
    So I thought I’d spring for an SSD drive. Plugged in a Samsung T1. Qu wouldn’t format. Later I learned you have to set it up first but even my laptop w windows 7 wouldn’t run it.
    The best luck I’ve had is with a Toshiba (model?), it still had errors and skips.

I wondering if my Qu Mixer has issues. It works great other than Qu drive. The rest of the story is I booked a gig in two weeks where I MUST successfully capture the multitrack audio. Please advise on what I may be doing wrong or what else I can try.

With Appreciation
    Jason

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

You can get skips and errors if your hard-drive is subject to vibration or physical shocks, bumps, etc. Make sure you have it situated so that the spinning disc is stable.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Dick Rees
    Participant

Thanks, Bob.

I’d forgotten all about that one.

DR

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

? OK that made me laugh, thanks I needed that. Point taken. Apparently hdd drives need to be softly spoken to and nurtured like a baby. This instantly makes me wonder how all of this is supposed to work when the Qu mixer is designed for live sound work which is inherently loud and full of vibrations!? The drive was carefully placed under the mixer and never bumped, however it is set up on side stage near a working band.
    I need this thing to be dead on the reliable. Nothing less is acceptable. Is there an STD driv I need this thing to be dead on the reliable. Nothing less is acceptable. Is there an SSD drive that is known to work well with the Qu? This way vibrations are a not a factor. I’ve read the SanDisk thumb drive works great but it’s only 64 gig, I need at least 250gigs for 4 hours recording. I don’t mind buying four of them but stopping and starting in the show would be an issue.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Either place the drive on thick, soft foam or use Sandisk Extreme sticks.

Check the A&H “approved drives” list to see what’s up with SSD’s.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’d go with SSDs – the subs are far worse than shouting…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Each Qu track consumes about 8.24MBytes per minute, ~500MBytes per hour, 2 GBytes per four hours, by 18 Tracks is 36 GBytes multitrack recording for four hours. Using a 64 GByte stick you’re able to record nearly two sessions…
    Understanding QuDrive

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

I will try isolating from vibrations as suggested, something makes me think there is more going on though. With the WD Hdd I started getting errors before the music even started…if I’m remembering correctly. I’m going to go find a Sandisk Extreme and try that too.
    Thanks for all the replies. Am I the only one that’s had issues of this kind? I don’t see other posts where people are having these problems.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…others probably all using the Extreme stick or similar (you may want to go through the sticky QuDrive compatibility thread as well).

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’d suggest trying the QU in a quiet environment – recording silence is as hard on the disc as recording music, but at least you can eliminate vibration…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Spinning drives still may do some internal calibration from time to time, so with the obviously small buffers inside the Qu I’d still pick a stick for QuDrive recording.

Profile photo of croydon_clothears
    croydon_clothears
    Participant

I’m currently using my QU-24 with a Sandisk Cruzer Blade 128GB USB stick drive.
    From the Qu-Drive port that gives me over 8 hours recording with the 18 tracks available.
    So far (10 weeks daily use) I’ve had no issues with errors.
    For streaming via the rear 32/32 USB port we’ve used both Windows with Adobe Audition and MAC with Logic Pro and ProTools.
    Our favourite drive here is a Glyph RAID array which is two 1TB drives mirroring (in RAID 1 format) either via USB or Firewire from the host computer.
    We use a chunk of vibration damping foam that we got from a plumber’s merchant, usually used to quiet down shower-pumps, underneath the drive and this seems to do the business!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.